5 hr boat trip on Monday

62tucker

Site Supporter
tried to get out this weekend and only space was on a 5hr trip on Monday. So booked on it. Usually do 3/4 hrs so 5 be testing for me. Been a 17lb cod caught today so hopefully I report some decent fish. Last mimi 2 hr trip was like mackerel soup. Don’t want that again.

SerialBlanker

Site Supporter
I thought cod was only in winter? I've got a day next friday from Penarth Marina. Hoping for either a few decent fish or a bit of pike bait for the winter ?

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
You can catch Cod offshore on wrecks or rough ground all the year round, I caught a 4lb in July a few years back fishing a tiny bait for Sole in a boat competition in the Mersey.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve had a nightmare with sea fishing this summer, had so many trips blown off and even when I’ve got out the weather or tides have been rubbish.

davylad

Site Supporter
You can catch odd cod all throughout the summer months on the Holderness coast, not as many of course but it's just being lucky enough to be in the right place.

62tucker

Site Supporter
I’ve had a nightmare with sea fishing this summer, had so many trips blown off and even when I’ve got out the weather or tides have been rubbish.
What would you say are to best tides?
One thing I hate is when can’t hold bottom. And someone has a 6/7 oz weight in and I got 12 oz on and they drift under boat into your line

Last edited:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Where I go I find it fishes best when you can hold bottom with around 6 Oz but so far this year I’ve either had it so weak you can hold with half that or so strong you need double. All the best tides have been on the days I’ve been blown off this year!

brian carragher

Site Supporter
What would you say are to best tides?
One thing I hate is when can’t hold bottom. And someone has a 6/7 oz weight in and I got 12 oz on and they drift under boat into your line

Its only a 4.8mtr tide tomorrow and light winds so you've got the wind and tide in your favour, high waters around 11.15 so youve got theflood under the boat and no real wind to worry about

Are you drift fishing or anchoring up?

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
best tides at holyhead are small tides can use less weight to hold bottom but deep water there can use up to 16oz on wrecks and bottom fishing for tope and bull huss spur dogs normally go out 8 hours at anchor can be 10 hours on wrecks or fishing further down coast

62tucker

Site Supporter
Its only a 4.8mtr tide tomorrow and light winds so you've got the wind and tide in your favour, high waters around 11.15 so youve got theflood under the boat and no real wind to worry about

Are you drift fishing or anchoring up?
Drift. Never been on a anchored trip

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Should have the flood till about 1ish before you hit slack water, if youre fishing with braid then you can fish with much lighter weights than those fishing with mono, a decent skipper will turn the boat about on alternate drifts so that all anglers get a turn fishing under the boat and away from it, if you;re fishing shads or jellies you want it moving to put some life into your lure, me. I like those big tides of 5,5 metres and more as I fish them all on the drift moving back and forth over the ground working it well over hoping to pick up some better fish

Big tides mean any fish has a millisecond to make its mind up whether to eat or let your shad pass and being the greedy fish that cod are, they usually take, slack or small tides give them longer to look at your set up and ignore it before it goes past them

62tucker

Site Supporter
6lb cod was my biggest. Caught 13 undersized ones before a keeper. And still plenty mackerel if you went for them.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Dare I ask how much they charge for a 5 hour trip these days, and how long is spent going out to and in from the actual fishing?

62tucker

Site Supporter
Basically it’s £5 a hr. 2 hrs trip £10. 5 hr trip £25. Not bad really. Been same for last. couple of years.