2020 Holiday

Rickb

Gentlemen, some genuine help required please.
Me and The Mrs wont be going to Ireland next year so will be looking for a weeks fishing holiday in England, but heres the thing.
We don't want a commercial fishery type holiday but either on the River (any river considered for a weeks holiday) or a cabin, caravan, chalet etc on a natural lake.
any ideas?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
There's plenty of static caravan and chalet type thing sites on each of the Severn, Wye, Warwickshire Avon and a few other rivers depending on where you are looking to go? One the best I've been to is meadowbank on the Dorset stour in Christchurch as you've got the stretch on sites plus throop, the royalty and of course the sea just a couple miles away. Riverside on the Warwickshire Avon by Stratford is nice as well as are the various lodges on the Severn in barbel alley. The broads area is a very good suggestion though with just about any sort of accommodation available.

drw

Site Supporter
River Severn, plenty of different rentals plus lots to see and do when your not fishing, I would go to Bewdley

Chervil

Site Supporter
Whilst we haven't been for 3 years. We went every year for 10 years, unfortunately the owner became ill and sold it, so we moved on. I can recommend Leven Park Lakes. It is an old gravel pit, but as you can see from my pictures, looks far from it. There are only 3 cabins, we always had the bigger one, Swan, so that end of the lake is yours alone to fish.
DSCN0016.JPG DSCN0024.JPG DSCN0051.JPG DSCN0054.JPG

AlanH

Bywater Lake Newport Ease Yorkshire (where the M62 ends). One lodge with hot tub. 3 acre natural lake to yourself. It has a website. We go twice a year.

PAB

Site Supporter
Have a look at Maisies-Cottage-Horning on Facebook, right on the river super deals with day boats or row boats to hire daily local ideal for fishing the river especially for those Norfolk Pike.

Baldie

River Severn, plenty of different rentals plus lots to see and do when your not fishing, I would go to Bewdley
Was in a log cabin two years back in Bewdley, one of Jason Fords right on the river, Adam Sherriff in Bewdley tackle shop has his number

Simon R

Site Supporter
If you don't mind a trek up the A1 this place allows fishing from the veranda
ds%2F2019%2F05%2FBrompton-Lakes-site-map-3-300x214.jpg
Luxury Lakeside Lodges at Brompton Lakes, North Yorkshire
Brompton Lakes is a stunning collection of luxury lakeside 3-6 bedroom lodges in Yorkshire. Enjoy the unique design of this eco-friendly holiday retreat!
www.holidayathome.co.uk
www.holidayathome.co.uk

Brompton is between Catterick and Richmond in North Yorkshire
I consider the prices to be ludicrous but if they're within your budget I know the fishing's good

Simon

Rickb

Thanks gents il have a look at your suggestions in the next few days, been away for a week in whitby and in York for a couple of nights now.

Chervil

Site Supporter
Bywater Lake Newport Ease Yorkshire (where the M62 ends). One lodge with hot tub. 3 acre natural lake to yourself. It has a website. We go twice a year.
Alan, that looks nice. Been looking for a place in Yorkshire, since we stopped going to Leven. What's the fishing like, I'm not bothered about catching Carp and one from my wife. Does it have a washing machine?!

philb

Site Supporter
Account Locked
If you don't mind a trek up the A1 this place allows fishing from the veranda
ds%2F2019%2F05%2FBrompton-Lakes-site-map-3-300x214.jpg
Luxury Lakeside Lodges at Brompton Lakes, North Yorkshire
Brompton Lakes is a stunning collection of luxury lakeside 3-6 bedroom lodges in Yorkshire. Enjoy the unique design of this eco-friendly holiday retreat!
www.holidayathome.co.uk
www.holidayathome.co.uk

Brompton is between Catterick and Richmond in North Yorkshire
I consider the prices to be ludicrous but if they're within your budget I know the fishing's good

Simon

Hi Simon, their website says predation has led to dwindling stocks and they have ceased fishing. How recently did you fish it please?

Fishing: You are welcome to fish the lakes at Brompton Lakes at no extra cost, however the lakes have been subject to a number of issues including the influx of pond weed and arrival of predators such as cormorants and otters. With the stock levels of the lakes continuously reducing we have ceased fishing at Brompton Lakes.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Probably fifteen, maybe twenty years ago - when it was still a day-ticket water and before the lodges were built - after which fishing was only allowed for residents.

So reading the above it would seem the site owners have carried out zero maintenance and made no attempt to otter-proof the site or control the cormorants - and knowing the area the latter could have been done very, very easily for the price of a few cartridges on occasions when no residents are on site.

In actual fact the influx of pond weed (probably Canadian I would guess) will help to safeguard the remaining stocks. Neither otters nor cormorants (especially not the latter) particularly enjoy trying to catch fish from very weedy waters and will move on to find easier pickings. The otters will have originated from the River Swale which is only 50 yards away and (when the ponds were day-ticket) could be fished on the same permit.

Simon

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Whilst we haven't been for 3 years. We went every year for 10 years, unfortunately the owner became ill and sold it, so we moved on. I can recommend Leven Park Lakes. It is an old gravel pit, but as you can see from my pictures, looks far from it. There are only 3 cabins, we always had the bigger one, Swan, so that end of the lake is yours alone to fish.
DSCN0016.JPG DSCN0024.JPG DSCN0051.JPG DSCN0054.JPG
Looks lovely there Chervil.

Reuben

Site Supporter
Barmston Farm in Woodmansey is a nice spot too. Been there 3 or 4 times before we got the campervan . A mixture of large static caravans & cottages. The lake is now only for the use of guests. Great natural mixed fishery with all species. Nice village with a pub & restaurant but no shop but only 5mins from a large retail park & Beverly 5 mins the other way.
Often looked at Leven Park but never got round to it. Looks brilliant though.