9/11ft feeder rod

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Apart from Shimano, are there any other 9/11ft feeder rods about ? After a short rod for small river, which does hold big barbel, so something with a bit of oomph, and thought it may cover a few options. I posted on another feeder rod thread about Advanta rods, are they any good?, as I could get one of each length for reasonable money.

Browner

There’s a guy on Youtube that I think uses Avanta rods for everything from Barbel to roach. I think his site is Avon Angling UK. Might be worth sending him a message on his Facebook site and having a chat.

Last edited:

Silver fan 82

There’s a guy on Youtube that I think uses Avanta rods for everything from Barbel to roach. I think his site is Avon Angling UK. Might be worth sending him a message on his Facebook site and having a chat.
Also Mark Erdwin on YouTube use them alot. I'm pretty sure that in one of his videos he lands a huge Barbel (double figures) on one. I've never seen one in the flesh but for the money you surely can't go wrong?

Browner

Also Mark Erdwin on YouTube use them alot. I'm pretty sure that in one of his videos he lands a huge Barbel (double figures) on one. I've never seen one in the flesh but for the money you surely can't go wrong?
I think they are an AD own brand. I’ve seen them in their shops before and the look ok. Quite a big range too.

alsur

Site Supporter
I've got a 9/11ft shimano beastmaster not sure it would be the right rod for big barbel on a small river.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I've got a 9/11ft shimano beastmaster not sure it would be the right rod for big barbel on a small river.
I won't be targeting barbel specifically, chub ,roach and dace mainly, its just that one may gatecrash my swim and I wouldn't mind having a fighting chance.

alsur

Site Supporter
I won't be targeting barbel specifically, chub ,roach and dace mainly, its just that one may gatecrash my swim and I wouldn't mind having a fighting chance.
It's a pretty soft rod ideal for commercial size carp but not a lot of stopping power, but my main concern would be using heavier feeders when needed.

CarpCatcher86

Of course it would mate. I've got the 9-11ft beastmaster commercial float and feeder rod along with the 12ft power versions, all have landed hard fighting double figure carp with no problem.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
There’s a 9/11 in the new shimano aero range if you want to treat yourself it’s about £150. Lovely feeling range of rods.

alsur

Site Supporter
Of course it would mate. I've got the 9-11ft beastmaster commercial float and feeder rod along with the 12ft power versions, all have landed hard fighting double figure carp with no problem.
Playing fish on a small river is different to playing a fish on a commercial and the rod is not designed to cast the heavy feeders that might be necessary. I really like the rod and have caught plenty of Carp on it but if you want a rod for small river feeder fishing it's not ideal.

It would be OK for smaller fish and Chub provided flow is not great and you are not casting tight to snags would also be OK for odd Barbel in open water, but I wouldn't want to be trying to stop a big Chub or Barbel getting into a snag I had cast close to.

Last edited:

davepellet

Drennan used to do a series 7 9’6/11’ carp feeder rod and that was a great rod, I regret selling that one. I believe at one point it was the only feeder rod Keith Arthur used he was so impressed with it

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I've found a shimano aernos 9'/11' commercial feeder rod, 70gr C/W, not a model I've heard of, seen the speed/beast/forcemaster ones, the aernos is also over 100 gram lighter than the beastmaster, according to Shimano's web page.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Tricast 11' feeder lines too 8lb. I've had carp to 20lb but amazingly you still feel smaller fish also. There is a 11 feeder rods on test You-Tube clip 3 rods on test. Clearly no barbel involved, but it shows the rod of, I adore mine. I'd use mine on the Trent when after all fish up-close.

matti

Site Supporter
ive got a few 9/11 cx beastmaster rods, in theory there a good idea, but in reality there a compromise, set at 9' there a great rod to use, at 11' there overly floppy

Simon R

Site Supporter
Drennan used to do a series 7 9’6/11’ carp feeder rod and that was a great rod, I regret selling that one. I believe at one point it was the only feeder rod Keith Arthur used he was so impressed with it
I've got one and use it regularly
Must admit I've never used the extension in anger and only bought the rod in the first place 'cos it was being heavily discounted by my local tackle shop due to it being discontinued.
Very pleased that I did buy it though, I've caught a load of fish with it

Simon

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Just ordered the aernos one, has a 70 gram CW and a bit lighter than the beastmaster, and got a good deal.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Playing fish on a small river is different to playing a fish on a commercial and the rod is not designed to cast the heavy feeders that might be necessary. I really like the rod and have caught plenty of Carp on it but if you want a rod for small river feeder fishing it's not ideal.

It would be OK for smaller fish and Chub provided flow is not great and you are not casting tight to snags would also be OK for odd Barbel in open water, but I wouldn't want to be trying to stop a big Chub or Barbel getting into a snag I had cast close to.
Absolutely bang on. I’ve got a couple of 9 / 11 AX beast masters and I wouldn’t want to chance one on an angry barbel trying to make its way to a snag. Why Shimano gave them the name ‘ beast master ‘ is beyond me. They make for a lovely light skimmer / bream rod at 25 - 35m.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Just ordered the aernos one, has a 70 gram CW and a bit lighter than the beastmaster, and got a good deal.
How you finding the aernos? Just seen they do a float version as well as my local shop has started stocking them so was just wondering what they are like?

Ben Field

bang on. I’ve got a couple of 9 / 11 AX beast masters and I wouldn’t want to chance one on an angry barbel trying to make its way to a snag. Why Shimano gave them the name ‘ beast master ‘ is beyond me. They make for a lovely light skimmer / bream rod at 25 - 35m.
I’d agree with that. I had a CX for a little while. Loved it really as it made an epic skimmer rod.
Obviously a very capable commercial carp rod, but it’s success as a silvers rod perhaps help explain its lack of big power.