1st session... meh...

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
I got my truck loaded with all my gear pretty early last night as, I knew the thought of having to do it this morning would have resulted in me turning over in bed! My plan worked. I was up showered and on the road for 6:15am.

I decided I would fish Manley old hall fishery as it accommodates parking close to most of the pegs. It would save me having to barrow all my gear to the pond. (I don't travel light).
Screenshot_20220323-175548_Gallery.jpg

I had a look and decided to fish the furthest of the three ponds. I wasn't overly concerned with what I would catch. It was more about ironing out any noob mistakes. I will never judge @Zerkalo again as It took my about 30 minutes to get all the accessories on my chair and get it level (ish) 😳 and by the way zerkalo... the amazon float stops worked just as good as branded. ( I found out after a tangle/ re-set 🙄).

I balled in a few golf ball sized balls of gb and let it settle while I set up my rod. 4lb line, small crystal float with 2bb and a n⁰6 down to a size 16 spade on 2lb hooklength.

Fishing 4" or so over depth I fed a few maggots over the gb and two on the hook. Every cast gave me a small roach or gudgeon.
20220323_141212.jpg

20220323_084450.jpg

Worm went on next as I wanted to see if anything else was around. This brought dozens of fat little perch. Lots of them looked to be full of eggs.
20220323_103316.jpg

Vanilla corn went on next as I wanted to see if anything slightly bigger would come along. This gave me bigger roach ( maybe pushing 1lb) but not as often as the little ones on maggot.
Screenshot_20220323-192723_Gallery.jpg

The last bait I tried I was most interested in. Expanders. I have never had much confidence in pellets as hookbaits until today. I had prepared two little pots. One flavoured with tiger nut oil the other tutti frutti. 4mm fished over a few more gb balls gave me skimmers a plenty.
Screenshot_20220323-193318_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220323-193445_Gallery.jpg

I enjoy the day but will be looking to fish somewhere with a few larger fish now that my noob errors have been ironed out.

Until I set up my feeder rod and a whole new set of f-ups will arise... 😃
Screenshot_20220323-193926_Gallery.jpg

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
Is that the place near Frodsham? I'd still like to try Lloyds Meadow which is just down the road.
Yes it is. I fished Lloyd a fair bit as a kid and it was good. I went for a look the other day and was a bit put off. Some of the signs on the notice board were not very welcoming. ☹

chris1967

Really Really
Site Supporter
Good stuff bud ,dont think i'd have picked that peg myself i'd have gone other bank facing gaps in islands

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
Good stuff bud ,dont think i'd have picked that peg myself i'd have gone other bank facing gaps in islands
I wasn't fishing to the one island I had 😆. Just Practicing sinking my line, shooting, different hooklengths etc....

I'm used to carp fishing
I haven't float fished properly in 20 or so years. I was just after getting a feel for my setup. 😁

I don't need two islands to give me tangles. I managed that myself! 😄

SeanB

Site Supporter
Sounds like you had a good time mate, any session where you catch a near 1lb roach is a good one in my book.
Expanders are a great bait and will catch pretty much everything although sometimes the fish can show a preference for one size or brand. I usually take a mixture of size, flavour and brands-they are cheap enough to do this and any left overs can be frozen.

chris1967

Really Really
Site Supporter
I wasn't fishing to the one island I had 😆. Just Practicing sinking my line, shooting, different hooklengths etc....

I'm used to carp fishing
I haven't float fished properly in 20 or so years. I was just after getting a feel for my setup. 😁

I don't need two islands to give me tangles. I managed that myself! 😄
so long as you're out dangling nothing else matters(y)

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
What happened to the suicidal carp in there ,?
It looks as if the place has had a tidy up since I last visited the place .
Well done on a good day fishing and a good report and pics 🙂

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
What happened to the suicidal carp in there ,?
It looks as if the place has had a tidy up since I last visited the place .
Well done on a good day fishing and a good report and pics 🙂
The pond I fished is the newest one. Not sure what's in it. If I wanted suicidal carp and a snapped float rod I would have went catrough 😄

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
They are probably all small if you are used to carping but fishing for silvers is about the quality of the fish and those are all beautiful. A one pound roach is quite a catch as well, I’d be very happy with that. Sounds like an excellent day to me.

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
Black Poplar on there has suicidal carp in it , they go for a bare hook .😃
They have a dirty scarecrow at each pond. I had the pond to myself all day but if you look at the photo it looks like somebody is sat up the other end. They are all dressed as workmen as well? 😬

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Sounds like you enjoyed yourself mate, therefore, job done👍. I just have 2 questions…….why have a shower BEFORE you go fishing? Anymore of that and you will have your man card revoked. The second question is, why o why did you filter out the missus in the bath🤪, do you not love your brother drowners?😜😜😜

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
They have a dirty scarecrow at each pond. I had the pond to myself all day but if you look at the photo it looks like somebody is sat up the other end. They are all dressed as workmen as well? 😬
Are you sure they were scarecrows mate? Sparkies stand still like that for very long periods😜😜😜

qtaran111

Site Supporter
Yeah that seems quite common at fisheries these days. Not sure if it’s meant to scare birds, poachers or the anglers. Here’s one from a lake I fish, complete with fake shotgun lol
BCA5901B-B2F2-4400-A682-4E7CB457BE96.jpeg