881lb 5oz of fish in five hours to smash the match record!

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Earlier in year I netted a carp on peg 3 at angel and ended up with 3 in my net.
Not fished Bowes since.
That has certainly happened in matches on other waters in the distant past.

If he started out with 5 nets in front of him it would surely take two minutes to re-position each one a long way along the bank and sit down again with a new one in front of him. That would be a total of 30 minutes off his fishing time. Otherwise how can he put his fish into his keepnet properly? Or does the owner re-position these for him?

Has anyone here actually seen one of these miraculous catches being made?

Simon R

Site Supporter
That should simply not be allowed. For animal rights sake there should be a square litres amount of water per carp and it should differentiate per size of fish limiting the stocks dramatically
The EA used to publish recommended stocking levels for different types of water.
Vary from 150kg/ha for a newly dug lake or gravel pit to 500kg/ha for a nutrient rich farm pond - the difference basically being down to the amount of natural food that's present.

They don't bother anymore because nobody takes the blindest bit of notice and it's not legally enforceable - most commercials exceed the recommended levels by a factor of six to eight anyway.

I don’t know of anywhere else in the country that has managed to get so heavily stocked naturally. Even down here in the warmer south they need a hand to maintain their numbers.
The place is a one off and I still have my doubts.
I'm a bit dubious about the repeated successful spawning events that must have occured

AoN is on a hillside above the A1 and it's never exactly tropical.
The fish are getting fattened up on pellets and it's not just the anglers introducing them

Simon

Simon R

Site Supporter
John Foster was fishing peg 1 on Bowes Lake at County Durham’s Angel of the North Fishing Lakes, and landed a never-ending stream of carp averaging 10lb to fill 20 keepnets come the final whistle, comfortably clear of Alex Burton in second place, who landed an almighty 606lb of fish himself.

More here:

According to the match rules on the fishery website a 10lb carp shouldn't be put in a keepnet in the first place:

4: All Koi, Ghost Carp and any fish above 7lb (must be able to turn around in keep-net) to be weighed in by stewards and then returned to the water by steward.

Simon

62tucker

Site Supporter
The EA used to publish recommended stocking levels for different types of water.
Vary from 150kg/ha for a newly dug lake or gravel pit to 500kg/ha for a nutrient rich farm pond - the difference basically being down to the amount of natural food that's present.

They don't bother anymore because nobody takes the blindest bit of notice and it's not legally enforceable - most commercials exceed the recommended levels by a factor of six to eight anyway.

I'm a bit dubious about the repeated successful spawning events that must have occured

AoN is on a hillside above the A1 and it's never exactly tropical.
The fish are getting fattened up on pellets and it's not just the anglers introducing them

Simon
Anyone who has drove up north by the A1 has been within 100/150
Yards of the fishery
And it can be windy and noisy

Reuben

Site Supporter
Sounds like a concentration camp for fish rather than an actual fishery. No doubt the owners are very proud of themselves with all the publicity.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Told you they said they hadn’t stocked it for years 👍.
Big weights been coming out for years. They used to post results on here.
5690B4A7-D2C2-4A34-A716-0D63FC0A82B8.jpeg
I remember reading this at the time. I also remember thinking to myself that ”This fishery must be unique. There is no other fishery like this in the entire country”. “ How come the eggs and fry don’t get eaten with so many fish in there?”
Is it just the one lake they are so successful in? Or do they breed prolifically in all the lakes?

NickNewman

I remember reading this at the time. I also remember thinking to myself that ”This fishery must be unique. There is no other fishery like this in the entire country”. “ How come the eggs and fry don’t get eaten with so many fish in there?”
Is it just the one lake they are so successful in? Or do they breed prolifically in all the lakes?
Are they really catching fry? The fish don't look small at all, and with the lake being shallow I can't see the water temperature supporting natural reproduction. The amount of fish must also contract from the survival chances of fry???

Wrongfoot

Site Supporter
This doesn't read as a success story to me.

It could be though... If stock levels like this are sustained by natural reproduction, water quality and fish welfare that's a great foundation, but not enough without stock control. Even success needs management. It seems obvious that they should thin the lakes (and presumably sell on the healthy stock).

At best a perverse extreme outcome to good policies through failure of stock control. At worse something fishy is going on with feeding... Also there seems to be a level of hypocrisy with respect to fish welfare - it's hard to understand how the owners can reconcile a stringent and admirable policy with respect to fish handling, baits, hooks, minimum line strength, preservation of water quality with such an extreme and questionable stocking* density.

*I know the owners say say there aren't "stockings" (as brought in fish), but if a farmer were to keep the calves they bred each year and sustain super-dense herds impossible to support without brought in feed year on year there'd be a point we could say they were over-stocked.