4" or 6"

Fishinmaddad

The way I see it is in an ideal world you are not supposed to put shot on hooklengths so the shorter the hooklength the closer to the hook you can place your shot.
If you were to bunch shot close to the hook and the fish took your bait it could potentially feel the resistance from the shot causing it to bolt and giving a better indication on the float, whereas the further away from the hook the shot is the less likelyhood the fish will feel anything therefore it could sit there munching away and you would not notice, unless it felt the hook and then moved off.
I reckon this has happened to me a few times, no movement on the float and when lift to either ship back i have hooked fish.

Fishinmaddad

Im happy to use 6inch for most of my pole fishing ,sometimes 4inch in the margin and up in the water . I will sometimes add a stotz to the hook link if using 6inch as i don't think that matters as they are soft and dont damage the line. I also go direct ,no hook link as im sure the loops can be seen easier than straight through . Its a matter of mix and matching for me . There is no right or wrong .
I was going to ask this next. I've often wondered if a straight thru pole rig would work better.

martin22

Site Supporter
TBF the super stars videos have to tell you something (different ) to what you are possibly doing so you think you have learned something (will watch the next one)keep the sponsors happy so you may see differences on each video of the same thing if you get what i am trying to say.
Your bang on there I’ve said many times that these days to many limelight anglers and tackle company’s are trying to reinvent the wheel,I few year back before I packed up match fishing I used to get sucked in by a lot of these videos,the latest tackle,the latest baits etc etc until I reached a point where I found I was actually starting to struggle and make things too complicated so I went back to basics and I found my catch rate actually improved just by keeping things simple

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Much of a muchness in my opinion, I use 6 inch on all pole rigs, I used to fish straight through but got bored of re rigging on break offs.
Yes this is true ,i always have a few identical setups for a quick change , i never completely re rig on the bank in a match . Thats the beauty of having multiple topkits setup the same

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Another aspect to look at is if you are fishing for say Carp and they have their heads down feeding on the bottom they're less likely to see the line compared to a fish swimming towards a bait up in the water. The idea of a hooklength is to present the hookbait on a finer line so (a) the fish doesn't see it as easily, and (b) to provide a weak link should you break off.
Too short a hooklength would invariably bring the thicker mainline into the fish's eye view when off the bottom
I couldn't agree more mate. It looks really alien to me to have loops/knots so close to the hook.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Yes this is true ,i always have a few identical setups for a quick change , i never completely re rig on the bank in a match . Thats the beauty of having multiple topkits setup the same
This is one of the main advantages of pole fishing, your top kits are the rods and the rest of the pole is just the handle. I remember what a pain it was setting up a stick rod, waggler rod and in later years a feeder as well. The good old days?🤔

nejohn

Site Supporter
When I make my hook lengths I hold the hook between my finger and thumb then tie the loop so that it sits into my elbow joint, I would say probably about 14 inches, then if I tie them on the bank I have a very easy way of knowing they are the same length as the one I took off so I will have no need to alter the depth I am fishing. I have no problems with putting a No10 stotz or 2 on the hook length as they don't appear to distort/damage the line the way split shot does. I do however carry short hooklengths of about 6 inches for those odd occasions that I fish the feeder of bomb

trotter2

My standard length is about 18" ,stotz on the hooklenght I have no problem with that. When I tie them up wrap three times around my hand gives me approx 18 inches.

turnpike

After watching that underwater vid where the diver moved the bait around without being noticed, I have started trying 4 inch. I also watched that Jamie Hughes vid today.. shortly followed by an older one from Wootton where he said "I've gone away from the short hooklength thing now" ;-)

It's hard for us newbies to get through the minefield of advice! It's pretty clear its a case of whatever works for you.

pies

Site Supporter
Just watched Jamie Hughes and Des Shipp videos both using expanders for silverfish. Both say 4” or in Des case 3” hooklength. But Des does put shot on at 4”
Interesting

Fishinmaddad

After watching that underwater vid where the diver moved the bait around without being noticed, I have started trying 4 inch. I also watched that Jamie Hughes vid today.. shortly followed by an older one from Wootton where he said "I've gone away from the short hooklength thing now" ;-)

It's hard for us newbies to get through the minefield of advice! It's pretty clear its a case of whatever works for you.
I need to watch that. What's it called plz mate?

squimp

Site Supporter
Try ‘matrix submerged’.

you should try fishing for chub with no hooklink i.e the bait touching the lead. They don’t like it at all.

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
Am a recent 4" hooklength user on pole rigs, was always 6" previously. I have never been afraid to use shot on hooklengths but prefer not too especially on lighter lines. having a bulk closer to the hook defo works well for F1's and pinning rigs on the mud line to help avoid liners and foul hookers. Prsoanlly I have got on well with them and now carry 4" and 6" as a matter of course. Same old addage try it, use it if it suits.

Kirtons

Site Supporter
I’d say it all depends what your fishing for but in simple terms the shorter the hooklength the easier the bites will be to see on the float. However on the flip side of that a longer lighter diameter hooklength gives a more natural presentation but bites may be harder to hit. “Shot” on hooklengths especially light ones can easily snap and weaken the line especially in the case of hard shot like ballebini! “Stotz” however in my experience are fine on light hooklengths as a drop shot. If I was doing varied types of fishing I’d knock all my hooklengths up at 12” and cut down to suit. For my own fishing on the pole I’ll go as follows
Canal
4” squatt/pinkie/ maggot(these tend to be more small fish and shy biting)
6” caster( laying on a few inch steady rig wait for a sail away confident bit )
6” worm(bit of movement for lifting and dropping the worm and longer length adds a bit more strength and stretch for big perch)

lakes silvers
6” in general due to bigger stamp fish than canal , will drop to 4” if it’s hard and fish are small