2 piece trotting rods

Lucky Strike

Site Supporter
I’m looking for a 2 piece 12ft stick float rod that I can leave ready made up. This is for quick opportunist sessions on a local river. The river is small and overgrown so I’ve found that 12ft is better than 13ft.

I’ve considered the 12ft Drennan acolyte, the cadence no 1 and the garbolino 2 piece model but I’m not sure any of them will have a stiff enough action and fast enough strike to fish a stick float. Or sufficient backbone to subdue a bigger chub or trout.

I’m a big fan of full cork handles, I’m always put off by the sight of black foam. So far this narrows it down to the acolyte.
Can anyone recommend any other rods?

Thanks

Rick123

Site Supporter
Why so long? Have a look on You-tube (before you buy) and find "Fishingformemories" and see if the river is about the size Mark fishes? Mark uses a 10' two piece and trots his little rivers just fine. Mark has a TFG 10 Float rod. Then also watch an Angling Direct one and that guys uses a 10' too. At 12' you may as well get a 13' and have much more choice? 10/11 is ideal for small-medium rivers. What about a Acolyte 11' waggler? Just think before you jump, 12 is big for a small river in my view?

Lucky Strike

Site Supporter
Why so long? Have a look on You-tube (before you buy) and find "Fishingformemories" and see if the river is about the size Mark fishes? Mark uses a 10' two piece and trots his little rivers just fine. Mark has a TFG 10 Float rod. Then also watch an Angling Direct one and that guys uses a 10' too. At 12' you may as well get a 13' and have much more choice? 10/11 is ideal for small-medium rivers. What about a Acolyte 11' waggler? Just think before you jump, 12 is big for a small river in my view?
Thanks I’ll look at those links. 12ft allows me to avoid the overhanging branches yet still control a stick float well. I would consider a shorter rod but it needs to have a cork handle for me.

DFL

Site Supporter
Not a “trotting” rod and not 12ft but I’ve found this a great all purpose rod on my local stretch of river which is narrow and overgrown, landed many chub with it.

Lucky Strike

Site Supporter
Not a “trotting” rod and not 12ft but I’ve found this a great all purpose rod on my local stretch of river which is narrow and overgrown, landed many chub with it.

Thanks I’ll have a look. Best rod I’ve used so far on this river is an old 12ft spliced tip tricast tribune, lovely crisp action for a stick float. Just looking for something in 2 piece.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Acolytes are plenty fast enough for stick floats, they have a nice action to cover stick or waggler. I’d go for that or the garbolino ultralight. The latter does feel a bit more wagglery but for short range on a small river I’m sure it would be fine for the stick. Whether they have enough power depends on what you mean by bigger trout and chub. They’ll get a bit lively around the 4-5lb mark but you’ll be ok.

alsur

Site Supporter
I fish a similar river in fact I did yesterday, I use a 12ft matchpro ultralight I find 12ft ideal length although there are still some swims I struggle in the extra length over shorter rods is beneficial. I have 14ft acolyte and think 12 ft would be ideal. They are over 6ft when broken down so you will need a long rod holdall I use Drennan slimline but it could be better.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Personally I think you would be better off looking for unicorn poo than trying to find a 12ft 2 piece rod that can replicate the action of a good spliced tip rod. By the time ready rod bags and 2 piece rods had evolved most manufacturers had moved away from the soft tip/powerful mid section actions that a spliced tip typically gave and gone to a much more progressive type of action with a softer middle section this results in a much more forgiving action that some people like but you lose out on the initial speed of pick up and that little bit of stopping power found in the mid section, you have to load the blank much more to find that power in the more progressive actioned rods which gives larger fish that little extra time to get their act together. Yes there are 12ft 2 piece rods that would work to a degree but they would not replicate what you are used to as they tend to be more tailored to the commercial fisherman.
One that I think I would try to have a look at would be a Garbolino G. Max 11'6 light commercial waggler rod, I was looking for a light shorter rod and tried the usual suspects in Fosters before the were taken over and then the guy brought the Garbolino out and it was much crisper action and although a progressive action the power seemed to come in much higher up the blank but still retained a soft tip. I compared it to a Match pro, an Acolyte, a Milo prestige and a couple of Daiwa;s and the Garbolino was head and shoulders above the others, unfortunately they are discontinued and are pretty rare on the second hand market and when they do appear they command a good price and are snapped up. With that in mind I would suggest the Garbolino essential light may be worth a look along with maybe something like a Maver reactolite no1. But personally if you are used to the action of the Tri-cast and think it is the best rod for the job then I think I would live with the extra few minutes spent setting up the 3 piece rod

Rick123

Site Supporter
L.S. If as you suggested the river is small-medium you will still trot very well with a 10' and above rod. The trots will probably be no more than 20 yards, so a 10' 11' would be ideal. Please don't make the same mistake many of us do, or you will end up selling a 12' and buying shorter. The smaller rods are very light and accurate, don't forget accurate is the key for small swim. I'v just brought a 10' Browning micro F1 waggler because of all that being said. It will do my river fishing (small-medium) and on lakes with a waggler up to 20/25 yards. Take a look at my blog too and see my small local river and maybe the light bulb will come on. Best wishes. Richard. www.rivertrentangler.com

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Knowing the river might help as one persons small might be another's medium in terms of what length you can get away with. I'd personally only call a river small if it really is just a big stream. Only such place I fish is the Itchen navigation where I can reach the far bank with an underarm cast with an 11ft rod. Any bigger than that I use 13ft and tbh I would even there if I had the room. If the op has the room to deal with a 12 or even 13 foot rod then it's benefits over a short rod will outweigh the negatives.

