20 M.P.H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluey

19/08/02 - 25/08/10
In Memoriam
How about THIS then your comments, opinions etc.

I think in certain parts of towns and cities yes it would be esential to bring it in, but what theyre planning is a blanket speed limit of 20mph. Can you imagine doing 20 on a dual carriageway ring road in a city?? somebody some where is going OTT, this is just one step away from having the man with the red flag in front of you.

If they want to be really safe why don't they ban all vehicles from every street in the towns and cities. That would cause a bit of a rumpus wouldn't it.[}:)][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

maximus

If it will save lives then it can't be a bad idea. Will people stick to the new 20mph limit though?
It wouldn't take that much longer to get through towns and like I said if there is a chance that it'll save lives then I'm for it. It isn't the more conscentious of us that break the limit though is it?

Bluey

19/08/02 - 25/08/10
In Memoriam
MMMMM about as much as they obey the ones in force now.

Thing is tho pelly can you see this working cus I can't not at rush hour anyway, there will be hordes of traffic coming in on the motorways and dual carriageways into the towns and cities at 60-70 and then be faced with slow moving traffic at 20 wow that will be a sight to see. This will bring in the sights you see on the open roads when there's an accident. With traffic backing up everywhere.

Anyway I'm an awkard old sod and would travell through the town at 20 just to p*ss everyone off and to prove that in certain circumstances it wont work.

In Northampton we were faced with such a problem on the length of the Wellingborough road and they wanted to slow the traffic down so the installed pelicon lights every 100 yards they closed the bus stops and made the buses stop in the road, now to cover that stretch of road in rushhour used to take about 20 minutes it can now take up to an hour[V] MMMMM damm good idea what?? Cuts down on pollution does it? my hairy left buttock it does.[V]

it wouldnt work cause they slow the cars down more pollution hows that going to help cars are running for longer

midge99

Next all cars will be banned and the only way to travel will be public transport

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Stop your moaning guys !

Just think of the revenue from the speeding fines...

And the benefit to those on whom that extra dosh is spent,

such as (over to you !) [:(][;)]

kleinboet

This is another kneejerk reaction, as was speed humps.
Try telling a council they have made a mistake and they will ignore it!
I showed them that fitting camera cases along a road and buying one camera that would always be in ONE of the cases, would work out cheaper, be more effective and virtually pay for itself! They still put "effective" speed humps in even though they have been proved to be "anti green".

bazw

ive driven a fare bit in the states where you get a 15 /25/35 and 55 limit

15 is round schools and hospitals
25 is general inner city
35 is suburbs
55 was freeway though some places allow faster now

15 is a killer as no one is thinking about how they drive
25 is ok you get used to it after a short while
35 feels right for most of the place and
55 is just to slow to keep you awake on a long drive
when you have a blanket 20 there are a few good points but two crazy ones

it is the most polluting speed you can drive at to slow for 3rd to fast for 2nd

and because the car is in a lower gear it will accelerate faster so those little slips we all can have when going for the brake will mean we run folks down easier

Terry D

The taxpayers can afford it!
You want to try living in Pompey. Most weekends are a bitch without the 20 limit.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Teaching cyclists and pedestrians a bit of road sense would help more than a 20mph limit would.
I reckon in about 95% of cases where somebody is knocked over by a car it isn't the car-drivers fault.

Bring back the Green Cross Code - teach people how to cross the road.
Introduce a compulsory cycling test.

If pedestrians and cyclists weren't somewhere they weren't supposed to be - ie the road - they wouldn't get hurt.

Simon

Bluey

19/08/02 - 25/08/10
In Memoriam
By Simon.
Teaching cyclists and pedestrians a bit of road sense would help more than a 20mph limit would.
I reckon in about 95% of cases where somebody is knocked over by a car it isn't the car-drivers fault.

Bring back the Green Cross Code - teach people how to cross the road.
Introduce a compulsory cycling test.

If pedestrians and cyclists weren't somewhere they weren't supposed to be - ie the road - they wouldn't get hurt.

I agree with you there Simon but in this modern day of "it's sombody elses fault not mine" attitude I think you on a loser there. It's quite common these days to see people cross the road without looking, usually at or near traffic lights, even on pelicon crossings and when you point out the error of their ways by sounding the horn you get a mouthfull of abuse.

Ruddy Roach

And with the stupid pedestrian issue...

All the time, I'll be in the car approaching a crossing and there'll be 1 or 2 school kids walking up the road. When they get there, and I'm about 10 feet away, they decide to walk across it!! With no acknowledgement at all to the driver.

Asking to get knocked down I say, but who would be at fault?? The driver or the person on the crossing??

hmmmmmmmm

When I cross, I always make sure I make eye contact and look as if I'm going to cross.

Larry

Lazarus
RuddyRoach it would be your because according to the highway code your supposed to approach pedestrian crossing's with caution, non of us do i now i don't.

methodgob

yoda
How can you say "stupid pedestrian" or "stupid cyclist"?I'm both and a driver too!(not stupid!but you now what I mean!)

Just because I'm not in my van and I've chosen to cycle...does that make me a "stupid cyclist" who shouldn't be on the road?
I very much hope not!![:(!]

Me and a mate went out on Tuesday for a fifty mile ride,in the space of the three hours we were out we had four near misses with vehicles......all of them because the drivers were useless!!
I'm only here to type this because I know how to read a road,drive and cycle.

Some folks have apptitude for things and others don't!!It's those that don't have the apptitude that cause accidents on foot,cycle,motorbike or car.

Status
Not open for further replies.