2020 - not quite as over as I’d thought (Neville Park, Snodland)

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Although there was a mass call to arms in work this morning I popped my kit into the car in a slim hope of even an hour - as it happened we were squared away by 10:30 & I was on the bank and set up by 11:00am.

Forecast was overcast and breezy - breezy is debatable as on occasion gale force felt more appropriate

1383071A-9DFF-48B3-9D7E-3F4650BAC10B.jpeg

My plan was to target the second bay along as close to the reeds as I dared with a Preston 15g dura banjo method feeder, QM1 size 16 4” hook length and 6mm bandum fluoro wafter.

Changed my feed a bit with just Fin Perfect 2mm stiki pellets soaked in Dynamite swim swim green betaine plus a sprinkling of fluoro rocks, no groundbait today.

610CC933-16D7-4C12-A8FD-EC452375BA4E.jpeg

First bite came on the third cast (10 mins between recasts) and something fast & big buried me straight in the reeds before severing my hooklength in the middle - bum :rolleyes:

Back out and a take 7 mins in for a tidy 2lb common, this was followed a couple of casts later by another a few ounces heavier but my next big bite was straight into the reeds again and the carp spat the hook.

Frustrating but straight back in as the skies darkened and the wind rose - the next bite I was onto like Usain Bolt out of the blocks to get in the sidestrain to turn it away from the reeds and I succeeded ! It stayed down a long time only surfacing in the seconds before I slipped the net under it with a big sigh of relief - a lovely hard fighting 6lb 11oz beauty.

8222B98C-C8A0-46D8-8873-12AF53DF072B.jpeg

Thought about another cast but the heavens opened with driving rain so I hastily packed away- when the rain stopped I did a little tree trimming to remove some small branches bedecked with snapped rigs, recovering 6 bombs, 2 maggot feeders, a method feeder and 3 floats - may never have to buy tackle again ;)

All in all a great end to a pooey week having had to self isolate 3 days waiting on a Covid test result for my little boy (thankfully negative) and with Tier 4 about to crash down on us who knows when I’ll get on the bank again.

Attachments

• C45EDA8E-D66D-4D95-87E2-17FB09E24AE9.jpeg
    C45EDA8E-D66D-4D95-87E2-17FB09E24AE9.jpeg
    535.5 KB · Views: 1

Nasha

Any new news on the proposed netting? Have the council been back in touch with you yet?

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Any new news on the proposed netting? Have the council been back in touch with you yet?

Tentatively I’d say good news - I attended a council meeting on 10th December where my letter of objection was read, breaking with protocol they discussed the matter in detail with me.

It’s accepted what I said is correct; they didn’t know about the huge membership fees & waiting lists on surrounding waters.

Since I’ve been fishing weekly and engaging with other anglers, plus the drop in temperature & rain, there has been a significant reduction in litter which had been noticed.

Covid has worked in our favour since the council is operating from home and has other far more pressing issues to deal with than the lake.

The upshot of all this is nothing will happen before March next year when the next meeting convenes & I have been asked if I would join a small group of people to further review ways of building on the new level of engagement not previously seen.
Not a resounding victory but a position that can be worked on and developed

Nasha

Fair play to ya, sounds like you're on the right path and its nice to hear that a council will listen to the locals and consider an alternative solution to a problem.

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Good to see you’re still catching OldTaff, especially as it was a bonus session as such.

rubbish news about Tier 4, hope you’re back out sooner rather than later 👍