3 bait ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
A few things from across the pond that may well appeal to UK finny critters and from what I read on the boards, will be items they shouldn't be wary of.

1. Chicken liver treated with garlic salt. Simply take chicken livers and place them on a screen. Cover one side with garlic salt and leave in the sun for a day. Turn, salt the other side and sun for another day. They become nice and tough so will stay well on a hook and have a smell/taste that some fish on some days can't resist. Will keep in the fridge for several weeks. May even freeze but I've never tried that.

Note: if you aren't having any sunny days, you can do them in a food dryer. Can't in the oven since it will get too warm and they will turn grainy and fall apart.

2. Beef liver treated with garlic salt and brown sugar. Place on screen as above. Light coating of garlic salt and heavy coating of brown sugar. Sun for half a day, turn, and do the other side. Becomes quite tough and sweet.

3. Beef liver treatd with gelatin. Mix the gelatin and place slices of beef liver in with it. Water temperature no more than warm. Soak for several hours and remove. Give it a couple more hours for the gelatine to set up and you have another flavorful offering that will stay nicely on hook or hair.

All three of the above are wonderful for US channel catfish and I suspect several of your species. Our channel cat aren't like the Wels but more like barbel in eating habits I think.

Newt Vail

MALC

Hi Newt,

Tried simular to No 3 but Liquidising the Liver and yes it works for our Barbel/Carp & Chub.
Also tried it with Heart but not much luck with that.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Malc - I guess you must be the only adventuresome angler on here. icon_smile.gif

I like to just treat slices of the liver since it toughens up nicely and stays on a hook well.

And the garlic treatment for chicken livers was started because we have species that love chicken liver above most other foods but right out of the chicken it is way too soft to stay on a hook.

Newt Vail

ray

hiya newt, havent tried liver on its own but one of my favourite pastes is made using liver pate mixed with pellet powder, very simple but very effective, have caught carp, tench, chub and a barbel using it. as for the garlic part, its my number one meat, i am fotunate enough to have a friend who works in holland and brings me some as and when i need it, it is absolutly laced with garlic and the fish love it.

dont give the antis any ammo, take your rubbish home.
original "clean banks campaign" slogan.

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Cheers Ray. And you really might want to try the livers toughened with garlic sometimes. I see days when fish will take them over any other bait I can offer. And - days when I can't give the things away. No clue why either. Just that fish can be notional. icon_smile.gif

Newt Vail

Status
Not open for further replies.