2mm Carbon float

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
@LukeB86 An overnight thought and probably a stupid question but when did you last have your eyes tested?

I have no problem seeing a 0.7mm float at 10-11m, I have a good optician. So that she knew the quality of sight I need I took along a pole float when I first had a test done by her.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
@LukeB86 An overnight thought and probably a stupid question but when did you last have your eyes tested?

I have no problem seeing a 0.7mm float at 10-11m, I have a good optician. So that she knew the quality of sight I need I took along a pole float when I first had a test done by her.
It’s not so much seeing a float tip 11-16m away though, it’s a combination of dappled light, shadows, ripple, bright sun, etc..to be taken into account, there’s no point having a bristle that’s too thin..

spark1

With cloud cover and dim light and tree shadow you could have a 10mm tip and your still struggle to see it given all the different shades on the water. Gaza is spot on with his post.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
It’s not so much seeing a float tip 11-16m away though, it’s a combination of dappled light, shadows, ripple, bright sun, etc..to be taken into account, there’s no point having a bristle that’s too thin..

If I were struggling to see it I would change to a different float, thicker tip. Bit pointless (or stupid?) using a float you can't see. But for most of my canal fishing I can see the tip perfectly well when fishing the far shelf and my favourite canal float just happens to have a 0.7mm bristle.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
If I were struggling to see it I would change to a different float, thicker tip. Bit pointless (or stupid?) using a float you can't see. But for most of my canal fishing I can see the tip perfectly well when fishing the far shelf and my favourite canal float just happens to have a 0.7mm bristle.
So I wonder how you would cope seeing a float tip tucked in the far bank reeds/rat holes at 13-16m, or fished up against reeds at distance, with a strong ripple and sun blazing down

LukeB86

Good thought Neil but my eyes are fine, its the combination of conditions that cause me issues. Another factor is that I mainly fish carp waters. Therefore I'd prefer to have a 2mm carbon stem slim float that I can use for most of my fishing. Just trying to simplify my float choices also.

acart8426

Good thought Neil but my eyes are fine, its the combination of conditions that cause me issues. Another factor is that I mainly fish carp waters. Therefore I'd prefer to have a 2mm carbon stem slim float that I can use for most of my fishing. Just trying to simplify my float choices also.

Get Jim Standish to make you a few , he's on facebook . He turns his own bodies in IGF110 foam and will make them .

Regards

Andrew

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter

I too use just one float of the type you describe for 90% of my full depth commercial fishing. The BGT Shallow-Long 0.5g. Unfortunately no longer available. But 2mm bristle, carbon stem, slim rugby ball body.

Shallow Long.jpg

LukeB86

RW is too busy to take any orders, I have now emailed Nick Gilbert and waiting for a reply. Hopefully he can do them and I can get new elastic at the same time.