90 Gaffes in 90 Years - Prince Phillip

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Originally posted by Geoff P

Originally posted by G0zzer2

But were they Gaffes. The man suits my moggishness. Say what you think, mean what you say.
So could anyone tell me exactly what a 'gaffe' is, please? Is it a comment that offends someone? Or perhaps something that is incorrect?

Gaffe :- an unintentional act or remark causing embarrassment to its originator; a blunder.

Our Gert says ive got a masters Degree in Gaffing [:T]

G0zzer2

Site Supporter

Originally posted by G0zzer2

But were they Gaffes. The man suits my moggishness. Say what you think, mean what you say.
So could anyone tell me exactly what a 'gaffe' is, please? Is it a comment that offends someone? Or perhaps something that is incorrect?

Gaffe :- an unintentional act or remark causing embarrassment to its originator; a blunder.

Isn't google wonderful!!!!!

In that case it's wasn't a gaffe - because I understand that Prince Phillip wasn't embarrassed about any of those remarks, at least I have seen no report to say that he was.

So I believe the media has it wrong.

Phoenixicus

Account Locked
Will the editors of the following media sources below, please recall all printed and delete digital copies where you have used the word GAFFE for comments Prince Phillip has made.
A chap on Maggotdrowners said you are all wrong to use this word.

Apologies to those that have been missed, as there are far to many to list.

BBC
Youtube
Wikiqiuotes
CNN
Amazon
AOL
Google
MSN
Yahoo
Aljazeera
Daily Express
Daily Mail
Daily Mirror
Daily Star
Guardian
Times
Telegraph
Daily Record
Huffington Post
Independant
Daily Telegraph
Metro
The Sun
Spectator

[:D][:D][:p]

Last edited:

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Embarrassed id like to try that, what is it ?

Last edited:

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Hope im still P1ssing people off when im 90 whether it be a Gaff, slip of the tongue, My Racist Tourettes or plain just not give a **** [:T]But im with Geoff, Say what i like and like what i say [^]

Last edited:

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
In fact im now gonna try to be more Diplomatically understanding and political correct towards everyone [:T]

Phoenixicus

Account Locked
To quote a legend of his time

"Say what you think, mean what you say-If you do not like it you have no idea how many sh!ts I could not give."

[:D][:D]

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Phoenixicus - sorry. I was a journalist for 20 years and always believed that reports should be correct...every word!!!!!! Does that sound wrong to you?

The fact that the BBC and the Sun et al describe something as a gaffe doesn't mean that it is! I would describe these as jocular remarks. If the BBC wishes to ascribe an insult to any of them it should explain its reasons, but it never has, to my knowledge. Nor has it ever quoted the Prince as having been embarrassed. I would not take exception to someone making a joke of people who are very deaf (which I am) and I have no reason to suppose that anyone the butt of one of the Prince's jocular remarks has taken offence. The bottom line is that they are not gaffes!

If the BBC or any of the other media believe a remark had offended someone they should interview that person and quote him/her. Otherwise it's the same as: ".....tributes have poured in for...." which are always blatant lies. Why lie? Why make things up?

There's far too much taking the public's view for granted in the media today, and far too many people willing to be told by the media what they should think and what they should be offended by.

Phoenixicus

Account Locked
I agree that things should be as right as can be, but every media outlet that has provided this information has called it a gaffe.

As someone who has no media grounding,do I believe one voice on a fishing forum or numerous multi million pound businesses?
One or two being wrong and I would say maybe, but all of them??

Merriam Webster on their website say a gaffe is-
Any social or diplomatic blunder.

Vocabulary online-
A socially awkward or tactless act.

Oxford English online-
Any unintentional act or remark causing embarrassment to it'stops originator;a blunder.

Ref 20th century from French to mean Blunder

Last edited:

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Good afternoon gentlemen, like him or loathe him Prince Phillip is a well educated and
intelligent man. His {mainly humorous} statements are not `gaffes` as the media would
like us to believe, he knows exactly what he is saying and the repercussions. It would
seem he doesn`t give a `*****ook` either.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Exactly[:T][:T]

The main reason all the medias quoted have called the remarks 'gaffes' is that they get the story from probably the same news agency and simply quote, like sheep, what has been written, perhaps adding a few opinions of their own dressed up as facts.

The Daily Mail said that onlookers were 'shocked' at the prince's recent remark about a terrorist, but failed to identify a single person who was 'shocked.' They said the person who was the butt of his remark thought it highly funny and was NOT offended.

The fact is that ALL the media CAN be wrong.

Last edited:

muggins

paste man
Site Supporter
Originally posted by Pompous git

Good afternoon gentlemen, like him or loathe him Prince Phillip is a well educated and
intelligent man. His {mainly humorous} statements are not `gaffes` as the media would
like us to believe, he knows exactly what he is saying and the repercussions. It would
seem he doesn`t give a `*****ook` either.

How I see it as well[:T]

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Apparently with all the moaning ******s on here i upset that many people with what i say, i dont know when im not doing it [;)]

Last edited:

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Originally posted by Wise Owl

Apparently with all the moaning ******s on here i upset that many people with what i say, i dont know when im not doing it [;)]

[:D][:D][:D]

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I moan about the weather, I moan about the football {well Arsene Wenger}, I moan about anything
and everything. I was told once that `grumbling` is a good way of relieving stress. So lets here
it for moaning!