2nd ever day in the river, didn’t go well!

Joe C

Site Supporter
I’ve become what I would like to think a pretty confident angler with a float rod over the years, fishing various still waters with varying levels of success. What I haven’t done a great deal of is fishing on rivers, 2nd ever time fishing one today, I decided to go for the jolly sailor stretch of the Bristol Avon, thinking that the river would be fining down nicely and there would be a chance of some good roach.

Not a single indication, really deep and hard to cast with a standard waggler setup, attempted to fish the slider but it didn’t really work. Almost fell in, almost dropped my phone in, then fell over in the mud.

Back to commercials!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Tbf mate you've given yourself a brutal time to start with freezing temperatures after months of floods, brave to even try starting on them in the winter. Rivers in summer and autumn are no harder than most lakes once you've got the hang of them, get yourself out there again when it's warmer and you'll do well. That said even the end of this week/weekend when it's a little warmer and will have been over a full week without rain it could make enough of a difference to catch a few, I'm hoping to have a go Saturday anyway.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
That's the thing with rivers, they are more challenging as the fish can move around more and tend to be less dependent on anglers' feed. Stick with it, learn the river, and you'll see results

Louis D

Site Supporter
Read the title and took it literally, never a good day if you end up in the river - unless it's because you've just won riverfest

Joe C

Site Supporter
Read the title and took it literally, never a good day if you end up in the river - unless it's because you've just won riverfest
Apologies, it should say on, the joys of iPhones!

adriang

Site Supporter
Think the weekend was generally 'hard', we fished the upper reaches of the Bristol Avon and scraped a few roach early on before it died. From chatting to others on the bank, was slow all round. Don't give up, remember that this weekend just gone was the first time in ages we've had a couple of frosty days in a row. (my car was reading -3 on Sunday morning).

Joe C

Site Supporter
Think the weekend was generally 'hard', we fished the upper reaches of the Bristol Avon and scraped a few roach early on before it died. From chatting to others on the bank, was slow all round. Don't give up, remember that this weekend just gone was the first time in ages we've had a couple of frosty days in a row. (my car was reading -3 on Sunday morning).
Yea, I was just under the impression that rivers tended to fish better than still waters when it is really cold, I will definitely give it another go when it warms back up!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Rivers do generally fish better than fairly natural Stillwaters in the cold but you’re almost always going to get more bites on a stuffed full commercial than any natural venue in any weather

DFL

Site Supporter
I started river fishing just a couple of years ago, I did have a dabble in my youth on the Thames, that was over forty years ago, so a fresh start.

Over the past couple of months I’ve fished the same spot continuously, that’s at least one common denominator removing a bit of the guesswork, I aim to try something a little different each trip, whether it’s bait, rig, time of day etc. It’s been quite interesting how some days it’s just the dace that feed, another day chub, another day trout with plenty of blanks in between! No two days seem the same, the magic of river fishing!

1-C320-B00-8115-46-B3-B46-F-0-E84-F4033-BEB.jpg

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Bright skies and the cold nights they bring this time of year, two of the coldest to date this winter I think. Not the best Roach conditions in fairness. Try and find some areas that Chub frequent, they will show up right up to the coldest of temperatures.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah if it's really cold I tend to target chub, I'll look for a day of at least about 8 degrees before I try for anything else. Looks like it might make 9 or 10 this weekend so should be better.

Joe C

Site Supporter
Some beautiful fish there! I guess there is an excitement and sense of achievement that catching on a river brings! After a days reflection I will give it more of a go I think.

I started river fishing just a couple of years ago, I did have a dabble in my youth on the Thames, that was over forty years ago, so a fresh start.

Over the past couple of months I’ve fished the same spot continuously, that’s at least one common denominator removing a bit of the guesswork, I aim to try something a little different each trip, whether it’s bait, rig, time of day etc. It’s been quite interesting how some days it’s just the dace that feed, another day chub, another day trout with plenty of blanks in between! No two days seem the same, the magic of river fishing!

1-C320-B00-8115-46-B3-B46-F-0-E84-F4033-BEB.jpg

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Rivers certainly get into your head when you get into them. Don't get me wrong I love my Stillwater and sea fishing in the closed season but once the season opens at least 3/4 of my fishing is on rivers. Catching mostly wild fish from venues not too far changed from how nature intended in often lovely scenery is what makes river fishing for me. A river in amongst the full summer bloom, the Autumn transitions or even winter frosts are almost the epitome of British countryside scenes for me so catching fish amongst all that is just a great day out in my opinion.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Yea, I was just under the impression that rivers tended to fish better than still waters when it is really cold, I will definitely give it another go when it warms back up!
They often do, you need to find the fish, when I used to fish the Avon a lot, when it was cold and the river was fining down after a flood, I’d look for the narrower, shallower areas with obvious chub features. A few pegs along the crane, Swimford or above Bath at Claverton and Limpley Stoke, even as far up as Avoncliffe. I don’t think there are as many chub as there used to be and the lower river sees more bream weights than chub weights nowadays.

Joe C

Site Supporter
They often do, you need to find the fish, when I used to fish the Avon a lot, when it was cold and the river was fining down after a flood, I’d look for the narrower, shallower areas with obvious chub features. A few pegs along the crane, Swimford or above Bath at Claverton and Limpley Stoke, even as far up as Avoncliffe. I don’t think there are as many chub as there used to be and the lower river sees more bream weights than chub weights nowadays.
The only other time I’ve fished a river was the Avon at Christian malford last summer. I winkled a few out then, including some nice chub. In hindsight fishing Saltford for roach on a clear freezing day was probably an error.

WrightyM

I think you chose the wrong day and conditions. I know that stretch well and I wouldn’t have bothered on Monday as the river was still well up And coloured. I hope you give it another go when conditions are better as the fishing can be excellent. If you want to float fish try the crow quill or Bolo with a longer rod rather than waggler, especially when the water is colder.

Joe C

Site Supporter
I think you chose the wrong day and conditions. I know that stretch well and I wouldn’t have bothered on Monday as the river was still well up And coloured. I hope you give it another go when conditions are better as the fishing can be excellent. If you want to float fish try the crow quill or Bolo with a longer rod rather than waggler, especially when the water is colder.
I definitely will!