3000 or 5000 sized reel for pellet waggler

mikeyF

Starting to really get into pellet waggler fishing this summer, and as a result I'm hammering the YouTube for videos to watch.

Technique wise I'm there but what I have noticed is that there seems to be a split between people using 3000 sized reels and 5000 sized reels. I use a Preston 320 on my normal 13ft float rod (typically winter / silvers for where I use it) and there seems to be a general consensus that a 3000 sized reel is (a) balanced and (b) light as you have the rod in your hand all the time, and so naturally started with that on my 11ft pellet waggler rod. Not so on the pellet waggler videos with a real mix.

I get that you still have the rod in your hand all the time and are actively in and out - but I'm also finding that I'm cranking in either large quantities of 2-5lb carp or a reasonable number of big units so can see the benefit of the larger reel....

Thoughts appreciated....

Many thanks

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Nothing bigger than a small 4000 size.
"Cranking in" is probably not the best terminology 🤣🤣

mikeyF

Nothing bigger than a small 4000 size.
"Cranking in" is probably not the best terminology 🤣🤣
Yep fair point - not the best description. "Carefully playing" would have been better.....

Why nothing bigger than a small 4000 ?

What determines the limitation, and why then are some of the tackle company consultants, who are not short of kit options, using a 5000 sized reel ?

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
5000 can be big reels and I use Okumas that size on my Carp rods.
Just my opinion but unless fishing for large Carp on the pellet waggler its over gunning it a bit.
As for holding the rod all the time, the idea is you should be continually feeding so if you are trying to do that and hold the rod then the reel weight will become noticeable.

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
Anyone got any views on the LT series of reels for this? I've been using a 5000LT on my Hyperdrome feeder and it works fine - good retrieval rate - not too heavy, and a good drag. Not tried it on my p/w rod. Currently using a 2508 TDM for that

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I've long believed that too many anglers give far too much credence to arbitrary numbers given to reels. At best, the numbers give only a vague idea of what size a reel might actually be. Even if the number assigned does happen to fit with the individual's idea of what size a reel is, it gives no clue as to the weight of the reel or the size of the spool (dimensions rather than line capacity).

I've known a couple of folks that have been caught out by 5500 "size" Shimano reels. They bought blind on the assumption that they'd be about the size of a 5000 sized Baitrunner. What they ended up with was a mini big pit reel. In a similar vein, Daiwa have recently changed the numbering of their normal coarse fishing sized reels. Folks used to the longstanding 2500, 3000 and 4000 sized reels may not get what they expect if they blindly buy a new Daiwa with the same numbering.

I've come to prefer much bigger reels than most general coarse/match anglers. However, I don't want the excess weight penalty that usually comes with a bigger reel. In this respect, modern reel designs, with tiny bodies made of lightweight materials and oversized spools, have been a revelation. I can indulge my preference for a bigger diameter spool (no more tight coils of line, less line memory, far easier casting, even if all that allows is the use of lighter wagglers at greater distance) without it feeling like I'm strapping a lump of lead to a lightweight rod.

My preference will always be to use the biggest reel (based on spool diameter) possible provided there's no significant weight penalty. Sadly, you can't discern which reels might fit the bill based on nothing more than numbers ascribed to them. The weight of a reel is always a huge factor in my thinking. However, I won't even consider some of the teeny tiny reels that are out there just because they are light.

Last edited:

Corn Master

Not promoting the brand. Just for reference

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220803-074347_Pocketmags.jpg
    Screenshot_20220803-074347_Pocketmags.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20220803-074409_Pocketmags.jpg
    Screenshot_20220803-074409_Pocketmags.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20220803-074417_Pocketmags.jpg
    Screenshot_20220803-074417_Pocketmags.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20220803-074425_Pocketmags.jpg
    Screenshot_20220803-074425_Pocketmags.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_20220803-074434_Pocketmags.jpg
    Screenshot_20220803-074434_Pocketmags.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 35

nejohn

Site Supporter
I usually use either a Daiwa Theory or TDM in 3012 size and find it works fine. However I don't think I would have any issues using a 4012 either but these are usually already attached to feeder rods

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I have a 3000 sized Cadence I mostly used on my 11’ pellet waggler rod and it feels really nicely balanced - it now resides on one of my LRF setups and I’ve switched to an old Abu Cardinal 55 RD that is bob on.

I think a 5000 on the same rod would feel overly heavy and with pellet waggler you don’t put the rod down so weight & balance are a big factor.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
For me a 5000 size reel on an 11' rod would be too big. It also depends where you are fishing, mainly 30-40m wide commercials, again for me too big, maybe a 5000 on a 13' rod at Boddington or Barston for example.

mikeyF

Thanks for all of the replies - really useful.

I do know the Preston reels are considered small in comparison to others in the same "size" range, and they are most definitely match reels rather than pit reels.....

Had another 4 hour evening session tonight on the Preston 320, and it is both light and balanced on the 11ft rod. Hard work bringing in the last fish of the day weighing in just over 15lb after an evening of continuous casting and retrieving but it handled it well. So no complaints that it will do the job - just intrigued. The 520 is 24g heavier - which doesn't sound much but could alter the balance considerably - not sure the extra winding power is worth the weight/balance.

Thanks again.

alsur

Site Supporter
Thanks for all of the replies - really useful.

I do know the Preston reels are considered small in comparison to others in the same "size" range, and they are most definitely match reels rather than pit reels.....

Had another 4 hour evening session tonight on the Preston 320, and it is both light and balanced on the 11ft rod. Hard work bringing in the last fish of the day weighing in just over 15lb after an evening of continuous casting and retrieving but it handled it well. So no complaints that it will do the job - just intrigued. The 520 is 24g heavier - which doesn't sound much but could alter the balance considerably - not sure the extra winding power is worth the weight/balance.

Thanks again.
I've got both Daiwa and Preston 3000 size reels and they are very similar in size, I use the Daiwa on my pellet waggler rod.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
If you’re fishing the pellet waggler for an hour, the rod is in your hand say 45-50 minutes, so low weight does matter, feeder fishing for an hour, rod in hand might be 20 -30 minutes (obviously varies).

I use a Cadence cs10 3000 with my acolyte carp 11ft total weight rod plus reel 350g. Some reels weigh that alone (Guru Aventus 4000 is 460g!). The Cadence is a small reel but quick retrieve of 6.2:1, great clutch plenty of power.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
Having taken apart and serviced my reels for near on 40 years, some may/may not be surprised that a manufacturers size range of a model reel have exactly the same gearing components/sizes inside or if a big range say 2000 to 8000 a split with half the range having slightly bigger gearing.
There may be a few minor variations if a high speed model has been added.
The only true thousand size scale that is accurate is Shimano, they may have invented the concept?