1st Evening Match of the Summer

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I know Summer is just around the corner when the evening series starts on Wellingborough's snake lake at Ringstead. Sadly only nine turned up for this first match but that meant we all had a spare peg each side. I drew 4, a short walk from the car park.

On getting to the peg my attention was immediately drawn to the left hand margin that had a bed of rushes at right angles to the bank at just over topkit distance. I admit I have fished the lake a lot and so should be an "expert" but often I am fishing it for pleasure and not actually looking for the best weight. I enjoy fishing for the silvers, of which there are pklenty, and treating any carp that come along as a bonus. My last two outings on the lake were on pegs 21 & 22. That area fishes differently to the end I had drawn due, I believe, to it being shallower by perhaps a foot, possibly more silty and also suffering from not seeing much sun in the Winter. However on those two days I had found that two lines were the most productive - the margins and down the margin slope at 3ft deep. I had therefore decided to fish these two lines in the match.

As people know I do not enjoy fishing a long pole. But my experience of this lake is that you do not have to in order to enjoy a productive day's fishing. I have also noticed in the years I have fished the evening matches that the fish on the far bank margin can back off after two or three have been caught. So often I have seen long pole anglers get an early few fish and then the line dries for the rest of the match. For this reason I always start the match on a feeder across. If it works it can produce for much longer than fishing a pole to the same spot. In my pleasure sessions a Banjo feeder with 6mm pellet has worked well and so that is what I started on.

Rigs were made up for the margin and 3ft deep line though on plumbing up the profile of the slope both sides was not right. However I stubbornly persisted with my plan.

Feeder was cast at the start and then almost immediately my phone rang. A call I had to take as it was from my niece. She was calling to let me nkow that my brother, who next week is having heart bypass surgery, was not coping well with the thought of the operation. Because of this I left the feeder out a bit longer than I would normally and so lost some time. Eventually without a bite and the phone call ended I retrieved the feeder and tried the 3ft deep line. Despite a couple of knocks it produced nothing on pellet or corn. The margins similarly showed no signs of life. I put the feeder out again with around 45 minutes of the three hours gone and then considered my options. Meanwhile peg 2, Nick, to my left had landed two carp and lost one.

I decided I needed an extra rig to fish at the bottom of the margin slope. Another line that has worked well for me. So I made up the fresh rig, retrieved the fgeeder and plumbed up at topkit +2 to my right and also straight in front at just over topkit +1. That may seem too close but again has worked on pleasure sessions.

The new spots were fed with a mixture of micros & 4mils and I tried the 3ft line for five minutes (I use a kitchen timer to discipline myself not to give up too quickly or percevier too long). Nothing on that line so I tried the deeper line just off the end of my keepnets. Within 30 seconds I was playing and landing a fish of 4-5lb. I re-fed the spot and tried the spot to the right. A few knocks but no bites. Back to straight in front and after a couple of minutes a minute bite saw me hopopk a very decent fish for the lake. Eventually netted it was a carp of around 10lb. And that on an 18 B9112 to 0.13 Reflo hiooklength. These two fish probably brought me close to Nick's weight as he norw had three or four carp.

The spot in front then produced two skimmers and a crucian but sadly no more carp. I had been trying the left margin occasionally with no sign of fish and so with an hour to go dumped a full 200mil of micros and some corn next to the rushes then left it for ten minutes as I tried the spots at the bottom of the slope. I had given up on the 3ft line by now.

Dropping the rig into the left margin, corn on the hook, I had just got comfortable when the float disappeared and I had my third carp, this around 5lb. The rest of the match I alternated between margin and in front andf had two more 5lb fish from the margin. Nick by the end had nine or ten smaller carp.

Reports from anglers who did not werigh and had packed up were that end peg, 18 had "emptied it". I was therefore suprised when the scales arrived to be told he had weight 32-4. I was hopefull my five carp and three silvers were around the 32 mark. They were, 32 dead! Beaten by 4oz. Nick weighed 39lb for the win and with nine fishing, top two paid out I missed a =n envelope by 4oz. The thing was that the guy on peg 18, Jason, is a club mate who two weeks previously had beaten me into third place on a club match by 1lb 2oz.

A pleasant evening's fishing but a frustrating result. Should I have dumped more bait in the margin earlier? Should I have binned the 3ft line on plumbing up and opted for the bottom of the slope as an alternative from the start? Such decisions are what makes fishing fascinating. But at least my short pole tactics were proved to be just about as effexctive as fishing 14m.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Great write up Neil - looks like you did everything you could to generate bites but getting edged out of the brown envelopes by 4oz is a bitter pill to swallow.

One of the things that makes me love match fishing so much is because it can be so utterly vexing. What bait, what line, how long do I persevere, when to fish where, bomb, feeder, pole, waggler, grenades ? ? ?

So many questions all with the added pressure of time constraints and seeing other anglers banking fish around you.

