alsur

Site Supporter
I haven't fished any matches this year but I don't fish that many now anyway, pleasure fishing hasn't been that good but I've avoided travelling to far and fished quieter club lakes.

Talking about being less competitive as you get older I think that is true to some extent but a couple of my friends are still very competitive but they are slightly younger than me. I think a big factor is the number of matches you fish I've certainly notice that the fewer matches I fish the less competitive I've become my friends that still do well still fish a lot a couple of matches a week most of the time.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I reckon you’ve had a good year so far, furloughed and fishing all spring and summer 👍
Yeah can’t complain at all it’s definitely been good 👍🏻

Fishing from mid May to end of October save for a tough spell in June was generally really good. Been a bit tough last couple months with the dodgy weather but it is what it is this time of year. Won’t get another year with this number of sessions until retirement so by the law of averages of the more you fish the more good sessions you’ll have I doubt I’ll have a better fishing year again for a long time 🙂

BTMS

Site Supporter
It will get better Neil. You can not keep an excellent angler down for long

fishcatcher4

Don't match fish and have only been fishing about 3/4 times this year.

Some of you don't know how lucky you are.;):D

rudd

Site Supporter
In these parts the OAPs fish OAP only matches once or twice a week.

Known as 'The Custard Dribblers' 😂

They actually have a large turnout most of the year and are very competitive!

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
You need to start doing different things , such as fishing long, dobbing bread, fishing shallow, pellet waggler, bomb and pellet, instead of just fishing margins, top 6,and pellet feeder 🤷‍♂️

And therein lies my problems.

When do I choose to fish

1. Long
  2. Dobbing bread
  3. Shallow
  4. Pellet waggler
  5. Bomb & pellet
  6. Bomb & corn
  7. Margins
  8. Top 6
  9. Pellet feeder
  10. Method feeder
  11. Banjo feeder
  12. Hybrid feeder
  13. Ordinary waggler
  14. Worm
  15. Caster
  16. Maggot
  17. Pellet (hard)
  18. Pellet (expander)
  19. Corn
  20. Corn skin
  21. Paste
A match is only 5/6 hours long and only around an hour to set up.

And then we have the vast variation of pole floats. Plus feeding - what, where, when, how.

This, I think, is where I need help. Technically I can do all of the above. What I cannot do is make the right decision as to when to do what.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
And therein lies my problems.

When do I choose to fish

1. Long
  2. Dobbing bread
  3. Shallow
  4. Pellet waggler
  5. Bomb & pellet
  6. Bomb & corn
  7. Margins
  8. Top 6
  9. Pellet feeder
  10. Method feeder
  11. Banjo feeder
  12. Hybrid feeder
  13. Ordinary waggler
  14. Worm
  15. Caster
  16. Maggot
  17. Pellet (hard)
  18. Pellet (expander)
  19. Corn
  20. Corn skin
  21. Paste
A match is only 5/6 hours long and only around an hour to set up.

And then we have the vast variation of pole floats. Plus feeding - what, where, when, how.

This, I think, is where I need help. Technically I can do all of the above. What I cannot do is make the right decision as to when to do what.
You won’t need to fish all those methods on one day lol.... you have an idea of what/what will work at what times of year on what venues, and make a rough plan in your mind , tackle up accordingly and work it out on the day 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

smiffy

Site Supporter
What I cannot do is make the right decision as to when to do what.
Thats something that can’t be taught I’m afraid. Experience and instinct is the only way forward. It was normally something I got right after the “all out” was signalled😉.

rob6709

Site Supporter
One thing I noticed this year is that by the time I was able to get out match fishing again, all the venues (commercials) had been hammered and fished poorly. I think I've fished about 12 matches, won 4 framed in most of the rest. However I packed up early on 2 matches, I could not see where the next bite was coming from and I was as far away as you can get from those that were catching. I've fished 4 open matches on rivers and enjoyed that a whole lot more.

The conclusion I've come to is that I'm sick of commercials. The fact that in the spring/summer every man and his dog was fishing them every day has resulted in some really dire matches come the weekends. I don't think I'll be bothering next year.

John Step

Site Supporter
This may sound sarky but not meant that way. Need new specs? Sometimes when the line on the hooklength seems too fine or a tangle happens and you get put off it can affect the way you do everything else and affect consentration?
Deep breath and carry on!

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Think you have to look at facts Neil.

You know your venues.
You have your analysis of previous results on those venues.
You play a reliable percentage match by doing what you are good at and have faith in, again based on previous results, suggesting no need for any major changes.

