30 pints of Casters!

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Just been watching a video of a Fisho qualifier at Lindholme. The winner fed 30 pints of casters ffs! Who can afford that sort of money for one match? Must cost around £100. I know the big prize for Fishomania is massive but those sorts of costs must be prohibitive to most matchmen surely?

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
I can remember feeding 2 gallon in a 5 hour match at The glebe a couple of times for about 80/90lb but years ago in Ireland when it was lifting with Roach it was common to take 2 gallon of maggot or caster to the matches on the Erne but they were only about £8 a gallon or less in the 1980s plus if you went on a decent river match over here it was a gallon of bronze every week.

mickthechippy

23/04/2008 - 25/12/2021
Site Supporter
In Memoriam
there was a mahoosive furore on a fisho qualifier at monks a few years back when it was suspected the winner fed around 18 pints of maggot

it lead to all sorts of bait restrictions on the venue afterwards

davej1981

Im guessing probably sponsored but if modern day match fishing means feeding insane amounts im either going to naturals or im out! Its a ridiculous amount of bait whatever

davej1981

there was a mahoosive furore on a fisho qualifier at monks a few years back when it was suspected the winner fed around 18 pints of maggot

Think sensible limits are a great idea, theres no way joe average could afford to compete with that

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just been watching a video of a Fisho qualifier at Lindholme. The winner fed 30 pints of casters ffs! Who can afford that sort of money for one match? Must cost around £100. I know the big prize for Fishomania is massive but those sorts of costs must be prohibitive to most matchmen surely?

Who was it?

MarkV

aka Tigerbay
Site Supporter
So ... Mr wannabee club angler gets this idea into his head. Thinks this is whats needed. Cant afford to go the whole hog / get his head completely around 30 pints.

So turns up with 10, more than he's ever bought. Thats 30 quid around here for maggots, more for casters.

Gets beaten next door with a tin of sweetcorn and a pint of pellets.

Lot of disappointment ensues.

Last edited:

Total

Site Supporter

It did have stacks of barbel in that lake back in the day though mate...:giggle:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Christ he must be a feeding machine. Not sure I’ve ever fed more than 4 or 5 pints of anything and wouldn’t have thought much more than double that was possible! Got to be a proper knack to feeding that much and actually fishing as well fair play to him.

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
I rarely fish maggot or caster, last time i fished caster i bought half a pint and went home with 3 quarters of it left :unsure:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've fed a gallon of maggots a few times and it is hard gauging the amount to feed over five hours.

The easiest way I found was to put them all in one bucket and mark the sides into fifths.
Then use a maggot tub to take out 1/5th every hour - it does work

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I rarely fish maggot or caster, last time i fished caster i bought half a pint and went home with 3 quarters of it left :unsure:

Haha done that plenty of times before. When I was hemp fishing every session back in July I carried the same 2 pint box of maggots around the whole time as I hardly used them given the hemp was the main bait. I was amazed how long they lasted before they turned tbf.

bryanh

Site Supporter
I'm pretty sure Matt Pilay finished second he had a quiet spell mid-match and said he only used about 17 pints out of his 30 pints. I believe Ryan Lingard was the winner and qualifier.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Thats insane ,i thought a gallon would be a lot .