7ft waggler rod?

Philnun87

Can anyone recommend a really short waggler rod for kids - around 7ft?

I am looking to get my nephew a rod as his first rod and can only seem to find the telescopic rods or obviously short feeder rods.

I know that a 7ft waggler rod (around £50-55) is quite a rarity. Surely they must make waggler rods for kids?

cheers for any suggestions

crackatoa

Site Supporter
Given that about 3' is the optimum length needed between rod tip and float when casting, I would say that a 7' rod would not be practical for waggler fishing.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Coarse fishing rods (especially float rods) of less than 10' are relatively unusual. There's a few nine footers and a tiny number of eights. I can't really recall encountering 7' and less unless they were fly/spinning rods. Whilst shorter than average rods might be of some advantage for kids, there are downsides. I wouldn't give a kid a float rod of less than 9' to start with. However, I'm of an age where 13' was the standard length of a float rod.

This might offer what you want. As a bonus, it'll also double as a short feeder rod.

Philnun87

Thanks a lot, I know that’s the difficulty is he is only 5 and a 9 / 10ft would be too long. I just need something for fishing in close on a junior pond (so line pick up etc doesn’t really matter).

I was thinking about an 8ft, so I’ll have a look. Thanks a lot

nejohn

Site Supporter
I took my daughter fishing when she was about 5/6, absolutely no way could she master casting and reeling in it was only making her really frustrated and I spent more time sorting out tangles than she did with a line in the water. If I had carried on down that route she would never have wanted to go again, so I set up the top 3 of my whip and she caught small perch and roach all afternoon. I bought her a 3m whip (it even had a pink handle) and she was then very happy to sit next to me on the canal bank and catch a few fish herself. Personally if I was giving advice to someone starting as young as 5 I would suggest a cheap 3 or 4 metre whip and keep things very simple at first so they don't loose interest

Philnun87

I took my daughter fishing when she was about 5/6, absolutely no way could she master casting and reeling in it was only making her really frustrated and I spent more time sorting out tangles than she did with a line in the water. If I had carried on down that route she would never have wanted to go again, so I set up the top 3 of my whip and she caught small perch and roach all afternoon. I bought her a 3m whip (it even had a pink handle) and she was then very happy to sit next to me on the canal bank and catch a few fish herself. Personally if I was giving advice to someone starting as young as 5 I would suggest a cheap 3 or 4 metre whip and keep things very simple at first so they don't loose interest
thanks a lot.

Apologies, I meant to put 7 rather than 5, mistype on my part...bloody iPhone buttons ate too small.

I have taken him fishing 8 / 9 times with a little whip and he has handled it really well and caught some nice fish. It would just be really basic getting him used to reeling in at this stage etc so as I say not worried about the rod being able to cast etc at this stage as I’ll get him to just drop it in close.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I started with a 12' split cane rod and centrepin reel when I was 4 years old. Initially my dad would cast for me and I had no problems with hooking and landing fish and it wasn't long before I was casting myself. My point is, it is very difficult to cast a Waggler with a short rod and this may put him off. I'm doing a U turn on my own philosophy here but it might be better to kindle his interest with a whip and let him learn his casting skills with a short rod and a bomb.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Sorry mate, I posted before I read this one. At least we were in agreement.

rudd

Site Supporter
You could try a 7ft lure rod with a sliced tip but need to consider fishing depths.
A 10ft rod would be of more use.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Browning do a 9ft waggler that if I recall is about £60. If you feel the need to go shorter I’d look at like 8ft light jig/dropshot rods of which there are a fair few about around £50. If you want something you could use yourself as well so don’t mind spending a bit more shimano have recently brought out 9-11ft aernos waggler.

Philnun87

Thanks everyone.

i did see the browning which looked a good rod and at 9ft is probably the shortest rod I’ll find and be able to cast, so may be a happy medium.

We went to Hawkhurst fish farm and they have 3 junior ponds which are not big at all and are stuffed full of stockies, tench etc... there should definitely be more junior lakes / lakes to keep kids interested at fisheries

MrBen

Site Supporter
I’ve got the 9ft waggler rod it’s part of the commercial king range. It’s slightly longer 10ft brother the f1 variety handles silver fish better as it is a softer rod. If you wanted it for landing double figured carp I wouldn’t hesitate in recommending the 9ft.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I started my Grandaughter off with a garbolino 10ft wag rod,

it was pretty wayward for the first few sessions but she soon enough got the hang of it,

the same length feeder-tip rod was entirely different, a case of "duck" a fair bit

OldTaff

Site Supporter
My son is 5 and uses a 10’ DAM waggler rod paired with a little 3000 size Cadence reel. It’s a really slim and light rod but has the backbone for me to use it as a pellet waggler rod too.

He does find it way more frustrating than fishing the whip but he’s persevering with it and likes that he can get out much further with the float.

Browner

Site Supporter
Not 7ft but the Sonik 9ft waggler rod is a cracking little rod. I use one, along with the 10ft version on the canal.