3,000lb of Carp caught by top Six in a match !

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
One of Britain’s leading matchmen has defended commercial fisheries after 3,000lb of carp were banked between six competitors in a record-shattering contest.

Adam Richards led the weights at The Oaks in North Yorkshire with a phenomenal 583lb 5oz of carp. He was followed by five anglers who each took more than 400lb to the scales.

News of the huge catches have has led to claims that such weights are ‘catching not fishing’. However, North Yorks-based Adam was quick to defend the commercials that provide such sport.

“The main comments I’ve seen seem to be about anglers having a lack of skill for catching these weights, which is really bizarre to me,” said the Browning-backed star and regular big-match finalist.

“I’ve fished matches where I have caught 200-plus roach on a natural reservoir, 200-plus dace on a river and 200-plus carp on a commercial.

“When you’ve fed your peg correctly and presented your bait right, they’ve all been easy to catch. You’re fishing for a large number of fish and creating lots of competition from feeding fish within your peg to get lots of bites.

“The actual weight at the end is just relative to the size of the individual fish. Two hundred fish is 200 fish, regardless of the species.

“I find it strange how 200 carp is seen as easy and only caught ‘hook-a-duck’ style, but 200 roach is seen as requiring a great deal of skill to catch.”

More here:

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
That, messire would be classed as a hard day on a certain local fishery

on this particular water you need 500lb plus to frame and over 600lb to have a chance of first

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
That's more like a day's graft than a day's fishing

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
That is bloody hard work, not many that are physically capable of catching that sort of weight.

Total

Site Supporter
@mickthechippy .....Yep, and I'll be there on Sunday. :rolleyes::giggle:......Weights will be no where like that (thank goodness) due to the shallow nature of the lake and all this bloody rain....:D

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Tbh 200 of anything is too much for me you wouldn't get the chance to take a minute to just appreciate that fact you're fishing if it's that busy. 200 carp would be absolutely exhausting and I don't think it should really be that easy to catch "big fish" if you like. 200 roach would look amazing in a net but I'd rather have half that and enjoy the day more with it not being so manic.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I think the Oaks matches are 6 hours long, so 200 fish would be one fish every 1 minute 48 seconds :eek:

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Arrans did 1500lbs to the winner a few years ago.... really not fishing in my eyes

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah that's too much, I like to fish at nice casual pace so more than happy with a dozen or so fish an hour. Don't suppose I've ever caught much more than 120 fish in session as if it's easy enough for me to do that I tend to have a few breaks for food and a wander as if they're feeding that well it's easy enough to get back on them. Silvers that is don't think I'd have ever done more than maybe 30 odd carp in a session.

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
Playing devil's advocate (not that I ever do), I would argue that roach and dace in a river or reservoir are naturally shoal fish, and carp aren't unless they are massively stocked. BUT, each to their own - it certainly requires a hell of a lot of skill and stamina, but I wouldn't want to do it personally.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Nah... not for me... had my fill of em, caught 105 in about 4 hours once... that's me done... more'n enough to scratch that itch

Total

Site Supporter
not so sure, mate was there sunday on a clubbie, still needed well over 400 for coin

I appreciate that mate and like your good self I keep my ear close to the ground etc.....Past experience there in similar conditions ( leading up to and during said match this Sunday...Loads of rain.....20 mph winds, although of the southerly sort) would suggest general lower weights to me.....But still close to 300ish for the winner. ;)(y)

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I appreciate that mate and like your good self I keep my ear close to the ground etc.....Past experience there in similar conditions ( leading up to and during said match this Sunday...Loads of rain.....20 mph winds, although of the southerly sort) would suggest general lower weights to me.....But still close to 300ish for the winner. ;)(y)

last time out there with the trotters, there was a weigh in after 3 hours, didnt even figure in my mind what that meant

had 89lb on my first weigh, thought, bloody hell micky, you done well there,

looked at the sheet and saw next peg had over 200lb, and the leader had netted 300lb plus

ended up with my personal heaviest match weight of 175lb, and was 2nd last !

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
This type of 'fishing' is nothing more than animal cruelty and it should be banned & regulations should be put in place as to how many fish can be manually stocked into a pond per sqm. Tis' Basically the Angling version of Battery Farms only theres no light of the tunnel in this case other than feeding people like Adam Richards master fisherman ego because he's faster at pulling these fish in than anybody else *claps*

These fish are farm raised and basically know nothing but the sound of dinner bell which consists of any type of top water disturbance which throws them into a frenzy due to the amount of fish per pond. They do not spook, They do not scare, They are not afraid of humans, And they will eat absolutely anything because these little ponds are so jam packed that theres generally not enough natural resources to go around them so any time an angler throws in a handful of bait it creates a moshpit of carp fighting for any morsel they might be able to pick up.

I've been to commercials like this and it's honestly disturbing and I refuse to ever fish anything like it again. You don't need a rod or a reel, You don't need any knowledge in fishing, all you need is a few pellets, a piece of line and a hook, Any size is fine, They'll eat it.

Sure, Fishing in general isn't the most humane sport but this just takes the biscuit.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
I think the Oaks matches are 6 hours long, so 200 fish would be one fish every 1 minute 48 seconds :eek:
The way I see it Dave is,call it 600 lbs for ease of calculation (allows for the odd one that got off ),If the fish average 5lbs thats 20 fish per hour or one every 3 minutes,clearly other members fish the place and can tell us what the average weight per fish is but it still seems over the top to me,they must be fishing heavier gear than normal.