Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
To clarify. I don't feel pressure, just frustration that my fishing has suddenly become so poor. I match fish today for a few reasons.

First is that it takes me to venues I probably would not bother going to. Second is the social interaction. I have been retired for nearly thirteen years and without fishing I could possibly go weeks without having any social interaction with anyone. Not healthy. Third, there is the competitive element. Not pressure as such because my first and foremost aim is for a good day's fishing. But it is, I think, human nature to want to test yourself against others. This is why we have all manner of competitive sport, even break dancing!

Finally the following was the state of my peg yesterday just a short while before I decided to abandon the bank before I got cut off.

IMG_20201222_123730345.jpg

smiffy

Site Supporter
To be honest I’d be running to that peg in an open if I knew nothing about it. Must have some big fish in it?

Pyffy

Site Supporter
Not as far as I am aware.
It's a nice peg when the river drops and home to some reasonably sized bream and roach in the deeper water but they can be a bummer to catch. The pegs below that peg where it shallows up and the water from the weir joins were hit and miss during the summer, one day plenty of bites another poor. I fished the snake lake on Sunday Neil and had 3 bites all morning, 1 skimmer, 1 mirror for around 4lb and one munter that straightened the hook. Keep going Neil and I hope to bump into you around the Ringstead complex over the X-mas period.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
To clarify. I don't feel pressure, just frustration that my fishing has suddenly become so poor. I match fish today for a few reasons.

First is that it takes me to venues I probably would not bother going to. Second is the social interaction. I have been retired for nearly thirteen years and without fishing I could possibly go weeks without having any social interaction with anyone. Not healthy. Third, there is the competitive element. Not pressure as such because my first and foremost aim is for a good day's fishing. But it is, I think, human nature to want to test yourself against others. This is why we have all manner of competitive sport, even break dancing!

Finally the following was the state of my peg yesterday just a short while before I decided to abandon the bank before I got cut off.

Looks like an out and out flyer to me 👍

rd350lc

To be honest I’d be running to that peg in an open if I knew nothing about it. Must have some big fish in it?
It hasn't , not a good peg in any circumstances let alone conditions like that the one above is better .

rd350lc

It's a nice peg when the river drops and home to some reasonably sized bream and roach in the deeper water but they can be a bummer to catch. The pegs below that peg where it shallows up and the water from the weir joins were hit and miss during the summer, one day plenty of bites another poor. I fished the snake lake on Sunday Neil and had 3 bites all morning, 1 skimmer, 1 mirror for around 4lb and one munter that straightened the hook. Keep going Neil and I hope to bump into you around the Ringstead complex over the X-mas period.
I've fished countless matches on the lock cut over 20 years and have never seen a bream caught from that peg .
The 3 towards the point are where they normally are .
Might be matches tho , maybe pleasure fishing is a different kettle of fish , no pun intended.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The way the rains coming down today into already borderline flooded rivers I don't think there's going to be many river matches anywhere for a while now. Much more of it coming down like this and even some of the canals will be flooded again like last winter.

rd350lc

God Neil , that looks a bit different to Sunday .....will be even worse after all the rain today .

Pyffy

Site Supporter
I've fished countless matches on the lock cut over 20 years and have never seen a bream caught from that peg .
The 3 towards the point are where they normally are .
Might be matches tho , maybe pleasure fishing is a different kettle of fish , no pun intended.
You are probably correct about the matches as I only pleasure fish. However I fished it over the summer a few times and always managed at least a couple of bream and some of the roach went to over a pound. The swims below for me were hit and miss and on the miss days I moved to my prefered swim on the point where the back brook re-joins the main river.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter

Look forward to it. Just look for the old Rive box without a footplate and the red bucket.

Yesterday's match was won from the point with three bream for 8lb.

Planning on fishing the Donut tomorrow. Very cold weather predicted.

Last edited:

Pyffy

Site Supporter
Look forward to it. Just look for the old Rive box without a footplate and the red bucket.

Yesterday's match was won from the point with three bream for 8lb.

Planning on fishing the Donut tomorrow. Very cold weather predicted.

That's the beauty of that swim, you can target the chub, roach and rudd, fishing the far bank of the back water into the main river with a waggler as its deeper across, assuming not too much flow and if you can get between the weed a stick down the middle to inside picks up all of the above. Else fish the boat track on the right to pick up the bream, and all the above plus the perch in there are a good size and not afraid to give you a good tug.

I'll keep my eye out for your red bucket and say hello. I think we did chat this summer when you did the rounds of the snake lake checking for groundbait compliance after the de-oxygenation scare. You will normally find me in the pegs on the snake lake adjacent to the doughnut somewhere around 30-35.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
That may not have been me that walked round checking for groundbait. I don't have a bailiff ID badge and so while I may wander round and have a chat I will only mention groundbait if it is openly on view. And then just a friendly warning against being spotted by the actual bailiff.

Always happy to have a chat on the bank.

Pyffy

Site Supporter
That may not have been me that walked round checking for groundbait. I don't have a bailiff ID badge and so while I may wander round and have a chat I will only mention groundbait if it is openly on view. And then just a friendly warning against being spotted by the actual bailiff.

Always happy to have a chat on the bank.
Hi Neil, It may not have been you, apologies. It wasn't an actual check per se, as the chap wasn't one of the usual guys who do the rounds to check club cards. The chap introduced himself as a committee member and was just reminding anglers of the no ground bait rule, due to the recent de-oxygenation and had a quick peak in my bowl containing my 2mm micros for the method feeder.

I will definitely introduce myself if I spot you and your red bucket around the fishery, being a big guy I won't be hard to miss perched on my box cursing my cack handedness andanother lost carp ;-)

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Evening Neil,

Shame about the peg mate looks you could have done with a platform barrow. (y)

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Some river anglers can be so righteous, insisting on fishing a flooded river when you could move the match to a canal or lake, it’s always been the same, I recall matches before the advent of commercials that should have been switched to the canal and you always get some nutters postulating on how great it is to fish a lobworm with an 8oz breakaway and 3 people in the whole match get a bite.........

I wouldn’t add today to your woes, sometimes there really is nothing you can do.

Turned up to a river match as part of a few matches i fished with a club, to find no-one turned up. Made a phone call and found out they had cancelled the winter river series with immediate affect and decided to just fish on their local commercial for the rest of the series.

My fault for not being in the know. After getting tired of running a club, i fished ones i could with these guys, a refreshing break with: turn up, fish match, go home, no jobs on the day and although was a committed angler to turning up in winter and others on commercials in summer (a yes is a yes in my book and i will be there and was), i didn't attend meetings in my need for going with the flow and just fish some matches with them.

But on reflection, had these guys got it right, perhaps yes. Winter: have the comfort and ease and on site brekky, not too much of a walk and general less effort (walking, lugging kit etc). As much as i love the river in any time of the year personally, but the ironic thing was that and again to try and accommodate and ensure numbers, the river stretches were short walk at most, with much park next to the river.

Trouble is, it then wasn't balanced out by fish the river in summer, it was the commercial season then and with the sorts of weights that draw some people, end result- the club just fish commercials, do what the majority want- i get that and to reflect that not all of the summer anglers wished to fish the winter river series, they split the season into two series.

In the situation Neil/his club faced, wondering if much of the frustration is down to prompt communicating of things and when a decision has to be taken, as in when, too late and people have prepped accordingly for a late switch to a completely different venue to be a problem, to soon and the keen river anglers might say, give it time yet- line of least resistance time may be? Cancel match completely and if anyone wants to knock up elsewhere then they can.

Last edited: