-5 but still a good day on the local cut

IanG1

Site Supporter
After a few bites a couple if weeks ago on the Beeston Canal I fancied it again today despite the cold weather. This section doesn't freeze easily as it's only one lock from the Trent and always tows. Got up and looked out the window and it was white over with frost but loaded up and set off for the short drive with -5 showing on the car display but wanted a few hours out the house so what the hell. Picked a peg from local knowledge just 20 yards from where I fished last time due to moored boats. Set up 2 rigs one for down the track and the other shallower for over near the boats opposite at 11 metres but only had 2 foot of water and they wouldn't be there in this temps........would they? Last time I caught down the track all day so this was the first line of attack, cupped 2 nuggets of bread and ran the rig over but took 15 minutes to get a bite and the fish where small. Bites where few and far between so decided to go over by the boats. Didn't feed just straight over with a 5mm punch and bang a 4 oz roach. Took a few fish then it dried up so thought I might try some feed. 1 nugget in the pot and back over and the fish where back. Took a softly approach on this line dripping in when I felt I could get away with it. Another lovely day of cheap fishing and even caught a perch on bread and a nice bag of canal roach. 10826 10827 10828

Total

Site Supporter
Thank you, enjoyed that. :)....A good, well earned bag of fish, on a cold day. (y):)

Pickard1

Nice net of roach there. Makes me wish I'd have got off my backside today to catch some fish!

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
That's very nearly where I went today... I just couldn't quite make myself do it. Perhaps i should have...

IanG1

Site Supporter
That's very nearly where I went today... I just couldn't quite make myself do it. Perhaps i should have...
I can recommend a session if you are local pal, chatting to some of the old boy who fish it regular put me in the right area. Bread punch is a killer here, though caster has also taken fish.