7m Chinese Whip

buygoodtackle

I have repeated some of this on another thread but have reproduced it here for completeness.
I had ordered a 7m carbon whip for £10.50 delivered from Aliexpress! (This did include a coupon plus discounted "Singles day" price - real price now £15.60 delivered.) If you can get past the differences in action they are very suited to UK style fishing and versatile - I have used Chinese whips at Port Talbot Docks with floats up to 5g.
Well the whip turned up , well wrapped in sturdy bubble wrap, taken a bit longer than usual because of Black Friday and Singles Day (11th Nov) sales. Unwrapped and found extra top 2 sections, float, rig winder set up already, two packs of float stops, a plastic donut(?) and a handle wrap similar to what you would put on a badminton racquet. On digital kitchen scales it went 233g but then I realised that I had left the bung in place, that weighed 22g so weight of whip itself is 211g. Interestingly the stated weight is 255g. Butt diameter is 23mm and tip is 0.9mm. Closed length 780mm.
IMG_20201203_170908_3CS.jpg
On investigating the extras further the packs that I thought were float stops are actually a complete rig making kit.

IMG_20201204_131149_540.jpg

In the packet are float stops, a green float adapter a swivel, a plastic in line boom and a thin lead strip. Unwinding the made up rig you can see how it all fits together. The float stops for the float and weight make it a very versatile rig in terms of depth and the hook length is attached via the swivel. I can see me setting a rig up in similar fashion but using either a loop or a mini quick change swivel in place of the swivel.
Went out yesterday to give it a try but conditions were awful with very heavy rain the night before, the lake was flowing like a river in flood with a huge whirlpool type eddy. Gave it almost an hour and packed up when the water started to come through the platform! Had one gudgeon so not a fair test of the whip but I was quite pleased with it and can see me using it on the river in future!
7m.png
The whip was not as "floppy" as some Chinese whips but not as rigid as it's European counterparts but did feel robust despite it's slim profile. I will give it a better try out once conditions are more favourable but for the price I am impressed!

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
How the hell do they make these things for under 20 quid and still make money ? The materials alone must come to more than that. Maybe it would be better fished at 6m ?

buygoodtackle

Felt fine at 7m to be fair. As I said in an earlier thread they are made to bend right around which is why they are not rigid like European whips. Once you get used to the different action they are fine, I very rarely use a standard whip these days my Chinese whips are my go to ones.

DFL

Site Supporter
Mine is yet to arrive, an excellent and comprehensive review, thank you.

buygoodtackle

Managed to get a couple of hours in this morning on the main lake (like fishing in tea!) Had 15 roach and 12 small skimmers plus one of 1-06 on the whip. The sequence below shows the stages - strike/netting/result, I had to retract two sections to net it. Still very pleased with it!
strike.png net.png result.png

adriang

Site Supporter
For love nor money, I can't find the original thread that had the links on aliexpresss for that whip, can somebody please share?

For the money, it's gotta be worth a punt.

buygoodtackle

It is all about economy of scale. If you consider that approx between 10 and 15% of the population fish according to government figures and the population of just Guangdong province is over 48 million you are talking about a huge number of items of tackle. Most of the machinery used will have paid for itself many times over compared to the Western market that might produce whips in a far smaller scale- probably low thousands.

DFL

Site Supporter
Mine finally arrived yesterday, unlike yours it had little protective packaging but amazingly has survived a two month journey without damage. Didn't get any extras either but for a tenner still brilliant value. I shall look forward to some rudd fishing with the whip this summer if we are allowed!

I noticed in you video also you've also got some of the Aliexpress rig spools, I bought them back last year, excellent value and in a very well made plastic case.

adriang

Site Supporter
Mine arrive last week.. came in no protective packaging and the plastic stopper on the handle end was broken into several pieces..

I've opened a complaint with AliExpress, they refunded 50%, I am arguing for more just out of principle that the packaging was so bad. I have superglued it back together and it will hold together OK. Worse case, cost me about a fiver, can't complain, looking forward to trying it out.

IMG_6298.jpeg IMG_6299.jpeg

buygoodtackle

That does look a poor packing, mine have always arrived with very thick bubble wrap secured around it - almost bomb-proof!