It either drives you mad or makes you hungry for more - hope I can get back into the madness one day because I used to love it and it most definitely sounds like you do too.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I know Summer is just around the corner when the evening series starts on Wellingborough's snake lake at Ringstead. Sadly only nine turned up for this first match but that meant we all had a spare peg each side. I drew 4, a short walk from the car park.

On getting to the peg my attention was immediately drawn to the left hand margin that had a bed of rushes at right angles to the bank at just over topkit distance. I admit I have fished the lake a lot and so should be an "expert" but often I am fishing it for pleasure and not actually looking for the best weight. I enjoy fishing for the silvers, of which there are pklenty, and treating any carp that come along as a bonus. My last two outings on the lake were on pegs 21 & 22. That area fishes differently to the end I had drawn due, I believe, to it being shallower by perhaps a foot, possibly more silty and also suffering from not seeing much sun in the Winter. However on those two days I had found that two lines were the most productive - the margins and down the margin slope at 3ft deep. I had therefore decided to fish these two lines in the match.

As people know I do not enjoy fishing a long pole. But my experience of this lake is that you do not have to in order to enjoy a productive day's fishing. I have also noticed in the years I have fished the evening matches that the fish on the far bank margin can back off after two or three have been caught. So often I have seen long pole anglers get an early few fish and then the line dries for the rest of the match. For this reason I always start the match on a feeder across. If it works it can produce for much longer than fishing a pole to the same spot. In my pleasure sessions a Banjo feeder with 6mm pellet has worked well and so that is what I started on.

Rigs were made up for the margin and 3ft deep line though on plumbing up the profile of the slope both sides was not right. However I stubbornly persisted with my plan.

Feeder was cast at the start and then almost immediately my phone rang. A call I had to take as it was from my niece. She was calling to let me nkow that my brother, who next week is having heart bypass surgery, was not coping well with the thought of the operation. Because of this I left the feeder out a bit longer than I would normally and so lost some time. Eventually without a bite and the phone call ended I retrieved the feeder and tried the 3ft deep line. Despite a couple of knocks it produced nothing on pellet or corn. The margins similarly showed no signs of life. I put the feeder out again with around 45 minutes of the three hours gone and then considered my options. Meanwhile peg 2, Nick, to my left had landed two carp and lost one.

I decided I needed an extra rig to fish at the bottom of the margin slope. Another line that has worked well for me. So I made up the fresh rig, retrieved the fgeeder and plumbed up at topkit +2 to my right and also straight in front at just over topkit +1. That may seem too close but again has worked on pleasure sessions.

The new spots were fed with a mixture of micros & 4mils and I tried the 3ft line for five minutes (I use a kitchen timer to discipline myself not to give up too quickly or percevier too long). Nothing on that line so I tried the deeper line just off the end of my keepnets. Within 30 seconds I was playing and landing a fish of 4-5lb. I re-fed the spot and tried the spot to the right. A few knocks but no bites. Back to straight in front and after a couple of minutes a minute bite saw me hopopk a very decent fish for the lake. Eventually netted it was a carp of around 10lb. And that on an 18 B9112 to 0.13 Reflo hiooklength. These two fish probably brought me close to Nick's weight as he norw had three or four carp.

The spot in front then produced two skimmers and a crucian but sadly no more carp. I had been trying the left margin occasionally with no sign of fish and so with an hour to go dumped a full 200mil of micros and some corn next to the rushes then left it for ten minutes as I tried the spots at the bottom of the slope. I had given up on the 3ft line by now.

Dropping the rig into the left margin, corn on the hook, I had just got comfortable when the float disappeared and I had my third carp, this around 5lb. The rest of the match I alternated between margin and in front andf had two more 5lb fish from the margin. Nick by the end had nine or ten smaller carp.

Reports from anglers who did not werigh and had packed up were that end peg, 18 had "emptied it". I was therefore suprised when the scales arrived to be told he had weight 32-4. I was hopefull my five carp and three silvers were around the 32 mark. They were, 32 dead! Beaten by 4oz. Nick weighed 39lb for the win and with nine fishing, top two paid out I missed a =n envelope by 4oz. The thing was that the guy on peg 18, Jason, is a club mate who two weeks previously had beaten me into third place on a club match by 1lb 2oz.

A pleasant evening's fishing but a frustrating result. Should I have dumped more bait in the margin earlier? Should I have binned the 3ft line on plumbing up and opted for the bottom of the slope as an alternative from the start? Such decisions are what makes fishing fascinating. But at least my short pole tactics were proved to be just about as effexctive as fishing 14m.
Nice writeup Neil ,its hard to say whether to add more bait ,sometimes a throw away swim to try helps .

rd350lc

Well done Neil , they are very good weights .
Would think it's down to more space ? May join you next week .

TRFC2000

Site Supporter
Thank u for the write up Neil gives me more of an insight into match fishing will dip my toe into it soon i think 🤔 not sure if it will be fun or agony but would be nice to see how i compare to other anglers 👍😉