20mph wind + rain vs umbrella

markyboy

So which umbrella copes with this without too many problems? Fished in these conditions with wind directly on my back, have an old keenets flatback brolly that was attached to my box and fixed with guy ropes and pegs, had a couple of occasions where the wind bent the brolly spokes the wrong way so the umbrella wrapped round me, not prepared to just sit in waterproofs as enjoy a little comfort when fishing so what do people use in these conditions?

tedstriker

Site Supporter
wont be many brollies that will cope in it, i put mine up yesterday and had to hold onto it for dear life

Tomboy22

Bait brolly and gortex clothing bin the main brolly nothing but trouble they get in the way and cause damage when they blow over.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Mine got trashed yesterday... it was an old one but a fave... not found one yet thay is totally wind proof

TrickyD

Site Supporter
See quite a few people with day shelters, possibly no good if pole fishing, but they're fairly stable, quick to erect & wont break the bank.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
On the subject of brollies. The white plastic collar & screw has disappeared off mine. God knows at which fishery I lost it. Anybody know if you can buy spare bits for brollies?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
On the subject of brollies. The white plastic collar & screw has disappeared off mine. God knows at which fishery I lost it. Anybody know if you can buy spare bits for brollies?

Yes, you can buy them. I got one from my local tackle shop.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Korum mk 2 day shelter or my very old Brotel.
It's all down to how much room there is.
All mine have storm poles and or guy ropes.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Depending on what your local tackle shop stocks, he/she might have to order one in for you.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
20mph wind plus rain is stay at home weather not fishing weather! Fair play for even trying in that.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Depending on what your local tackle shop stocks, he/she might have to order one in for you.
Just been to dig it out & it's a Leeda model. I bought it second hand off a mate. It's got a label in it stating 2000, so probably a discontinued model. I'll still go & ask at the tackle shop though.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Any will fit, they are standard on all brolly's mate. If you want the proper name for them they are called collets. more often than not, these days they are black.

richox12

Strong wind + brolly = normally a disaster waiting to happen

But, if you have to, get one with swivelling threads at end of ribs so they can be attached to Storm Poles or extending banksticks and that way it will be much firmer and also stop it rotating.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
You can buy storm caps from most tackle shops but they only make one size and that is for the metal ribs... I've not been able to source any to fit the wider fibre glass ribs...

frankg

Site Supporter
You can buy storm caps from most tackle shops but they only make one size and that is for the metal ribs... I've not been able to source any to fit the wider fibre glass ribs...

Nor me Arry.....I saw another post on here some time ago stating he uses thick coated garden wire wrapped wround the ribs and the storm cap attached to that.

PAB

Site Supporter
Preston flatback as good as any ive had mind you I had to sit right under it and hold it yesterday the wind and rain was right in my face so I jus gave up for 10 minutes and pulled it right down. Kin weather!!!