18v Makita drill keyless chuck jammed

Swim Jim

Formerly: jjpendurocomp
Site Supporter
Just used a 12mm twist drill in the chuck and it’s jammed shut on the drill. Normally it will slacken off with just a firm hand grip in reverse. Had it in the vice with a pair of pump pliers on it still won’t budge. Any ideas chaps

Swim Jim

Site Supporter
Great minds think alike gave it a good dousing before, will leave it an hour or two (y)

Gwillim

Bit long winded so you might want to forward it a bit but basically soak in WD40 tap the chuck with a hammer and then the prongs that hold the drill bit in place and it should release it

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
an under 30yr old would dump it and buy a new one
30-50 would try to fix it
45-60 would seek help on how to fix it
60-75 ask their son or son in law to look at it
75+ Would be concusses and talk about it for several months until someone offered to look at it. By the time it’s fixed he’d have forgot what job he was on.
So slim Jim are you 45-60?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
When you had it in the vice were you turning the chuck the right way? Sounds daft but I've seen it happen when people have been trying to undo it but instead are tightening it further.

If all else fails, smack it several times around the chuck with a hammer

Swim Jim

Site Supporter
Haven’t yet Brian that’s probably plan D
Dry Nets you are freakishly spot on ?
Definitely turning out the right way Dave. I double checked before I started
I’ve been busy this evening so that Wd40 will of had a good soak in I’ll give it a whirl tomorrow.
Gwillim I’ll give that film a gander

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
And if everything else fails, it'll make a good keepnet weight.

Swim Jim

Site Supporter
Yes indeed. A combination of Wd40 tactical force administered by a hammer, twisting turning and pulling plus a little Devine intervention it came out!!! Must admit was worried about the condition of the chuck and drive shaft, but with all that Wd40 it may be better than before :D:D:D many thanks all(y)