50 Fish, Mainly Small Stuff!

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
My first canal outing of this Winter today. A stretch of the GUC near Market Harborough/Foxton, WDNAC water.

Canal was coloured due to the run off from the adjacent fields. That may account for the less than average day's fishing.

My normal approach here is with breadpunch and a backup of pinkie over fishmeal groundbait for the perch. Ended the 6 hour day with 50 fish for around 1 1/2lb. Better than blanking but not the day I was hoping for. Two perch on pinkie, one razor blade skimmer and the rest roach on bread.

The most consistent area was about two thirds of the way across in 3 ft of water. I couldn't catch in shallower further over or shorter down the track. So eventually I went back to basics and set the float to three foot deep and found that depth. This is something I have been told by two different top canal anglers - look for 3ft of water. One thing I couldn't sort out was the feeding. Had I been able to fathom that out I may have had a better day.

BTMS

Site Supporter
My first canal outing of this Winter today. A stretch of the GUC near Market Harborough/Foxton, WDNAC water.

Canal was coloured due to the run off from the adjacent fields. That may account for the less than average day's fishing.

My normal approach here is with breadpunch and a backup of pinkie over fishmeal groundbait for the perch. Ended the 6 hour day with 50 fish for around 1 1/2lb. Better than blanking but not the day I was hoping for. Two perch on pinkie, one razor blade skimmer and the rest roach on bread.

The most consistent area was about two thirds of the way across in 3 ft of water. I couldn't catch in shallower further over or shorter down the track. So eventually I went back to basics and set the float to three foot deep and found that depth. This is something I have been told by two different top canal anglers - look for 3ft of water. One thing I couldn't sort out was the feeding. Had I been able to fathom that out I may have had a better day.
Neil I know your pain On Sunday I had 27 fish for 130z!!!!!! all blades caught on punch and pinkies:cry:

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
No pain, I still enjoyed the day. But just wished for a slightly better stamp and a few more of them.