2 piece trotting rods

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Thanks for the info. Might go walk it over Christmas if it's not flooded to get the lay of the land.

I went to the college on ox pens road that has the castle mill stream flowing through it, used to get chub and barbel spawning up there in May and dace in March. Wasn't much in there the rest of the year save for chub and pockets of dace. Downstream of the bridge you'd see all sorts in it though. Never really occurred to me that it was folly that it went into but bit obvious now you mention it! Used to see people do well on roach and bream down there. I've not fished folly as its a bit of a sod for parking compared to medley, sandford, donnington etc.

Browner

If you can find a Drennan MatchPro Ultralite in 12ft it would be ideal. I have a pair and use them all the time for fishing the stick for chub and roach. Alternatively go with the Acolyte. A beautiful rod which is widely available and easy to get spares if needed.

Lucky Strike

Site Supporter
Thanks for all the recommendations. I’ve had a matchpro ultralight and sold it on. Whilst I felt it was a lovely balanced rod to trot with, it was useless at stopping any fish over 1lb. It just kept on bending and didn’t seem to have any backbone or torque at all.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Last fish I saw caught on a matchpro ultralight was a 4-5lb barbel. Was at about it’s limit but it got it in.

alsur

Site Supporter
I
Last fish I saw caught on a matchpro ultralight was a 4-5lb barbel. Was at about it’s limit but it got it in.
I'd agree that would be its limit, I've landed plenty of Chub up to 3lb a few Barbel and Tench to the same weight although I think it could handle bigger fish if you are regularly catching them it's not the rod to use. They do bend but so do lots of modern rods my Team Daiwa pellet wag does, but that suites my style of fishing as I use small hooks and light lines. If OP whats a new 2 piece with a bit of backbone I think he might struggle Acolyte plus might be OK but I've not tried one probably better to find older 3 piece or try a pellet waggler rod.

mbuna_matt

If you really want to stop a decent fish on float gear you can go to a purpose made carp floater rod, I have an old one somewhere which is great - 12' long and at nearly 2lb test curve it will stop most things. I just tweaked some of the rings to suit a centre pin.

richox12

Thanks for the info. Might go walk it over Christmas if it's not flooded to get the lay of the land.

I went to the college on ox pens road that has the castle mill stream flowing through it, used to get chub and barbel spawning up there in May and dace in March. Wasn't much in there the rest of the year save for chub and pockets of dace. Downstream of the bridge you'd see all sorts in it though. Never really occurred to me that it was folly that it went into but bit obvious now you mention it! Used to see people do well on roach and bream down there. I've not fished folly as its a bit of a sod for parking compared to medley, sandford, donnington etc.
Folly = very end of Whitehouse Road (comes out at the nature park by the fancy bridge opposite Castle stream) or end of Ferry Hinksey road off the Botley Road at end of industrial estate (same for Potts stream) and walk through the alley way and onto the river immediately below Osney lock.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Folly = very end of Whitehouse Road (comes out at the nature park by the fancy bridge opposite Castle stream) or end of Ferry Hinksey road off the Botley Road at end of industrial estate (same for Potts stream) and walk through the alley way and onto the river immediately below Osney lock.
Thanks will have a look. Do remember following some instructions to find parking before but there was effectively none when I got there lol. I will check yours on google maps 👍🏻

RMNDIL

Beat me to it. Rich is right. However, at end Whitehouse road is a school with a very large grass verge. Many park on that and avoid all of the double yellows. There are spaces along the road, maybe 10 or so, but can get used up especially on a sat with shoppers.

Rick123

Site Supporter
The Acolyte 12' Carp waggler rod, is certainly light enough to trot with all day, and has more oomph than the standard Ultra.
And it's a 2-piece.

Banksy have you got this rod? I wonder if this is why they don't make a Acolyte 11' plus, they make a 11' ultra, maybe thats the reason? How much more oomph doe sit have would you suggest 10%?

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Banksy have you got this rod? I wonder if this is why they don't make a Acolyte 11' plus, they make a 11' ultra, maybe thats the reason? How much more oomph doe sit have would you suggest 10%?
Effectively, they do make Acolyte Pluses in 12 and 11'. However, they are both called Acolyte Carp Wagglers.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Guys do you think the 11' Ultralight and the Acolyte ultra both 11', are on par with each-other, or is the Acolyte a bit faster. Sam?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Guys do you think the 11' Ultralight and the Acolyte ultra both 11', are on par with each-other, or is the Acolyte a bit faster. Sam?
Not sure about at 11ft but comparing the 2 at 13ft the acolyte is a little quicker/sharper with maybe a slightly lighter action although I never used them side by side so that’s just memory really.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter

As far as I'm concerned, the similarities end with the power of the rods. In that respect, they are very similar. The actions are quite different, the Acolyte being faster. The Acolyte is also lighter (weight). If you wanted to fish little but stillwaters and save a few quid, the Matchpro Ultralight may be a good option. If you aren't trotting far, or prefer a more through action, it may still be a good proposition. However, as far as I'm concerned, the Acolyte is the better rod, especially if small river/beck fishing or wading is high on the agenda.