3 daft inane questions from me

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I have 3 fairly inane questions that don't deserve their own thread but I thought I'd ask anyway.

1) Feeding by hand technique.

What's the benefit or throwing underhand, do you get more distance or a tighter grouping, as there must be a reason other than looking a bit more 'gangster' for want of a better word than throwing overhand like a 'little girl'? How do you throw? 😁

2) Holding Perch

Is this a safe way to hold Perch? Holding them by their mouth? :unsure:

3) Banded hair rigs?

When tying a banded hair rig knot is superglue necessary?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
It's more accurate when throwing underhand - the trick is to hold the bait palm downwards and throw out releasing the bait when required to get the target area

Here's a great photo showing Kayleigh Smith throwing out some maggots....

Screenshot 2021-09-20 222558.jpg

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
1. not sure about underhand feeding is that the slightly camp flick thing as can’t play video atm? I feed mostly under arm as can’t do it accurately over arm, but do that camp thing a bit when feeding close if that’s under hand, that’s less effort and quite accurate.

2. Holding perch for me is underneath if too big to get your hand around or like any other smallish fish if you can get your hand around as can just compress the spines. Or support both ends if genuinely quite big.

1632172885634.jpeg
1632172912193.jpeg
1632173092728.jpeg

3. No idea too technical for me 😂

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
No 1 I'm right handed and if I throw over hand with my left it will go everywhere, so better grouping and accuracy.

2 I've seen loads hold perch like that I suppose it's OK I don't like it myself.

3 the superglue just means small fish can't dislodge and knick your pellet, but it's not essential in my opinion, I would prefer the hacksaw method to make a grove for the band to seat it's self in. Or drill it and use quick stop.

rob6709

Site Supporter
1. Paul is class and one of the best in the country, I'd take on board anything he has to say.

rudd

Site Supporter
No 1 I'm right handed and if I throw over hand with my left it will go everywhere, so better grouping and accuracy.

2 I've seen loads hold perch like that I suppose it's OK I don't like it myself.

3 the superglue just means small fish can't dislodge and knick your pellet, but it's not essential in my opinion, I would prefer the hacksaw method to make a grove for the band to seat it's self in. Or drill it and use quick stop.
3.?
The superglue prevents loop holding band from coming loose.
You could just blob it using hot lighter - like when making up a d rig.
Getting line through most hook eyes twice can be a job - this rig involves going through three times!

Robwooly

I'd never hold a perch by the mouth, I think that's an American thing with Bass I'd support them properly like you would any fish.

Another tip with perch if you want a nice picture is to keep an eye on that pectoral fin. Perch have a habit of tucking it in to their gills, whilst I doubt if it does any damage it can be a bit annoying when you don't notice it until you view the pics.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter

Click the link. The superglue is used to secure the whipped knot, not the pellet to the band.

FadingLikeDecay

RE: No.2

I wouldn't do it myself and I did watch or read something only days ago where someone was quite annoyed at the trend.
This article seems briefly talks about it, can't say I disagree with it:

Riverpiker.com

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Q3. The way this version of the knotless is tied then the superglue is a necessity. Following the instructions and the diagrams the tag end finishes going up the outside of the whipping and through the eye. The superglue is then added and the tag end cut close to the eye. Without the glue the whole knot would unravel.

Seems a pretty unreliable knot to me compared to the standard knotless.

I am not sure if the instructions are wrong. Were I tying this knot then I would use the line that will form the hooklength to tie the whipping, the same as the knotless. The tag end would be trapped inside the whipping. While it could be pulled through by pulling hard on the band it may be secure enough.

Try tying the knot as per the instructions, cut the tag end close to the eye without glueing and I guarantee the knot will unravel. Maybe not immediately but it is not secure enough for me to trust.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Another tip with perch if you want a nice picture is to keep an eye on that pectoral fin. Perch have a habit of tucking it in to their gills, whilst I doubt if it does any damage it can be a bit annoying when you don't notice it until you view the pics.
Yep they do that to me almost all the time!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The best way I find to tie a band in a loop, using the knotless knot for the hook, is with a small knot picker, a darning needle will do the same job...

Get a length of line and thread it through the bait band...
Tie a single overhand loop knot with the band in the loop
but dont pull it tight...
Put the knot picker in the knot and then holding the line and the tail wet the knot and use the picker, or needle, to slide the knot to the bait band....
Once you've got it close enough remove the picker and place it in the loop containing the band...
Keep hold of the line and tail with one hand, and pull the picker to tighten the knot.

Simple to do once youve done one and the band wont work free.

Tie the hook using a knotless knot as you would normally do, setting the hair length as you wish.

Corn Master

I'd never hold a perch by the mouth, I think that's an American thing with Bass I'd support them properly like you would any fish.

🤨 you mean like some British anglers catching pike from a small boat on a res. The "lifting them out of the water by their mouth when wearing a glove technique"

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
I never use superglue on my banded knotless knots and they never come undone.

I see Jamie Hughes has done a video on this and he ties them exactly as I always have :cool:

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I never use superglue on my banded knotless knots and they never come undone.

I see Jamie Hughes has done a video on this and he ties them exactly as I always have :cool:
Have you clicked the link and studied the method shown? It is not the standard knotless as I know it.

Robwooly

🤨 you mean like some British anglers catching pike from a small boat on a res. The "lifting them out of the water by their mouth when wearing a glove technique"
No not at all, I haven't watched the video but I'm assuming its showing the way bass are lifted in the US which was what I was referring to, totally different from the way pike are lifted out.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
L
It's more accurate when throwing underhand - the trick is to hold the bait palm downwards and throw out releasing the bait when required to get the target area

Here's a great photo showing Kayleigh Smith throwing out some maggots....

Screenshot 2021-09-20 222558.jpg
looks like she is saying keep the F*** away @Dave

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Thanks for all replies!

1) I'm the daft one just to be clear. I throw overhand and probably a bit camp. :LOL: I practised throwing some pellets today and although underhand looks more professional to me, I get more distance and the same grouping overhand probably due to lack of underhand technique.

2) I have seen a lot of people do this. I'm not one to talk when it comes to handling fish though as I used to post a lot of pics holding fishing under the pectorals. And also did the thing with a Perch who had it's pec trapped under gill plate in a pic and didn't notice until it was pointed out. :unsure:

3) I'm fairly new to tying bait bands. I tried this knot but did not go through with the superglue stage as I binned this method after finding it too hard to get the line through the eye 3 times. The way I do it is to have the band in a tiny figure of 8 loop and then tie the knotless knot as usual. I am used to sliding down figure of 8 loops to a tiny size for hair rigs anyway. 🤷‍♂️

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I throw loosefeed underhand with my left hand, despite being right handed, as my rod/pole sits on the right, and my bait is on the left. I had to learn to do it left handed but it soon seemed natural.