20 years a "Drowner".

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well 20 years ago today I registered on a new fishing forum that had recently appeared on the new fangled World Wide Web, that wonderous source of information accessed by our first home PC purchased by the wife some 6 months previously, accessed by a dial up modem connected to a phone line. No Smartphones or tablets just a big clunky desktop PC with a tiny 14 inch monitor. No Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and their like, Social Media as such just didn't exist. MSN Messenger was how you chatted online.

I had tried a few Fishing forums initially but struggled to find one I felt comfy with and indeed a few vanished almost as soon as they appeared. However having met Dave and Trogg at ANother forum's Fish-in that Trogg had organised and had a chat with Dave about his fledgling forum I figured it was worth giving it a try. There were only about 30 members at that point but we all seemed to gel and have similar attitudes to our fishing and as they say "The rest is History". ;)

So now I look back with some degree of pride at having been actively involved with Maggotdrowning for those 20 years. I have been a Moderator and an Administrator for the vast majority of that time as a way of giving back something to the forum that's become a big part of my angling life over that period.

Most importantly though it means that through my involvement I've made some very good friends and sadly lost a few as well. I've visited venues all around the country and had the pleasure of fishing them in the company of numerous members, laughed and cried with them too and shared a few pints and tall tales after a days fishing along the way. Hopefully a few of my numerous posts might have helped and informed a few of you along the way although I'm sure that a few will also have annoyed and infuriated a few as well.

As to the future? hopefully I've got a good few more years ahead, venues to visit, fish to catch, laughs to be had with friends both old and new, not to forget "Nuggets" to be prised from Dave's vice like grip. 🤣 So Onwards and Upward. :upthumb:

mickthechippy

23/04/2008 - 25/12/2021
Site Supporter
In Memoriam
The Second drowner I ever met in real life

the first was Bag up, all those years ago on that fateful day at Hartlylands reservoir !

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I remember my first meeting with Trogg, Dave and Stu on a freezing weekend in December 2001 at Chebsey, Staffordshire. I joined the site once I got home to Wales.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Congratulations Peter on helping to make MD what it is, simply 'the' best fishing site bar none. Of course MD is a lot more than the sum of it's parts, so to speak and it's greatest achievement is in bringing like minded individuals together. I count myself fortunate, to have enjoyed meeting & fishing with so many fellow drowners, that without this site, just wouldn't have happened. Last year especially I think we all benefitted so much more from the site and the members to keep us going............yes @chefster even you. :D

Big thank you Peter for putting the time and effort in to the site and that goes for all involved past & present, :upthumb: :upthumb:

Total

Site Supporter
Congratulations Peter on helping to make MD what it is, simply 'the' best fishing site bar none. Of course MD is a lot more than the sum of it's parts, so to speak and it's greatest achievement is in bringing like minded individuals together. I count myself fortunate, to have enjoyed meeting & fishing with so many fellow drowners, that without this site, just wouldn't have happened. Last year especially I think we all benefitted so much more from the site and the members to keep us going............yes @chefster even you. :D

Big thank you Peter for putting the time and effort in to the site and that goes for all involved past & present, :upthumb: :upthumb:
Doesn't matter what you say Kev......It'll still cost ya tenner next year!;):ROFLMAO:

Trogg

the bouncer
Site Supporter
I remember my first meeting with Trogg, Dave and Stu on a freezing weekend in December 2001 at Chebsey, Staffordshire. I joined the site once I got home to Wales.
Just remind me mate.... what happened to those two big burly 'well 'ard' yorkshiremen that were at that fish-in??

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Wait until you see next years invoice!:oops:;)
A49F9EFD-22BD-4E8E-A472-188F1B5E1423.png

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter

Comments like that are one of the reasons I stopped coming on here scribe ,👍👍