4 days and counting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beebs

I have managed to get the day off on Friday and am going for my first ever pike fishing session down The Royalty. [8D][8D]

My mate has been down there year after year and has a photo of a 25 pounder he caught down there last year next to a picture of his wife and kids on his desk at work.

I am buzzing with excitment at this one. I have never caught a pike before and can't wait for it.

Anybody got any tips? (Apart from not cacking myself when I look down a mouth full of sharp teeth)

John (Esox20) - wish me luck.

Ziptrev - wherever you are, mate. My first one's for you.

DJ.gif

granjuiceymoose

'Grinch'
For your first session i would go for a roving aproach wobbling a deadbait. Never failed for me yet! Always catch something [;)] Plus your active so you won't get cold!

Tight lines [:D]

matt

also, don't forget to take a glove for unhooking and a couple of pairs of long foreceps, believe me, it hurts when you lacerate your hand when unhooking a lively Esox on cold day![:D]

now where's my float gone

Beebs

quote:Originally posted by matt

also, don't forget to take a glove for unhooking and a couple of pairs of long foreceps, believe me, it hurts when you lacerate your hand when unhooking a lively Esox on cold day![:D]

What kind of glove? Gardening glove, marigolds? My fishing partner is a very experienced piker and he's going to show me how to handle them correctly.

I've got butterflies already. Heard so much about The Royalty I can't wait to fish there.

granjuiceymoose

'Grinch'
Lol i know how you feel. When i first went piking i took a gardening glove. Anything that would stop the pikes teeth coming through. Good luck [;)]

Tight lines [:D]

Beebs

I've invested in a pair of neoprene gloves to keep my delicate hands warm on Friday. I know that if you handle pike correctly, you can unhook them relatively easily without gloves and this is what I want to learn, but these ones seem pretty thick. I've seen how more experienced guys do it and their hands seem quite safe.

I spent a load on pike tackle yesterday, last night making up wire traces and today mending the bale arm on my reel. (Work can wait when there's much more important things on the agenda).

I am now counting the minutes 'til we get down there. I feel 16 again. If I'm feeling really brave, I'll do a Rex **nt and give her a kiss before I put her back!!![:D][:D][8D][8D]

haydn.borthwick

09/05/02 - 28/01/07
In Memoriam
Steve one bit of advice...When you get your first take DON`T strike straight away. Wait till it has had a run, stopped, turned the bait and set off again. I have lost a few Pike by being too keen. good luck and enjoy yourself.....haydn.

there is no such thing as a stranger..just friends who have not yet met.

ben grim

good luck beebs,i don't mind admitting,i'm jealous.
i used to use a cheap gardening glove,thin cotton
on the backs,a kind of blue/grey suede on the palms.
get this wet before you chin your catch,better grip.
have fun!

I,M NOT DAFT,JUST HAPPY.
DEATH IN VEGAS

norm

haydn
i do a lot of piking
i must admit that at first thats how i used to hit a run
but not any more,
get the run ,
go to your rod,
pick up the rod,
hold the line in your hand ,
feel the fish running,
close the bail arm,
and strike,

you know for a fact the bait is in the pikes mouth,
you will catch a lot more pike,
your pike will not be deep hooked,

and at the end of the day i would rather loose a fish off the hook---- than loose (dead) a fish because it is deep hooked

trust me mate i have caught more fish hitting them on the first run than i ever did hitting them on the second run

have fun and be gentle with them
norm

p.s
you do not need a glove if you know how to handle them proper

martin.

Account Locked
hi norm
your not still hiting the pike on the head as they flee from under the nearside bank when they see you are you norm i keep telling you yuoll damage the top eye of your rod LOL
seriously
i wiegh in & steward some pike matches & there are different views on when to strike but i have seen the damage that can be done to pike what have been deep hooked
also a deep hooked pikeis harder to unhook & therefore more risk of damageing your hands.
dont forget in 90% of the cases ive seen where people have been cut by pike its on there gillrakers not on there teeth

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

ben grim

very true martin.
i ditched my glove when i got confidant,i still haven't
been cut once.

I,M NOT DAFT,JUST HAPPY.
DEATH IN VEGAS

Beebs

Opening day on The Royalty and we queued up outside Davis Tackle from 6:10 until it opened at 7:30. Talking to some locals, they were extremely confident of hooking into some pike, virtually guaranteed. Picked our swims and 1/2 hour later, a guy just around the corner took a 17lb perfect specimen and we thought the day was going to be manic.

No way. It lashed it down all day. I couldn't sit in my chair 'cos the seat filled up with water. Umbrellas were useless, cos the just acted like a massive kite, so it was a case of standing up all day. Very uncomfortable. Not only that, but we never even had one bite between 2 of us.

4 pike was all I heard were caught all day on the whole stretch. Not exactly a classic, but still, fishing or work? No contest.

martin.

Account Locked
hi beebs
well you tried just keep trying youll catch in the end the match on our water sun produced 28 pike between 37 anglersbut they were on fixed pegs & could not roam on the same stretch ive had as many as 14 pike in a day using 2 rods & leap frogging along

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

Status
Not open for further replies.