1st quarter review

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I reckon I'm going to go to Calf Heath reservoir as a replacement for Earlswood, which I'm pretty gutted about being drained as that's going on till November at least by the sounds of it.

bluemack

Site Supporter
Now that we're almost already a quarter of the way through the year, how has your fishing been so far?

Mine has been pretty dreadful.

- Out of 5 sessions on the local river I had one small Barbel and 4 blanks, there just wasn't any fish resident.
- One day fishing Bread on a swollen river Severn caught me one Chub, was actually pleased with this as it was a new approach and will work better in better conditions.
- Two days at a local commercial results in 16 fish in total. I doubt I will be going back there much as it's busy enough at this time of year.

So all in all pretty bad start to the year and unless the weather picks up I can't see the planned Bream sessions at Earlswood I have with my dad will be any more productive. It's not really the best time of year for me, made even worse by lockdown restrictions, it's as though I've forgot how to catch fish as at the moment I'm not optimistic about Tench and Bream until it's properly warm, can see me having a few more difficult sessions first. 😁
Hi matey,i walked round Earlswood today............don,t know if you are aware but ALL the pools have been drained to an extent, Engine almost totally
drained,windmill half drained,and Terrys syndicate pool 3 quarters drained.
Someone was fishing the windmill lake but don,t know if they were catching.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Hi matey,i walked round Earlswood today............don,t know if you are aware but ALL the pools have been drained to an extent, Engine almost totally
drained,windmill half drained,and Terrys syndicate pool 3 quarters drained.
Someone was fishing the windmill lake but don,t know if they were catching.
Just heard about it mate. Bit disappointing really. :(

ATTICUS FINCH

I have wet a line twice so far this year . Both on the same club venue , decent days with plenty of roach and a couple of decent perch . My season really kicks off on the 4th April with my first match.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
It’s my first 1st quarter since returning to fishing - the 2 sessions with my boy were resounding failures, 5yr olds can’t take the cold :rolleyes: :LOL:

The super productive local carp puddle is still flooded and will be for a month or two yet judging by the walk around I did Thursday.

My two solo sessions on a different local lake resulted in a couple of small tench (yippee), then a couple of small carp despite targeting tench again.

The local commercials are all due to open soon so hopefully things will pick up as we get some decent bank time and maybe a few fish if I can work out how to actually fish a commercial :ROFLMAO:

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
I had a great session yesterday at another local venue that I've never fished, Summerhayes Fishery. Although I tend to avoid snake lakes I really enjoyed it catching a few across on hemp and meat before switching to pellet at 6m catching a few on the drop and on the deck before going under the next pallet where there I caught very well. Nothing big most fish between 4 and 6lbs with a few bigger and smaller ones. Everything I tried worked so a really nice session where everything is coming together nicely.

Other sessions at Viaduct have gone well for both silvers and carp, can't wait for Friday to comer around with a weeks holiday and matches booked for Viaduct and Todber Manor all of which are sold out.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Well the first quarter ended well yesterday with a load of good sized perch between 3 of us on the canal. Quite tempted to start the second quarter after them as well as should think come the 12th the canal will be like a motorway of boats again so now or never really.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Well the first quarter ended well yesterday with a load of good sized perch between 3 of us on the canal. Quite tempted to start the second quarter after them as well as should think come the 12th the canal will be like a motorway of boats again so now or never really.
I read your report mate. That's a cracking day! Really good stamp of Perch by the sounds of it.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I read your report mate. That's a cracking day! Really good stamp of Perch by the sounds of it.
Yeah took a bit of work as they were quite finicky but we certainly had plenty of nice ones between us. It’s quite simple fishing when the silvers are off due to the cold as you don’t have to worry about trying to be selective bait wise instead you just have to change the presentation a bit.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yeah took a bit of work as they were quite finicky but we certainly had plenty of nice ones between us. It’s quite simple fishing when the silvers are off due to the cold as you don’t have to worry about trying to be selective bait wise instead you just have to change the presentation a bit.
I think I might give the local Staffs/Worcs canal a go this week. I don't expect much from it to be honest but hopefully a few Perch will show. Will be pinkie and big maggot, and you never know because I had my first canal Chub from there, but it is mostly Perch of a bit smaller stamp than what you managed.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I think I might give the local Staffs/Worcs canal a go this week. I don't expect much from it to be honest but hopefully a few Perch will show. Will be pinkie and big maggot, and you never know because I had my first canal Chub from there, but it is mostly Perch of a bit smaller stamp than what you managed.
Tbh with the weather forecast the next 3 days I should think a lot of places will fish really well come Tuesday/Wednesday when the water will have warmed. Plummeting again for the weekend typically haha