1st river session

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally decided to have a go at fishing a river for the 1st time yesterday evening. Went down to the Irwell in Broughton (the Bury New Rd side) set up on maggot feeder with double maggot on a size 16 hook and didn't get a bite. There was a LOT of weed which no matter where i cast i seemed to get tangled in. Then decided to give it a go on stick float, which i struggled with to be honest, i couldn't get the hang of slowing the float down enough and it seemed to be running through the area i'd been feeding very quickly. At about 20:45 i decided to change to waggler, something i would be a bit more used to in an attempt to save a blank......and it worked[:T]! 2 of the smallest chub i have ever seen but still my first river fish so it has definitely whet my appetite to go back and try some more swims.

Anyone with any tips for river noob will be appreciated!!!!

Ricky24

Rich
Keep working hard to learn new things. DVD's help a lot with fishing rivers. To give you tips on anything Rivers I could be here all day, if you are learning from scratch get some DVD's and Books which will be invaluable to you on river fishing. River fishing is a minefield mate. Well done on your catch though mate. Good luck in the future.

codenamemilo

if theres a poundland near you they often stock some of the masters of coarse titles. (yes, you guessed it, they are 1 each). Theres one with Dave Harrel fishing the stick and also feeder on rivers that might be of some help.

Ivan heaphurst

Keep at it, river fishing is by far the most satisfying area of our sport.
Good luck, it will come and when it does you will not want to fish elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.