4mm pellets in method feeder

davej1981

Is there any reason why I couldn’t use 4mm pellets on a method feedee? I know its normal micros or 2mm but i have some 4mm left over ans want to try fishing the method feeder. Thanks

Total

Site Supporter
Use any size you want, appropriately soaked....The fish won't care...;)(y)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The method is not something ive done often but I used 4mm for reservoir bream fishing last month and they stayed on for tge cast fine even with a fairly forceful chuck. Not sure how well they stayed in place on the drop but I caught a few so must have sort of worked. Just need to give them a good squeeze.

Blanks

Site Supporter
No problem using 4mm pellets on a method, I use them sometimes if appropriate.

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
Just make sure its a large or x large feeder, not get many 4 mils on a small.

MartinWY

Site Supporter
I've used nothing else, its just what I happened to buy when I started fishing again. I have micros now and am waiting to try them.

You don't get millions on a 24g hybrid, but it's enough as I've had plenty of fish on that setup. Not to say I wouldn't have had more with micros as I dont know.

But yes, they work :)

Fishfinderuk

Is there any reason why I couldn’t use 4mm pellets on a method feedee? I know its normal micros or 2mm but i have some 4mm left over ans want to try fishing the method feeder. Thanks
I personally think 4mm work better than Microsoft,especially if fishing 4mm on a band.

CarpCatcher86

Last time I looked at buying groundbait, I looked at ground pellet groundbait. A bit more expensive than the big bags of various size pellets but not by much.
Can you simply grind pellets down and then mix them like normal groundbait or is there more to it than that?

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Last time I looked at buying groundbait, I looked at ground pellet groundbait. A bit more expensive than the big bags of various size pellets but not by much.
Can you simply grind pellets down and then mix them like normal groundbait or is there more to it than that?
I think that's fine mate. I know there's a few groundbaits that are made from ground expanders. I think @Neil ofthe nene grinds dry petfood if I'm not mistaken.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
First off, I would not use pellets on The Method. At least two underwater videos shows them exploding off the feeder when it hits the water. This totally destroys the purpose of The Method - to present a discreet pile of groundbait with the hookbait in the middle. The following picture demonstrates.

Method Pile b.JPG

That is not a staged picture but part of a video showing the breakdown of groundbait on The Method when in water.

Anything that can be powdered or liquidised and will then bind together when wet can be used to make a groundbait. Experiment with commercial and home made mixes to see what works for you both by staying on the feeder when dropped in water and by getting you bites.

Yes I make my own groundbait from fish flavour dry catfood ground down, sieved and mixed 2:1 with sieved brown crumb.

Catfood is around £1 per kilo. I can't understand why a kilo of manufactured groundbait should cost five times as much.

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
Catfood is around £1 per kilo. I can't understand why a kilo of manufactured groundbait should cost five times as much.

That be the Angling tax. (y)

Unless higher fishmeal content in groundbait? Not sure how much fishmeal costs.

rudd

Site Supporter
That be the Angling tax. (y)

Unless higher fishmeal content in groundbait? Not sure how much fishmeal costs.
Around £5 a kilo at the moment or £2 a kilo if buying 25kg bulk bags of provimi 66.

rudd

Site Supporter
First off, I would not use pellets on The Method. At least two underwater videos shows them exploding off the feeder when it hits the water. This totally destroys the purpose of The Method - to present a discreet pile of groundbait with the hookbait in the middle. The following picture demonstrates.

Method Pile b.JPG

That is not a staged picture but part of a video showing the breakdown of groundbait on The Method when in water.

Anything that can be powdered or liquidised and will then bind together when wet can be used to make a groundbait. Experiment with commercial and home made mixes to see what works for you both by staying on the feeder when dropped in water and by getting you bites.

Yes I make my own groundbait from fish flavour dry catfood ground down, sieved and mixed 2:1 with sieved brown crumb.

If you dampen pellets yes they fall off.
I make mine almost into a paste and they stick just fine.
Last week had a few skimmers and some pellets were still stuck to feeder.
Have started mixing in some fishmeal for faster breakdown but most of time fishing for specimens so a slower breakdown suits.
I test in margins and the paste breaks back down into pellets! ?