Reuben

Site Supporter
Account Locked
There’s an Acolyte Ultra 11ft float rod on the ‘bay at the moment. Not seen one for ages. If I didn’t have the Matchpro Ultralight I’d be very interested in it.

alsur

Site Supporter
Knowing the river might help as one persons small might be another's medium in terms of what length you can get away with. I'd personally only call a river small if it really is just a big stream. Only such place I fish is the Itchen navigation where I can reach the far bank with an underarm cast with an 11ft rod. Any bigger than that I use 13ft and tbh I would even there if I had the room. If the op has the room to deal with a 12 or even 13 foot rod then it's benefits over a short rod will outweigh the negatives.
That's a good point the river I fish is 8 to 10m wide bit narrower than local canal and controlling float down far bank can be difficult in wider swims. The other thing is how overgrown is it I can get away with 12ft in most swims but there are a couple I can't ,if I got in water I could but I'm to old and my knees don't hold up well standing up all day.

I went from a spliced tip float rod to matchpro a couple of years ago and soon got used to it don't think it has cost me many fish although the fish I catch rarely go bigger than 3lb and they are a bonus. If you really want a 12ft float rod there are some good secondhand ones about and as said it doesn't take long to set up on day.

mbuna_matt

I regularly fish a river where I can touch the far bank with a 13' rod. My rods of choice are a pair of acolytes 11' ultra for dace / roach and the odd bigger chub, an 11' pellet waggler for swims with histories of big chub / barbel lurking in them....

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I regularly fish a river where I can touch the far bank with a 13' rod. My rods of choice are a pair of acolytes 11' ultra for dace / roach and the odd bigger chub, an 11' pellet waggler for swims with histories of big chub / barbel lurking in them....
Now that definitely is a small river!

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
The Acolyte 12' Carp waggler rod, is certainly light enough to trot with all day, and has more oomph than the standard Ultra.
And it's a 2-piece.

mbuna_matt

Back water on the river Colne, its incredible tight in places! Its a funny bit of water and holds some great fish on its day, I've hade chub to well over 5lb the odd good brownie and a double barbel. Just love these little waters as it takes me back to the gudgeon bashing I used to do 40 years ago!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Back water on the river Colne, its incredible tight in places! Its a funny bit of water and holds some great fish on its day, I've hade chub to well over 5lb the odd good brownie and a double barbel. Just love these little waters as it takes me back to the gudgeon bashing I used to do 40 years ago!
Sounds nice that. There's lots of little rivers around here but I've never tried any as access tends to be difficult and they are apparently shadows of their former selves so I tend to just stick to the Thames. Maybe one day I'll give a couple a go.

RMNDIL

Sounds nice that. There's lots of little rivers around here but I've never tried any as access tends to be difficult and they are apparently shadows of their former selves so I tend to just stick to the Thames. Maybe one day I'll give a couple a go.
What about Seacourt Stream, Potts stream or even the stream at the back of Red Bridge park & ride ?? There's also the offshoot of the Thames (comes off opposite the old lock keepers house at the very top of The Channel by the marina) at the bottom of Walton Well road which runs down, around and parallel to the end of the canal before it goes under Hythe Bridge street.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
What about Seacourt Stream, Potts stream or even the stream at the back of Red Bridge park & ride ?? There's also the offshoot of the Thames (comes off opposite the old lock keepers house at the very top of The Channel by the marina) at the bottom of Walton Well road which runs down, around and parallel to the end of the canal before it goes under Hythe Bridge street.
Have been tempted to fish the bit off the channel (think it's the start of castle mill stream) but not sure what the rights are to it? Presumably not odaa as never hear of anyone fishing it?

Have now as of this season got access to the iffley stream (the red bridge one) although I haven't fished it yet. Went to have a look a few weeks ago and it was barrelling through from taking the water off donnington. Wouldn't call that particularly small mind you it's fairly wide most places and even navigable down a bit of it. Does look like it would be nice with a bit less water on, a lot more space to get away from walkers and cyclists than donnington itself.

Access is a bit difficult or unclear to the rest of the castle mill, bullstake and sea court streams but would be up for giving them a go if I knew the ins and outs of them.

RMNDIL

Correct. Castle Mill Stream. Runs right down and under Oxpens Road and comes out in middle of Folly right next to the old fancy railway bridge. The bit adjacent to the end of the canal (and above the lock where the concrete 'sluice' is) used to be good for the odd tench & bream. In late May/early June the bream, chub and tench & carp spawn in the upper part of it and also in it's own mini offshoot which runs along behind you on the Channel itself. Park in Abbey Road then walk back through Dogshite alley and up to Tumbling Bay opposite the old open air bathing place. Then turn right and go under the railway (which is where the Channel stream comes out).