buygoodtackle

As with any problem solving just change one thing at a time - take your list and change /add one thing to try out over a period of time eg as it is winter the waggler may be worth a try given the water may be clearer. Trust your maxim of keep it simple.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
@Neil ofthe nene , this is totally down to the influx of anglers returning to the sport due to Furlough/Lockdown.
This has resulted in unprecedented numbers of anglers on the bank chucking loads of bait at the fish which means they've never had it so good. This in turn has produced more discerning fish which now pick and choose only the finest/most expensive baits to eat and they have realised that those baits are normally used by those anglers who are prepared to spend most on their chosen sport/hobby.

They now swim around actively looking for anglers who are using the more expensive brands of tackle and now recognise that large amounts of Guru Orange, Maver Green and Drennan Aqua visible on a peg/platform along with the requisite matching branded keepnets in the water indicate an angler who's not afraid of spending a bit of cash, so choose to only feed in those pegs.

So in short the answer is to get your wallet out and spend some dosh. 🤣

G20

Site Supporter
There is hope Neil....Me? approaching 77 now and I have never had more success than I've had this year, I have won 17 matches, second 6 times and third 3 times albeit in small club matches of up to 30+but most times smaller, I have only been fishing in the warmer days and must admit most are seniors (but not all, and some a lot younger ).... I found that by concentrating on what I do best worked for me whether it was fishing paste (a bit unconventionally at times) or by fishing the method. I found that thinking about tactics was my best way and not being lazy in putting my thoughts. changing to that what I was thinking, and adjusting
So you see there is hope for some of you youngsters(y)

Line Clip

Joined a new club this year and its been good, got to meet and fish against a lot of new faces, very good anglers that are better anglers than me.
one match angler always frames, and has won a lot of matches, down the years, he has been very helpful, and is forthcoming with advice, on tactics, bait, info on the peg drawn etc
But you still find other anglers knocking him for winning, and saying comments like he always draws a flier, or he had nowt until that big carp in the last five mins or he was lucky again. to me its good angling, skill,
At the end of the day he will fish the peg to get the maximum out of it on the tactic that he as an experienced angler thinks is right ,
were by some anglers including myself will fish the peg on the pole when all the time to win we should be on the feeder etc.
My thoughts are, becouse of the standard of angler in this club, to beat them, you need a good draw, then you hope they dont draw so well and things go well on the day , then maybe you find yourself in the money.
It can get you down seeing the same faces winning all the time but in my case I am slowly climbing the ladder watching and learning, from the top guys in our club who are so tuned in to our club waters and know every peg like the back of there hand, Yes they are dammnd hard to beat, but I think with a change in thought, and info provided by them, and more info on the water next year could be better still time will tell:)

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Well I have taken the plunge and booked into tomorrow's knock up. Given the state of the river today I guess we will be back on the lock cut. I have made up some 1g/12foot rigs in case I draw the same swim. Yesterday I was restricted by the longest rigs I had with me. The rest of the cut is only 5 or so foot deep but this one swim goes down to 10-12. Probably because it has been scoured out as it is immediately downstream of the bridge crossing the cut that restricts the width.

Last two times I have fished it (the first two times I have fished it) the fish have switched off after about two hours. My guess is that I have overfed. So with that in mind I am approaching the day with a new plan and hopefully renewed enthusiasm.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
@Neil ofthe nene , this is totally down to the influx of anglers returning to the sport due to Furlough/Lockdown.
This has resulted in unprecedented numbers of anglers on the bank chucking loads of bait at the fish which means they've never had it so good. This in turn has produced more discerning fish which now pick and choose only the finest/most expensive baits to eat and they have realised that those baits are normally used by those anglers who are prepared to spend most on their chosen sport/hobby.

They now swim around actively looking for anglers who are using the more expensive brands of tackle and now recognise that large amounts of Guru Orange, Maver Green and Drennan Aqua visible on a peg/platform along with the requisite matching branded keepnets in the water indicate an angler who's not afraid of spending a bit of cash, so choose to only feed in those pegs.

So in short the answer is to get your wallet out and spend some dosh. 🤣

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
FWIW Neil - I remember the days when your profile read "average angler who works it out too late to win" or something like that.
So you obviously did something that upped your confidence and led to the better results of recent years.

My experience, in over 30 years of match fishing, is that the most consistently successful anglers have a wide range of skills and options - but also have the confidence to limit what they do on a particular match.
In other words, they have a plan A for a match, a plan B as backup - but beyond that you're in the realms of chopping and changing too much to be effective. Plan A can be several lines / approaches of course that are rotated or put in to action at different points.
Equally - Most alternatives are a "small" variation of something you already know.

So - as Buygoodtackle said - try a few different thing, but don't overcomplicate.

and for tomorrow - roach fishing on the Nene has never in my lifetime needed a lot of feed. We used to take a pint of maggots and bring half back!
When I had 17 pounds to win at the Shallows back in October I used less than a pint and a half of casters and hemp.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I’d also add you could be on the wrong peg..... winter match fishing isn’t known as aquatic bingo for no reason!
I did put that on my previous post !! But from what he was saying he’s had the problem all year

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
There is hope Neil....Me? approaching 77 now and I have never had more success than I've had this year, I have won 17 matches, second 6 times and third 3 times albeit in small club matches of up to 30+but most times smaller, I have only been fishing in the warmer days and must admit most are seniors (but not all, and some a lot younger ).... I found that by concentrating on what I do best worked for me whether it was fishing paste (a bit unconventionally at times) or by fishing the method. I found that thinking about tactics was my best way and not being lazy in putting my thoughts. changing to that what I was thinking, and adjusting
So you see there is hope for some of you youngsters(y)
Wow ! I hope I’m doing that at 76. Well done young man. 👍

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Well I have taken the plunge and booked into tomorrow's knock up. Given the state of the river today I guess we will be back on the lock cut. I have made up some 1g/12foot rigs in case I draw the same swim. Yesterday I was restricted by the longest rigs I had with me. The rest of the cut is only 5 or so foot deep but this one swim goes down to 10-12. Probably because it has been scoured out as it is immediately downstream of the bridge crossing the cut that restricts the width.

Last two times I have fished it (the first two times I have fished it) the fish have switched off after about two hours. My guess is that I have overfed. So with that in mind I am approaching the day with a new plan and hopefully renewed enthusiasm.
Good luck 👍

rd350lc

Good luck Neil 👍

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
had a decent start to this year...then my stroke...this has kept me from fishing for the rest of the year..been told to take it easy because im at high risk of another stroke..so will wait until next march /april..in the meantime my wifes just had a heart attack..so looking after her..so hopefully next year will be better...cant be much worse.
All the best and speedy recoveries to you both🙏👍

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Yesterday's match was in a lock cut on the river. My third time of fishing it. I have the chance of fishing another match tomorrow on it. Tempted as I feel I have unfinished business. Afraid to because of my poor result yesterday.

@chefster you are right I do need to change my approach, but to what? Anyone offering a day's coaching?

I can do you a day with Scribe Neil it won't make your fishing any better, but at least you will think strewth at least I am not that bad, :D:D

2020 has been well 2020 need I say anymore, it's bound to have had an effect on us all, whether we recognize it or not. As I recall 2018 wasn't great either Neil, but 2019 you really picked up personally, so It must go in two year cycles good job is 2021 soon. (y)