8ft Feeder Rod recommendations

Browner

Can anyone suggest an 8ft feeder rod, ideally with 1oz and 2oz tips. I will be using it for chub and roach fishing bread and meat on the river. Budget is about £50-£60.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Have a look the tfgear compact all rounder. Can be fished at 8 or 10 foot as either a feeder or Avon rod so is an ideal small river roving rod as a bit of a Jack of all trades master of none although it’s genuinely pretty decent as a feeder rod for the money. Can’t recall if the tips range from 1-4oz or 2-5oz but with whichever is the lighter one it fishes nicely at 10ft so sure it would at 8ft as well. I’ve only used mine at 8ft as a spinning rod so far and can’t recall what tip but but still felt alright.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Have a look at bobco they were doing a good deal on a frenzee 8ft FXT plus a daiwa samurai reel for £65 I know it is a little over budget but the rod alone has an RRP of around £80

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
The TF Gear compact feeder is an 8 footer and comes with the required tips, but I think they are getting hard to find now.. they were about £50... good solid little rods... love mine

satinet

I've got a middy white knuckle cx 8ft. I really enjoy it. Quite a soft rod despite the line rating /Carpy name.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter

BURNING

I have a daiwa yank n bank '9ft 2-piece Feeder YNB9Q-BU' I purchased a few months ago for £85, tips are 0.5 1 and 1.5 oz. if you are interested I could sell it on to you as I am not really connecting with it

Simon R

Site Supporter
Korum have just released a new range of their Opportunist rods
One of them is an 8' tip rod
It's possibly a little more powerful than you were looking for although a test curve isn't actually quoted on the website, the other rods in the range are 2lb TC and above.
RRP is a penny under sixty quid for the tip rod - my local shop has just got them in and if I get chance tomorrow I'll probably give it the old 'tackle shop waggle' :p
I'll let you know my opinion

Simon

Browner

I have a daiwa yank n bank '9ft 2-piece Feeder YNB9Q-BU' I purchased a few months ago for £85, tips are 0.5 1 and 1.5 oz. if you are interested I could sell it on to you as I am not really connecting with it
Thanks for the offer but I have 2 x 9ft Drennan Mini Carp Feeders. Only thinking about an 8ft as I could leave it in the boot.

Browner

Korum have just released a new range of their Opportunist rods
One of them is an 8' tip rod
It's possibly a little more powerful than you were looking for although a test curve isn't actually quoted on the website, the other rods in the range are 2lb TC and above.
RRP is a penny under sixty quid for the tip rod - my local shop has just got them in and if I get chance tomorrow I'll probably give it the old 'tackle shop waggle' :p
I'll let you know my opinion

Simon
I’d be interested to know your thoughts. I do think it might be a touch too powerful.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
The TF Gear compact feeder is an 8 footer and comes with the required tips, but I think they are getting hard to find now.. they were about £50... good solid little rods... love mine
I got an 8ft 6inch greys toreon rod seems pretty good but yet to catch any lumps on it ,it casts well feels light and i think pretty strong

Simon R

Site Supporter
I’d be interested to know your thoughts. I do think it might be a touch too powerful.
Purely based on a tackle shop waggle:
It's not as powerful as the other rods in the range - the butt is visually slimmer when you compare them
A lot lighter than I expected, folds into two equal lengths with the quivertip attached.
The 4oz carbon tip blends nicely into the rod - no flat spots
A traditional 'all-through' action - it's not a casting stick, although at only 8' long it isn't designed to be.
Well finished with decent quality eyes - although to be honest all rods are these days.
It's generally a nice rod - nothing outstanding although the price is quite appealing

I was quite tempted to buy one but stopped myself - mainly because I'd never use it - I've already got half-a-dozen tip rods for the river and a similar number for stillwaters - I don't have an 8' rod but I've every other length from 7'- 13' so I think I have sufficient.

Simon

Browner

Ended up get a Shimano Forcemaster BX. Under £40. Used it today and seems ok. 1/2oz & 1oz tips.

Alantherose

Site Supporter

Glad to hear this mate, bidding on one on Eeee Beh!!

adriang

Site Supporter
Browning Black Magic CFX Picker would do you.. I bought one for my old man, thinking it was a 'traditional picker/wand', like a modern day Sigma Wand. Its not, its a lot beefier, and would make a good option for what you're describing. There is a 2.5m/8ft version, which I got from Amazon for about £48.

For small rivers, big baits, I picked up a second hand Tricast Pond Wand, although this was before COVID and silly prices.