5 not the usual poles to choose from

Coxey70

Hi guys went to Wickersley today for a waggle of the Colmic F66 cracking pole not many people can offer an opinion of them though think they’ve only sold one on the plus side no reported sections broken?. While I was there getting myself confused even more 2 more poles cropped up the Middy XZ65-3 and the Rive offerings these were all in the same price bracket. Then 2 more pole in the mix Wickersley have got Daiwa to remake the tournament pro (£1500 pole only )the older one considered the best ever which to me feels better than an Airity and only the Matrix Nemesis (£1850). I’m useless at making decisions I want a pole that does it all from shallow fishing to margin fishing to catching double figure carp. HELP

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Tournament does everything and if you do break a section, they are always available and plenty of SH as well.
Not sure why you go back to an original, the finish on the current TP and it’s immediate predecessor is much better for using when damp.

Coxey70

Tournament does everything and if you do break a section, they are always available and plenty of SH as well.
Not sure why you go back to an original, the finish on the current TP and it’s immediate predecessor is much better for using when damp.
Some people prefer the original finish plus they reckon the original tournament is the strongest of them all I don’t know myself why I’m asking.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Personally I think that the Daiwa is probably the worst pole to use out of all those , but as said, it comes down to spares issues, and if the worst happens , and you suffer breakages you’ll never struggle for replacements

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Do Daiwa poles still have the ' coming apart ' issues they had a few years ago ? I heard that the male taper from No4 to female No3 was a tad too steep ???? I think it was the first silver Airity to be honest.

Coxey70

Personally I think that the Daiwa is probably the worst pole to use out of all those , but as said, it comes down to spares issues, and if the worst happens , and you suffer breakages you’ll never struggle for replacements
From your profile you like Maver I saw the 800 signature which looks a nice pole too

Coxey70

Do Daiwa poles still have the ' coming apart ' issues they had a few years ago ? I heard that the male taper from No4 to female No3 was a tad too steep ???? I think it was the first silver Airity to be honest.
Still suffer that problem but apparently it gets better the older the pole gets the section go further in due to wear? One of the questions I asked

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Still suffer that problem but apparently it gets better the older the pole gets the section go further in due to wear? One of the questions I asked
One thing I liked about Maver was the teflon joints. Put in and twist, virtually inseperable after that. I dont fish commercials that often myself but, if you are fishing shallow / slapping then you dont want a pole coming apart do you ? Shimano poles were terrible when wet. The joints would stick like glue. Decisions decisions Coxey. ?

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
From your profile you like Maver I saw the 800 signature which looks a nice pole too
Best pole I’ve ever used, much stiffer and lighter than the Daiwa Tourny.....the Middy poles are brilliant, as is the Colmic, not fished with a matrix nemesis, or a Rive

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Some people prefer the original finish plus they reckon the original tournament is the strongest of them all I don’t know myself why I’m asking.
I have got two originals and a later model, (the dark grey finish) I would say that they are the same, apart from the finish.

The decision on which pole must surely be influenced by what you fish for most, I fish pretty exclusively for big carp and skimmers, no need for lightening tip reaction and stiffness. If I fished for F1’s and roach as my main target, then I’d be looking at a stiffer pole, but with stiffness, you sacrifice some durability.

Paul.P

I have heard the colmic is very nice pole, my only concern would be spares, & that spares for the Middy are readily available but very very expensive. I had a tourney pro & yes, very annoying the coming apart, & I don't know if they've beefed the no 4 up now but they used to snap with alarming regularity, I broke 5 no 4's & know other guys that fish commercials doing the same, but like I said, they might of beefed them up now ?. If you can have a waggle with a Tricast Excellence 980 to me, for fishing commercials it offers the overall best package of lightness, stiffness, strength & spares back up you can get. Please note, i'm not sponsored by anyone, its just my opinion from what I've seen in the shops & on the bank.

Total

Site Supporter
..........I had a tourney pro & yes, very annoying the coming apart, & I don't know if they've beefed the no 4 up now but they used to snap with alarming regularity, I broke 5 no 4's & know other guys that fish commercials doing the same, but like I said, they might of beefed them up now ?.......

Jeez. :(

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I have heard the colmic is very nice pole, my only concern would be spares, & that spares for the Middy are readily available but very very expensive. I had a tourney pro & yes, very annoying the coming apart, & I don't know if they've beefed the no 4 up now but they used to snap with alarming regularity, I broke 5 no 4's & know other guys that fish commercials doing the same, but like I said, they might of beefed them up now ?. If you can have a waggle with a Tricast Excellence 980 to me, for fishing commercials it offers the overall best package of lightness, stiffness, strength & spares back up you can get. Please note, i'm not sponsored by anyone, its just my opinion from what I've seen in the shops & on the bank.
I have been using TP’s for 11 years and have never broken one on a fish, only by being blown off rollers or my own stupidity. Daiwa poles are very common on the match circuit down here and we don’t have any F1 venues, so it’s all carp work and they wouldn’t be so popular if they broke.

Coxey70

The Tricast was nice but at £2700 out my range I’ve been offered a Colmic that’s only been used for 6 month under £1500 maybe less or the new one is £2250.

Spadger123

I've had an F66, found it brilliant at 13mtrs, ok at 14 but totally unwieldly at 16.
Very heavy with lots of bounce. I'm not a big bloke but found the tourney much more user friendly.
The Colmic is bombproof though.

Coxey70

I've had an F66, found it brilliant at 13mtrs, ok at 14 but totally unwieldly at 16.
Very heavy with lots of bounce. I'm not a big bloke but found the tourney much more user friendly.
The Colmic is bombproof though.
Funny thing is I’ve never fished at 16 metre ? wish we had the french or European rules of 13m or 14.5m make are choice easier

dubdog

Seen some colmic f66 poles in action. They have a massive girth when it comes to the thirteen and fourteen point five sections.