A Beginners Guide To Paste Fishing

muskrat

STAY ALERT
Site Supporter
Originally posted by jack2007

i may sound a bit dumb but every 1s talkin about using it on pole does it work on rod and line?
It will work just as well on rod and line. But you might have some
problems getting it where you want it without it falling off the hook.

If you are planning on fishing a rod-length from the bank or closer,
then you can gently position your paste using rod and line.
Any further out and you start having to 'swing' your bait out which
will cause it to fall off more often than not. Casting is right out.

You *could* make your paste very stiff so it stays glued to the hook,
but that rather defeats the object of paste fishing.

Gazhilla

Pasted to Death
You can use a ery dry paste on a paste spring, I did last year at White acres, breaks down very quick like the sloppy does but stays on during the cast.

bill k

To all the paste fishers out there , why do people make it sound difficult, feed what you use on the hook ,ie swim stim micro, 3mm ,4mm and so on, die ,or flavour your paste as you would your micro . Mix paste from pellet , use micro for a quicker and better cosistency , i mix the night before.MIX IT ON THE DAY GET IT WRONG AND ITS GONNA PUT YOU BEHIND if it wont work on the hook its too late when the whistle goes.IM NO ONE JUST FISHED ALL MY LIFE .Bill.

bill k

Paste Fishing AH ,its simple fish what you feed ,mix the night before , and try on the hook, mould it and see how it holds,THE NIGHT BFORE.Mix on the day get it wrong, its too late when the whistle has gone.Swim stim micro,3mm,4mm, etc ,i fnd micro with hot water and nead until all large bits have gone, then push it through a fine sieve. Feed swim stim micro and a few pieces of torn paste , DO NOT FEED AGAIN UNTIL YOU GET BITES.(DONT FEED STRAIGHT OFF FISH THE PASTE ON THE HOOK FIRST).Remember every time you strike and miss you leave bait on the bottom .NO NEED TO FEED.Top Tip, ALWAYS PUT A PIECE OF SILICONE ON THE TIP OF YOUR POLE FLOAT AND FEED YOUR LINE THROUGH it stops line tangles TRY IT , WOT A DIFFERENCE.[:)]

limbrick

Thank you for your artical Gazhilla very informative i will give it a go this weekend im in a fishing club at swan lake thorpe culvert near wainfleet skegness

Col7777

As for keeping it on the hook, try those ready made paste hair rigs, it is a hair rig but instead of a loop dangling below the hook there is a small roundish metal spring.
Mould the paste round it and it holds very well, I use rod and line and it casts OK and stays on, I expect using a pole it will be great.

moby dick

hi im a newbie to the forum just wondering where you guys buy your groundbait from and your paste ingredients from as i want to try fishing for carp with pastes,

jaws

I've just seen this post but this morning for the first time I made my own paste, I already had some bought bloodworm paste and I used this for my benchmark to get the right consistency for the paste I was knocking up, what I did was use a mixture of groundbait I already had along with some original pellets I had which I soaked in hot water along with some worm flavouring and one white of an egg, I mix it all together adding until I got a nice consistency similar to the bloodworm, it will tried out tomorrow.

Meat Master

as pools fodder says its any sharp movement that should b hit not sailaways these are 90% liners in my opinion. to explain the speed a carp sucks in a bait is lightning and that is what u are lookin to spot on ur float.

Meat Master

also the reason hot water is better on swimstim is it makes it a much smoother texture and breaks down more evenly on the deck.

PikeyP

I do fish paste a lot and wrote this for the TF website a while ago.
Hope some MD's find it interesting and useful.

Pasteheads of the World Unite !

It is my intention to convert the whole of the match fishing fraternity. As we all know that PASTE fishing is the only PROPER fishing !

Firstly, as I have said all along, there is no right and wrong way to fish paste, just what suits each individual on the venue / venues that they fish. Since starting my paste fishing adventures, I have found that there are Easy and Hard paste venues. The easy ones are usually venues where the fish havent seen paste often, they are used to hoovering up pellets that have turned into a mush having broken down in the water and a piece of paste that looks like some mushy pellets is very effective. However, after a while, having been caught on paste a few hundred times, the fish wise up (as they do with any bait) Ive found that you then need to start to Mess about with your paste, changing the flavour and texture to keep getting bites. At Willinghurst where I fish a lot, the fish are now big and clever and gone are the days when you can just stick a big blob of hard paste on the hook with the float sticking 3 inches out of the water and catch.
Anyway, as I said, everyone has different ideas about how to fish paste and what is the best paste to use, however, this is how I make and fish mine. Like tying your own flies for trout fishing, there is no better feeling than catching on a paste that you have made yourself.

Paste Rigs
There are some brilliant paste floats around nowdays but with most of my paste fishing being in shallow water from 2-5 foot, I use the Maver Margin Paste floats in 4x12 and 4x14, these have a lovely long cane bristle which I find easy to Read bites on. The Shot or No Shot debate would go on forever but personally I have found that shot is much better and always use a few number 8 shot to shot the float to the base of the bristle and because I nearly always fish dead depth, the paste acts as another shot and pulls the tip down so that about an inch is sticking above the surface. Bites will mainly be Unders but you do get some Lifts. If the paste comes off then the float will lift up as well. My rule is that if the float lifts then strike as it could be that a fish has just picked up the paste. Because most of the carp waters I fish are highly coloured then I dont think line diameter makes any difference and most of my fishing is done with 0.18 G Line attached to a size 10 or 12 B911 hook. The only other requirements for a paste rig are, some sensible elastic, so you arent playing a fish for hours when they are really feeding well elastic is like paste when it comes to preferences and exactly the same rule applies, each to their own !

