A better days fishing.

Mrs Munch

Site Supporter
Today we opted to go to Toms Pond in Otley. We haven't been here for a year and half and only went then as I had only just started fishing at the back end of the season so for practice we went to do a bit of trout fishing. I really wish we had gone back sooner as we had a lovely day at a lovely venue with even the Sun making a joyful appearance.

IMG_20220426_111521242[217].jpg

IMG_20220426_111515857[218].jpg

As some of you know I have been having difficulty with the method feeder and to be honest I have been shying away from it a little bit. Last time I went out, was my first time in quite a few months and the feeder just did not agree with me. No matter what I did I could not get a bite, meanwhile the Mr. was catching fish after fish so sadly after a couple of hours I bailed and when back to the waggler rod that I know and love and I did a lot better and got some confidence back.

So, this time out I decided to start on the waggler. My casting has improved a lot with this rod and so has my confidence. I have learned to correct mistakes and my frustrations are a lot less than they used to be. I just wish I could transfer this success to the method feeder but I am not going to give up on it.

Anyway, as I were saying, I start on the waggle and got the first fish of the day. A not too shabby sized roach. The Mr. was on the feeder and started catching a little while after me but that is where my waggler success left me! :rolleyes: I was fishing just out in front and to the right of me, I really wanted to be fishing the island in front but my accuracy with the waggler just isn't good enough to do that without getting snag after snag on the island. After about an hour and half I decided there was only one thing to do to be able to fish where I want and that was to get the method feeder back out. Fingers crossed and several prayers to the fish Gods later, to my surprise my prayers were answered. I could not have had a better day. All in all I matched the Mr. for fish, got one that matched my personal best at 7.5lbs and a good few more of a good side. What a difference a week makes. Here's a few of my favourites.

IMG-20220426-WA0000[223]1.jpg

IMG_20220426_124156159[216].jpg

IMG_20220426_131106467[215].jpg

IMG_20220426_141149240[213].jpg

IMG_20220426_165604064[214].jpg

and not forgetting the Mr. Apart from equipment difficulties (loosing hook links, method feeders and the escaping fish from hell) he had a decent day too with his best of the day weighing in at a nice 8lb. Well done. :)

IMG_20220426_100411125_BURST000_COVER_TOP[225].jpg

IMG_20220426_100342513[219].jpg

I have no idea what I did differently this time to last time. Maybe it was just that it wasn't my lucky day last time out. Whatever the reason I have a bit more confidence with the method and after the lesson with Jamie Harrison on 14th that the Mr. booked for himself and that I'm gate crashing, hopeful I'll develop the method a little more.

I won't bore you with a long write up as I have to go pack my suitcase as I've been let loose with the girls and going for a nice little jolly to Portugal on Thursday. Happy bleeding sunshine days. Sorry Mr Munch but :flipa: :laugh:

Happy fishing everyone

Clare Bear
:beautiful:🐻😘

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
They look like pegs 14/15 ?

Awesome dangling, it's a great little place and the fish certainly put up a bit of a fight, like they're on steroids :D

Mrs Munch

Site Supporter
the fish certainly put up a bit of a fight, like they're on steroids
You're not bloody wrong there. Even some of the smaller ones can give you a good run for you money. Great fun though. 😍

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
It was a good day and i have to say I was very happy for the Mrs to finally get some confidence using the method feeder. She did really well but as she admits the session with Jamie Harrison will undoubtedly bring her even more confidence. Pre tied Preston Hooklinks... Room 101 for those! .17 so 6.7lb all with bayonette... I went through a whole thingie bob of them (6 in all) and all of them snapped at the hook leaving a pigs tail at the end. Back to tying my own again! Also had a nightmare for about an hour and managed to lose 4 Dura Banjo's. 1 was my fault, the other 3 were line breaking. In the first 45 mins I had about 18lb banked and I thought I was going to be on a flyer, then the disasters started. Had a stern word with myself and stripped some line off both setups and got going again after an hour of snapping off and losing my cool.
However it was a great day out with plenty caught and to top it off we went to Maypole fisheries in Otley for Fish N chips in the car after.
I just need to go to Bobco now and replenish my banjo stock!

Total

Site Supporter
@Mrs Munch ......Cracking report and glad to see your both catching a few....:).....Enjoy Portugal and don't be a stranger on here, either of you....Take care....;)(y)

Mrs Munch

Site Supporter
@Mrs Munch ......Cracking report and glad to see your both catching a few....:).....Enjoy Portugal and don't be a stranger on here, either of you....Take care....;)(y)
Thanks I will 😁

I do try not to be a stranger on here but I get lost in work, as I'm a bit if a work-a-holic and can't say no when they need cover 😩. I'll post/comment on here and before I know it 2 weeks has gone by and the post has long gone. 🀦
Hoping no-one thinks I'm been rude if I don't reply to posts/comments. I do try but I'm useless. πŸ˜•

Hope you are well Total. Take care too.

:beautiful: 😍

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well done Clare and good to see that you've not let the method get the better of you.
Bernie, everyone has a session like that occasionally but good to see you both getting back out on the bank.
Nice report and pictures.
Have a good break in Portugal Clare. :upthumb:

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Nice write up and a fab session guys - good that you’ve had success on the method Mrs M, there are days when I doubt my sanity for going onto the method but other days when I’ve bagged up and realise some times the fish just aren’t there or aren’t having it.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Great to read you and err yes even 'him' are out of hibernation Clare. I was beginning to think that the Mr was no more :ghost:and you were on the run and staying off the grid. :ROFLMAO: Seriously though good to hear you both had a good day out and you have slayed the method feeder Hoodoo.

Bernie feel your pain at losing 4 Banjo feeders brother, I am still in morning for Freddy the feeder and Billy the bait band both lost to the River Trent last year. 😭😭😭

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
It was a good day and i have to say I was very happy for the Mrs to finally get some confidence using the method feeder. She did really well but as she admits the session with Jamie Harrison will undoubtedly bring her even more confidence. Pre tied Preston Hooklinks... Room 101 for those! .17 so 6.7lb all with bayonette... I went through a whole thingie bob of them (6 in all) and all of them snapped at the hook leaving a pigs tail at the end. Back to tying my own again! Also had a nightmare for about an hour and managed to lose 4 Dura Banjo's. 1 was my fault, the other 3 were line breaking. In the first 45 mins I had about 18lb banked and I thought I was going to be on a flyer, then the disasters started. Had a stern word with myself and stripped some line off both setups and got going again after an hour of snapping off and losing my cool.
However it was a great day out with plenty caught and to top it off we went to Maypole fisheries in Otley for Fish N chips in the car after.
I just need to go to Bobco now and replenish my banjo stock!
Make your own banjos.
Milk bottle tops, glue, tubing and either roofing lead from cut offs or 2 pence pieces.