So, unless the 'opposition' have upped their game or there are new opposition upping the stakes, i reckon much of what you are going through is now in your head and following that first put in, or worse on the drive there or over your breakfast the doubts are creeping in, then as much as you try, you can't stop those thoughts impacting on your in match decision making. It's the type of run that usually only ends with a good day that you didn't see coming and not one you tried too hard on, you need a match that just falls into place, as rare as they are.

All of that said, i match fish differently and don't believe in 'stick to what you know' as a basis for when fishing numerous venues, so there may an element of what chefster suggested, in that broadening your horizons and subsequently tactic range might help. In other words i try and make sure i 'do know it' by the time the match comes requiring anything new/different to the norm.

Knowing you as i do Neil, i can't see you changing much, unless you have too, it depends on what you put your run down to that would determine how you go about fixing it. In other words- bad run of luck, ride it out and it will turn around. The competition raising their game, then you have to follow suit with changes to tactics. You know enough about match fishing and in seeing what others are doing and how to read the pattern of a match, reflect and analyse that, as a way of taking your mind off the run.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Think you have to look at facts Neil.

You know your venues.
You have your analysis of previous results on those venues.
You play a reliable percentage match by doing what you are good at and have faith in, again based on previous results, suggesting no need for any major changes.

So, unless the 'opposition' have upped their game or there are new opposition upping the stakes, i reckon much of what you are going through is now in your head and following that first put in, or worse on the drive there or over your breakfast the doubts are creeping in, then as much as you try, you can't stop those thoughts impacting on your in match decision making. It's the type of run that usually only ends with a good day that you didn't see coming and not one you tried too hard on, you need a match that just falls into place, as rare as they are.

All of that said, i match fish differently and don't believe in 'stick to what you know' as a basis for when fishing numerous venues, so there may an element of what chefster suggested, in that broadening your horizons and subsequently tactic range might help. In other words i try and make sure i 'do know it' by the time the match comes requiring anything new/different to the norm.

Knowing you as i do Neil, i can't see you changing much, unless you have too, it depends on what you put your run down to that would determine how you go about fixing it. In other words- bad run of luck, ride it out and it will turn around. The competition raising their game, then you have to follow suit with changes to tactics. You know enough about match fishing and in seeing what others are doing and how to read the pattern of a match, reflect and analyse that, as a way of taking your mind off the run.
At the end of the day, if you’re not catching and others are, your on the wrong method or not fishing it right, it’s no good sugarcoating it 🤷‍♂️

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
This may sound sarky but not meant that way. Need new specs? Sometimes when the line on the hooklength seems too fine or a tangle happens and you get put off it can affect the way you do everything else and affect consentration?
Deep breath and carry on!

New glasses mid November.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
Careful advertising you’re not fishing well. There’s a cockney yorkshire man who might try and hustle ya for a quid

crayfishtraps

Site Supporter
had a decent start to this year...then my stroke...this has kept me from fishing for the rest of the year..been told to take it easy because im at high risk of another stroke..so will wait until next march /april..in the meantime my wifes just had a heart attack..so looking after her..so hopefully next year will be better...cant be much worse.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Correct @chefster , that's why i reckon Neil should start with thinking about what he has observed during the matches. You know the sort of thing, you can usually come away reflecting on 'yep, that decision won me the match/got me a frame' or 'that in-decision cost me the match/frame'. As things you have control over.

I looked at it from the 'answer yes or no' to the following:

Have your skills dropped-No
Have the tactics worked previously on the venues-Yes
So, in that situation, the only variable is what the opposition may be/may not be doing.

Like i said, i think you have point on the tactical aspect, as you know yourself sometimes, you have a not so good result when you have gone around all those lines fruitless on one round of the rotations and left yourself no-where to go. Of course how many (to a degree) and what lines you have is key, but and factoring Neils previously well used tactic of working fewer lines better than risking the possibility of working lots of lines and tactics not so well (juggling 3 oranges well instead of trying to juggle 6 and dropping the lot), can only be analysed by Neil based on what he has seen as the root cause.

ATTICUS FINCH

This year is the first for near ten years that I have been back on the bank. It's been quite good having rejoined my old club and I have won eight matches to boot.
I'm currently leading in our club champs by the slender margin of one point .so angling wise it's been a good year ,the rest of it is pants.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
This year is the first for near ten years that I have been back on the bank. It's been quite good having rejoined my old club and I have won eight matches to boot.
I'm currently leading in our club champs by the slender margin of one point .so angling wise it's been a good year ,the rest of it is pants.

and you took a quid off me on my home venue !!!