Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
2020 some good results some not so good. Best bits, Alder farm pairs weekend, 2nd on the friday and 2nd in the pairs l think and the Craic was good.
Dol Y Gaer/Ponsticcle 2 day festival, lying 2nd out of 50 on the first day, ahead of the likes of Hadrian Whittle, Rory Jones, Des Shipp, John Harvey, Lee Edwards, Clive Branson, Mikey Williams, well chuffed. Needed a good draw for the 2nd day but when Lee Edwards pulled out peg 9 and swore then l pulled out 11 l knew that was it.
All in all, really enjoyed a swing towards longer distance silvers fishing rather than commercials and a bit of whip fishing.

rudd

Site Supporter
Alot of fishing revolves around psychology.
Match fishing especially, starts at draw, then on bank (whos around me, how are they fishing, what kit do they have), then during match itself with feeding, tactical, feeding, netting tiny fish, banter etc etc.

Ask yourself a question?
Are you match fishing socially or competitively?
Are you more bothered with the perception of yourself by others or angry with yourself for not framing?

I have a feeling you are playing mind games with yourself and beating yourself up about it as you are bothered about other club anglers perception of you. This in turn is causing you to fish badly and also causing you not to enjoy your fishing.

Maybe its time for change, if so - please do not become a golf (w)anchor - take up specimen carp fishing 😂😂😂

JLK

After another poor match yesterday I am left wondering what has gone wrong for me this year. My match fishing has been nothing short of disastrous.

After Lockdown eased in June I could not catch to save my life. I think it was something like six of the next seven matches I didn't bother weighing in. And things have not got much better since. When I compare this to the previous few years when I was framing regularly it is somewhat concerning. As I approach the age of 66 I wonder if it is time to abandon match fishing and buy a deckchair. Have I lost an edge due to age? I still draw good pegs, yesterday's was a known flier but I seem to be making poor decisions or I'm just plain fishing badly.

Anyone else gone through a slump in form? If so what did you do to rectify it?

Hopefully 2021 will improve. Perhaps I will spend some of my new found wealth (State Pension) on a new box (with footplate), a new pole and fit it with light elastics. I have already splashed the cash on a Guru catapult that allows you to change the elastic length. :p;):giggle::roflmao:

There is a really good blog by someone on this forum with an A-Z of how to's.
Might be worth a read over the Xmas period to pick up some tips maybe? 🤔😜

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Drew the same peg as Sunday. River up a foot and coloured and still rising. My peg was now well over 12 foot deep. Packed up after four hours - biteless and in danger of being cut off by the rising tide. The anglers either side of me also packed up at the same time.

We could have switched venue to the adjacent snake lake but the river anglers wanted their day on the river. Their match, their decision.

One consolation, Joe Roberts, veteran world champion, was also struggling with two bites after three hours.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Drew the same peg as Sunday. River up a foot and coloured and still rising. My peg was now well over 12 foot deep. Packed up after four hours - biteless and in danger of being cut off by the rising tide. The anglers either side of me also packed up at the same time.

We could have switched venue to the adjacent snake lake but the river anglers wanted their day on the river. Their match, their decision.

One consolation, Joe Roberts, veteran world champion, was also struggling with two bites after three hours.
Well Neil. You’ve bet me today. I’ve not been fishing. 😩😩.

Shame. You all would have had more on your snake lake. 😩

smiffy

Site Supporter
Conditions beat you today. Nothing to do with decision making. Put that one down to experience and look forward to the next match.
I had periods when I felt invincible and it didn’t matter what peg I drew and times when a run of poor decision making and bad draws seemed to drag on for months. It happens, but if your not dipping your hand in the drawbag it will never get better.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
@Neil ofthe nene , this is totally down to the influx of anglers returning to the sport due to Furlough/Lockdown.
This has resulted in unprecedented numbers of anglers on the bank chucking loads of bait at the fish which means they've never had it so good. This in turn has produced more discerning fish which now pick and choose only the finest/most expensive baits to eat and they have realised that those baits are normally used by those anglers who are prepared to spend most on their chosen sport/hobby.

They now swim around actively looking for anglers who are using the more expensive brands of tackle and now recognise that large amounts of Guru Orange, Maver Green and Drennan Aqua visible on a peg/platform along with the requisite matching branded keepnets in the water indicate an angler who's not afraid of spending a bit of cash, so choose to only feed in those pegs.

So in short the answer is to get your wallet out and spend some dosh. 🤣
Have to disagree with part of that, Peter. More anglers who are furloughed, probably. But chucking lots of bait at the fish? When there's frost on the ground or the water is freezing? Absolutely not. Half a slice of bread is normal for those dobbing bread, and I'll wager no-one is using more than half a pint of maggots in the matches I fish.

