A 1st after 60yrs angling.

Robwooly

Happened to me too, I'm going to do a blog post about this chap one day, I saw it coming but didn't think it would if that makes sense, whilst not the best shot I managed to get it on camera, it was this time of year a couple of years ago, my biggest roach of the day taking off into the woods, surreal.

IMG_4779.JPG

Millers Thumb

Site Supporter
Happened to me too, I'm going to do a blog post about this chap one day, I saw it coming but didn't think it would if that makes sense, whilst not the best shot I managed to get it on camera, it was this time of year a couple of years ago, my biggest roach of the day taking off into the woods, surreal.

IMG_4779.JPG
WOW dont know how you managed that robwooly, it was all over in a split second and all i was bothered about was keeping hold of my pole.

Stufer63

Think I was on the same pond at Ravenfield yesterday. Heron didn't bother me ........probably because I wasn't catching!

Robwooly

Jeff1948

Had a heron gull take a piece of meat out of the air when fishing the Bristol avon for chub, unhooked it ok and as I let it go it pooed all over my arm not nice. My wife had a tug of war with a seal after hooking a mackerel from Berry Head Brixham she lost that one.

baggy

Mark Saunders
Had a heron gull take a piece of meat out of the air when fishing the Bristol avon for chub, unhooked it ok and as I let it go it pooed all over my arm not nice. My wife had a tug of war with a seal after hooking a mackerel from Berry Head Brixham she lost that one.
My dad once hooked a Cormorant at Berry Head, he lost it too when it took off

rudd

Site Supporter
Exactly my thoughts. Honestly surprised nobody asked sooner then we both ask at the same time 🤷‍♂️
Stalking Carp with floaters.
Had a chum mixer glued to hook ready to go in readiness.
Sneaking behind bankside foliage, put rod, bag, net and matt down so I could flick in some freebies.
Baited hook placed on matt next to reel.
Sat behind the vegetation in full camo soon had some interest.
After ten minutes or so all hell broke loose with a screaming run - along the bank.
Our friendly pheasant who some old timers had been regularly feeding had managed to out fox me and whilst attempting to get to the mixer had tangled his legs in my line, I heard a sound, turn round, startled him and off he went followed by my rod!
I chased him and had to net the old chap!
Got scratched to bits by his hackles and pecked alot but soon had him released unharmed.
He disappeared for good a few weeks later. The gentry had a few rough shoots a year through the estate and there were also plenty of foxes about.

Simon R

Site Supporter
I was fishing down at Cundall on the Swale about this time last year - I had a rod out for pike with a deadbait just flicked into a near bank slack under a bush. Just tucking into lunch and I got a huge drop back bite, picked the rod up and moments later this huge cormorant launched itself out of the water about six feet away with my deadbait clamped firmly in its beak. I had visions of doing battle with the bloody horrible thing but fortunately it had avoided the hooks and dropped the bait.

Other than the cormorant the only other birds I've hooked have been the usual ducks, coots, a half-grown Canada goose and a swan - landed them all apart from the swan which wasn't actually hooked but had become entangled in my line due to not picking its feet up whilst swimming across it - worked itself free eventually.

Simon

crusty

Site Supporter
I once had a crow try to take my crust off the surface.
It tried a couple of times but really struggled to hover and put it's head down to grab. It was so clumsy it was laughable.

I guessed it must have been starving to go to so much trouble, so I walked around to the tree it was recovering in and dropped a few freebies.

Ian

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've remembered another time when I did actually hook a duck, much to my embarrassment, as a kid fishing meat shallow on the pole at Woodlands View. I got it in and my dad unhooked it for me and returned it. Won't be doing that again. :unsure:

Simon R

Site Supporter
I once had a crow try to take my crust off the surface.
Crows are not the best swimmers - a pair of crows tried a similar thing but got beaten up by the local coots - then the ducks joined in

Amotherby Pond in the mid 90s

Simon

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Christchurch harbour in the mid-90s. Cast a bomb out and didn't see it land. Then saw the line going up... oops! Pulled the rod in a kind of striking action, and a seagull literally (well, almost literally) fell out of its flock and dropped down in the water. This was all much to the disgust of a passing woman (who was tutting and moaning about it). I reeled it in and the poor gull was a bit tangled, so the same woman decided to become "Bird Rescuer" and jumped off the wall on to the shore to untangle it. She grabbed the gull, but as she tried to free it, the gull grabbed her...ON THE CHEEK :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: It wouldn't let go either, LOL. I'll never forget the sight of her trying to prise the thing's beak off her cheek!

That'll teach her not to meddle :p

Davethefish

Site Supporter
Crows are not the best swimmers - a pair of crows tried a similar thing but got beaten up by the local coots - then the ducks joined in

Amotherby Pond in the mid 90s

Simon
That Crow wouldn't have got out alive if it wasn't for its air support ! :)

Midwater Brand Manager

Site Supporter
Landed my first (and only) Black Headed Gull when I was about 11, wobbling a silverfish for pike when it swooped from nowhere as the fish hit the water on the cast, picked up the fish and proceeded to fly off. Played the gull for a few seconds in the air lol and managed to reel it into the bank. Not sure who was most shocked, me or the damn bird. Unhooked it and it flew off (I was really surprised how light it was given how big they look flying about). You see some strange events when fishing!

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
Fishing a couple of weeks ago, I struck into a bite, felt a good fish, but weird , I played it in, there was a roach on the hook, and one, jammed in me cage feeder👍👍👍👍, that was a first for me