One of the most important pieces of kit for paste fishing is a paste cup to put it in when you ship out. It doesnt matter what cup you use as long as it is light and I attach mine by threading some red hydro or similar thick elastic through two holes drilled in the bottom of the cup and tied underneath. This means I can slide the pot over the tip of my pole and then position it anywhere up to 3 feet from the end of the pole. If you try and use the Toss Pot type of cups, you usually cant slide the pot far enough up you pole and this means a lot of tangles when you ship out.

As far as paste mixes are concerned, I have tried loads and will continue to do so as I seek the Holy Grail of pastes !
Nearly all of my pastes are based on the use of 3mm Green Swim Stim Pellets I have used this since I first started paste fishing and find that the texture is better than when using the groundbait.
I prepare my pastes like this:-

Take half a bag of pellets and pour them into a shallow drennan square tray.

Get a jug and put in any flavouring that you want to add.

Pour boiling water into the jug and stir.

Pour the water over the pellets until they are just covered.

Leave it until it has cooled enough to touch the mix without burning your hands !

Grate the pellets through a maggot riddle twice and then put in the fridge overnight.

In the morning, take the bag of paste mix with you to the match I know loads of people who have failed to do this bit !

Put the paste in a round tupperware bowl and add a little water until you get the right consistency this is the bit I cant teach and its just trial and error.

Then BAG UP !

That is the way I prepare my basic paste mix.

The flavours I have added at the mixing stage include:-
Garam Masala Very good on some waters.
Scopex Caught fish but not loads but I know others catch on it.
Molasses Good
Peanut Butter Went very sticky, I didnt catch much with it but I know of others who have.

I have also used a 50/50 mix of swim stim pellets and dynamite baits meaty marine pellet groundbait (the one in a tin). Push it through a riddle so it is very fine then mix it with the pellets and follow the instructions above. This has been a brilliant paste on some waters.

Most times I use paste I want a Granular mix (if you use paste you will know what I mean) as I think these break down better and look more natural to the fish.

So basically, thats how I fish paste and how I make it, its not exactly rocket science and all you need is a bit of confidence in what you are doing.

If you are looking for things to add to your paste then it is worth having a look round some of the carp sections of your local tackle shop or checking out somewhere like the Hinders or Carp Vader websites as I have used a lot of the products in the past.

I hope this info helps you in some way, I am always happy to answer Paste questions, I am no expert by any means but just love catching fish on my own pastes and trying out new recipes.

GARYCATCH

Hello gazhilla, have you heard of, or used yellow toffee paste made from yellow toffee groundbait ?? also to you know where i can buy it from????cheers

pastehead

ive had succses with different paste and i mix them all the same 1 pint of groundbait (whatever type you prefer) to 1 and a quater pints of water. stir it well and leave it over night. i dont put any shot on the line as i think it could pull the hook out of the paste. the floats i use are self cockers either kc cocker in a 4x12 or the maver j series these have an extra eye on near the tip. i also have a length of lead core about 12 inches long between the pole tip and line to stop ant movement in the rig. the water that i fish doesnt give typical paste bite so i strike at all indications

cannyatton

Site Supporter
Just to add to the already excellent posts on paste fishing, I would like to recommend two floats which I find excellent for fishing paste.

The floats are made by Malman Floats.

One is called the F1 Paste Float which is suitable for F1's and smaller carp and is available in three sizes 4 x 12, 4 x 14 and 4 x 16.

The second float is called SC Paste. It's a self cocking float designed to fish large lumps of paste without any shotting down the line.It comes in two sizes, small for fishing water 2-5 feet deep and large for water 4 feet+.
This second float is new this year and I have only used them three times to date but I have been delighted with them.

You can have a look at them at www.malmanfloats.com

Steve G

The Master
Just buy some paste with pedigree mixing instructions on web site, take note of the fermentation bit.

http://www.miraclebaits.com/online/how-to-use-miracle-paste/

ren180

It maybe a bit late on this post, but a failsafe paste mix for carp is ground van de eyne micras green swimstim & (cheap but very affective) kosida black & purple cat meat,you can usually buy it from Lidl's supermarket. liquidise cat meat & add an even mix of ground micras & swimstim until sloppy enough to stay on the hook.

Big pot in with hemp, obviously in the summer months & your float will be dancing & burying all day on carp comercials [;)]

fourmations

hi all

quick question

you have been saying to fish what you feed...

on the venue in going to tmw
betaine green swimstim is doing the biz well apparently

i picked up a bag of the groundbait today
(i could not get the pellets)

i have sonubaits findlay 2mm feed pellets
and have made a paste with them and some sieved
sonubait method mix, which has added crushed hemp and
whatever other goodies to my paste,

so, here my options as far as i can see...

1: scrap the swimstim and fish paste over pellet (same brand)
2: try a swimstim paste over the other pellets anyway
3: make a swimstim paste and feed smaller bits or let the paste do the feeding
4: add swimstim to the paste i have already made
5: stop worrying so much!

cheers!