4" or 6"

Fishinmaddad

So after watching a winning ways on YouTube with Jamie & Andy, it was about pole rig shotting. However Jamie says he only uses 4" hook lengths now as it gives the rig more of method feeder style indication..... Is it better this way? I've only used 6" up to now? God its confusing this fishing lark.. 😂

davej1981

So after watching a winning ways on YouTube with Jamie & Andy, it was about pole rig shotting. However Jamie says he only uses 4" hook lengths now as it gives the rig more of method feeder style indication..... Is it better this way? I've only used 6" up to now? God its confusing this fishing lark.. 😂
I saw that too, i think they said it would be explained in another video

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I use ten inch hooklengths. I have carried out an experiment switching between ten and four inch in alternate hours. No noticeable difference. So I stick with ten because a) I'm stubborn, b) I have confidence in what I am doing.

I do though use four inch when fishing bread punch on the canal with a larger final dropper.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The way I see it is in an ideal world you are not supposed to put shot on hooklengths so the shorter the hooklength the closer to the hook you can place your shot.
If you were to bunch shot close to the hook and the fish took your bait it could potentially feel the resistance from the shot causing it to bolt and giving a better indication on the float, whereas the further away from the hook the shot is the less likelyhood the fish will feel anything therefore it could sit there munching away and you would not notice, unless it felt the hook and then moved off.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
All my pole ones are 6inch. The lad uses 4 inch, purely and simply for him, so that all of his method and pole hooklengths are stored in the same box, then just with some lead/bomb ones on a spool.

Been watching a few recently for hard pellet fishing and other anglers suggest 6 inch to give heavy baits a bit more freedom, go with what suits is the conclusion i have come to, otherwise you can get so much contrasting advice watching that many different things, that your head is spinning.

Some of these anglers can catch in a puddle regardless how they set up and for all the varying options they give, it's only really when they talk about feeding patterns and strategies that i pay much attention now. Not in an ignorance way, more that i know in my fishing there is more to get right and in acceptance that i'm not about to win fisho any time soon.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Another aspect to look at is if you are fishing for say Carp and they have their heads down feeding on the bottom they're less likely to see the line compared to a fish swimming towards a bait up in the water. The idea of a hooklength is to present the hookbait on a finer line so (a) the fish doesn't see it as easily, and (b) to provide a weak link should you break off.
Too short a hooklength would invariably bring the thicker mainline into the fish's eye view when off the bottom

davej1981

All my pole ones are 6inch. The lad uses 4 inch, purely and simply for him, so that all of his method and pole hooklengths are stored in the same box, then just with some lead/bomb ones on a spool.

Been watching a few recently for hard pellet fishing and other anglers suggest 6 inch to give heavy baits a bit more freedom, go with what suits is the conclusion i have come to, otherwise you can get so much contrasting advice watching that many different things, that your head is spinning.

Some of these anglers can catch in a puddle regardless how they set up and for all the varying options they give, it's only really when they talk about feeding patterns and strategies that i pay much attention now. Not in an ignorance way, more that i know in my fishing there is more to get right and in acceptance that i'm not about to win fisho any time soon.
Im with you on this, so much contrasting info in these videos depending on who your watching. I tend to watch, listen and take on board what makes sense to me, thats easier for someone with angling experience but i can see things can get very confusing for a newcomer

lp1886

Site Supporter
Im with you on this, so much contrasting info in these videos depending on who your watching. I tend to watch, listen and take on board what makes sense to me, thats easier for someone with angling experience but i can see things can get very confusing for a newcomer
You’re bang on there. Even different Jamie Hughes videos he says he uses 2”, then its 4”, then 6”, then 3”!! Just stick to what you have confidence in 👍🏻

Warden

Site Supporter
TBF the super stars videos have to tell you something (different ) to what you are possibly doing so you think you have learned something (will watch the next one)keep the sponsors happy so you may see differences on each video of the same thing if you get what i am trying to say.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Im happy to use 6inch for most of my pole fishing ,sometimes 4inch in the margin and up in the water . I will sometimes add a stotz to the hook link if using 6inch as i don't think that matters as they are soft and dont damage the line. I also go direct ,no hook link as im sure the loops can be seen easier than straight through . Its a matter of mix and matching for me . There is no right or wrong .

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
TBF the super stars videos have to tell you something (different ) to what you are possibly doing so you think you have learned something (will watch the next one)keep the sponsors happy so you may see differences on each video of the same thing if you get what i am trying to say.

Exactly this.
Few days ago I was watching Jamie Hughes on rig shotting and he completely contradicted what he said on his last video in regards to shotting just a few months prior.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I'm lucky in that the fish I fish for don't care how thick the line is or how far away the shot is. My hooklengths are all over the place! :) :) :) And I don't think many of the fish have tape measures.

Seriously - Dave has explained the theory above. Received thinking is that the thinner the line and the farther away the shot the more likely the fish is to be interested in the bait. But when we fish we have to compromise.

To the OP I would say tiny adjustments might give you an edge when you are Top Class, but it's always the basics that catch you fish. I knew Kevin Ashurst and Ivan well, and I can assure you they never bothered about such trifling things as hooklengths, so long as they were neat. If you had seen their tackle boxes you would have had a heart attack. But they had the basics right.They did what ever caught fish on the day.

feldri

Site Supporter
All my hooklengths, be it for pole, waggler or swimfeeder are 12" in length. If I snap off or need to change a hook I can be sure of my rig being exactly the same length as it was before the break.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
6" for pole rigs but l will place stotz on the hooklength. They dont cause flat spots like shot does imo.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Only time I use super short hooklengths is fishing the method
On the pole or waggler I usually use hooklengths around 12" long - I also have no qualms about adding small shot (stotz on the pole) to the hooklength if necessary. I don't know if the doubled-up thickness of loops and a knot can be detected by a fish or if having a knot alters the action of the hookbait but why risk it?
In summer rigs maybe 0.15mm mainline and 0.13mm hooklength - therefore the 'experts' assert that you shouldn't add shot to the hooklength, however in winter 0.13mm mainline would be more common to a 0.11mm hooklength perhaps. So shot can be added to 0.13 when it's a mainline but not when it's a hooklength?

The Angling Times Book of Coarse Fishing (1987) recommends: "Keep fine hook-lengths at least 2ft long to give them maximum stretch factor. Short, fine hook-lengths will not be able to cope with a sudden shock loading"
Tom Pickering in his pole-fishing book recommends 15" hook-lengths and has no problem adding shot to it providing it's done 'carefully'.

I can never recall a hook-length parting in an area where I've placed shot - it will invariably give way at the hook-knot or the loop.

Simon

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
I use 4 inch all year round for skimmer pole fishing, 4 inch for all my winter carp fishing on the pole, bomb and pellet & method all 4 inch, roach fishing on the pole 6 inch, waggler on the rod 12 inch silvers and carp