But I'm sure you're right about the fish being able to distinguish between Drennan and Guru hooks etc. ;) ;)

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Back to Neil's original sorry state of affairs. There's no doubt that there are far more club anglers around now capable of winning matches than even 30 years ago. So that means that if there are some pegs slightly better than others the chances are there's a good angler on it. That certainly applies even more on the waters that attract the regular open matchmen.

That means that you need to get one of the better peps to do well, and in Winter the difference between the two types of pegs is greater than in Summer, as the fish hole up and won't move. So Neil appears to be just in a run of no-good draws. BUT it gets disheartening if you're down at the bottom every week.

However, while the really good blokes can still frame even from an average peg, there are still times when they get thrashed - they just don't publicise it!

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Today I was not going to do well from the peg I was on. So I take no hurt from packing up early. Back to the complex on Thursday and I'll fish the smaller of the lakes (Donut) on site that has a good head of small silvers, crucians, F1s and small carp. I may not take the place apart but I do expect to have a few bites.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter

Some river anglers can be so righteous, insisting on fishing a flooded river when you could move the match to a canal or lake, it’s always been the same, I recall matches before the advent of commercials that should have been switched to the canal and you always get some nutters postulating on how great it is to fish a lobworm with an 8oz breakaway and 3 people in the whole match get a bite.........

I wouldn’t add today to your woes, sometimes there really is nothing you can do.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
It does seem nuts to have a river match in the conditions we've got at the moment. Always going to be unfishable for most the field.

My clubs' matches tend to get moved to the canal when the rivers stuffed. Think the city centre one at the weekend just gone would have been moved had it been known that the weir stream sluices were going to be opened the morning of the match. Would have probably been ok if the river had stayed backed up against the gates but as soon as it was freed it was always going to be a washout for most.

Total

Site Supporter
Some river anglers can be so righteous, insisting on fishing a flooded river when you could move the match to a canal or lake, it’s always been the same, I recall matches before the advent of commercials that should have been switched to the canal and you always get some nutters postulating on how great it is to fish a lobworm with an 8oz breakaway and 3 people in the whole match get a bite.........

I wouldn’t add today to your woes, sometimes there really is nothing you can do.

^^ Been there, done that....:)......After experiencing a fellow angler almost loosing his life in similar dangerous conditions, I knocked it on the head.....Not worth the grief......(y)

smiffy

Site Supporter

I agree but it does work both ways. I’ve had some matches cancelled when the river has been perfectly fishable. Some anglers though, deem it ” unfishable” and it needs to be scrapped. Mainly because they had not got a clue how to tackle it. In this day and age of Pole feeders, unless it’s dangerous it’s always worth having a go. Fished some great league matches, that couldn’t be cancelled, on rivers you would normally walk away from.

Gaz9243

Yesterday's match was in a lock cut on the river. My third time of fishing it. I have the chance of fishing another match tomorrow on it. Tempted as I feel I have unfinished business. Afraid to because of my poor result yesterday.

@chefster you are right I do need to change my approach, but to what? Anyone offering a day's coaching?

that’s your problem right there! Putting to much thought into the negative side.
buy yourself that new box and pole, that will boost your confidence, as it gives you an excuse for failing (not used to this new kit yet etc)

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
that’s your problem right there! Putting to much thought into the negative side.
buy yourself that new box and pole, that will boost your confidence, as it gives you an excuse for failing (not used to this new kit yet etc)

Spend money? Not bloody likely.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Good grief, I'm glad I don't match fish :censored:
I have to say whilst I love following the match scene as it’s probably the best source of up to date info on how places are fishing, what methods are working, new methods etc I don’t think I could ever bring myself to fish a match myself. Maybe the odd causal knock up with mates or for charity but that would be it. I do occasionally think it would be quite cool to be involved in the social side of it and about how much about fishing I’d probably learn doing it. But then I think of how much I’d hate to be told where to fish, when to fish, how long to fish and have to fish in any weather and actually have to put in 100% effort every time all session and not really relax and take it all in at which point I realise it would not be for me at all. Could happily do it as a profession but not as a pastime.

It’s a weird one really I love following match fishing but would hate to do it. Bit like my attitude to boxing 😂

Alantherose

Site Supporter
I have to say whilst I love following the match scene as it’s probably the best source of up to date info on how places are fishing, what methods are working, new methods etc I don’t think I could ever bring myself to fish a match myself. Maybe the odd causal knock up with mates or for charity but that would be it. I do occasionally think it would be quite cool to be involved in the social side of it and about how much about fishing I’d probably learn doing it. But then I think of how much I’d hate to be told where to fish, when to fish, how long to fish and have to fish in any weather and actually have to put in 100% effort every time all session and not really relax and take it all in at which point I realise it would not be for me at all. Could happily do it as a profession but not as a pastime.

It’s a weird one really I love following match fishing but would hate to do it. Bit like my attitude to boxing 😂
Yep, that’s where I’m at with it too. I would never knock those who do, but for me personally I just don’t fancy the pressure (as exemplified by this thread).