17ft float rods

stickfloatkev

stickfloatkev
hi everyone . can anyone offer any advice on 17foot float rods at all. ive got the acolyte but im looking to buy a 17ft with a bit more strength in the middle section for chub etc. been thinking about the tricast trilogy or maybe the daiwa connoissuer. thanks in advance

Flathead

Site Supporter
I have the Tricast John Allerton 17ft. premier rod.....it has a spliced tip.

I mainly fish on the fens but it would handle chub easily enough and is pretty well balanced and easy to use.

I also have the 15 ft version which I use as a general float rod in shallower water.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
As a long term user of long rods, I'd suggest that you should not buy blind. Once you get to 15' minor changes in weight and/or balance become far more significant than they are in 13/14' rods. The longer the rod, the worse this will be. I'd also suggest that you are very unlikely to find any other 17' rod close to the weight and balance of the 17' Acolyte.

Have you actually had issues with larger fish on the 17' Acolyte? I ask because I had similar doubts until I actually caught a few good chub, tench and trout on it. It still wouldn't be my first choice when deliberately chasing bigger fish, but I'm no longer concerned about the prospect of hooking them.

squimp

Site Supporter
Find an old Tricast Triaxial. But they are pretty uncommon.

Designed as a long power float rod, but with a spliced tip.

As Sam says, heavier than anAcolyte equivalent - but purpose designed for bigger fish.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I have a 16' Shakespeare Agility 2 at the moment (broke my LXL Superteam in storage and it's on my to do list to replace the section). It's my Chub rod. Nothing like an Acolyte in terms of balance, weight or finish though, quite a cheap rod... sure you'll find better so wouldn't recommend it unless you handled it and thought it would do the job for the price.

stickfloatkev

stickfloatkev
I have a 16' Shakespeare Agility 2 at the moment (broke my LXL Superteam in storage and it's on my to do list to replace the section). It's my Chub rod. Nothing like an Acolyte in terms of balance, weight or finish though, quite a cheap rod... sure you'll find better so wouldn't recommend it unless you handled it and thought it would do the job for the price.
ive heard great reports about the agility 2 rods . fantastic value for money

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
ive heard great reports about the agility 2 rods . fantastic value for money
I like it as a rod and it's the rod I will use but it is heavy and nothing like an Acolyte so I don't like to recommend buying it blind. Good offer on them at Bobco at the moment. 😁 Hope you're well mate.

fredradac

Site Supporter
I have the Tricast John Allerton 17ft. premier rod.....it has a spliced tip.

I mainly fish on the fens but it would handle chub easily enough and is pretty well balanced and easy to use.

I also have the 15 ft version which I use as a general float rod in shallower water.
love my John allerton 17ft

nejohn

Site Supporter
I would just echo what others are saying in that you should never buy a 15ft+ rod blind as all of the little faults of a 13ft version a magnified many fold the longer the rod. You have had some good suggestions I would recommend you try them all before you buy. Maybe another one to consider though a foot shorter could be the 16ft Maver Signature Pro

biggsy

I've got a Daiwa S Euromatch TD-SM1720 17/20ft and the difference in weight between my 13ft Connoisseur is a major problem
for me, I like to trot the old stick float on rivers and find that the big rod after a few hours becomes far too heavy.

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
i bought the 15ft agility 2 rod last year is heavier and stiffer then my 14ft acolyte rod also bought a 17ft/20ft connoisseur for fishing damflask which is deep and steep sided in parts not keen on it seems heavy and not keen on the feel of it
the agility is what i use if pike may be around so if it breaks not the end of the world

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
My Tricast Trilogy 17ft rod has been pretty good so far.
I’ve got the 14’ versions, both the X and the XS. I was actually pleasantly surprised how forgiving the X is. The XS has a lot more backbone and would be the one I would use on a chub peg. I haven’t seen the 17’ model but it is also an X. I’m not sure how it compares to an Acolyte In terms of power.

I have the older 15 and 18’ versions of the Allerton, which I would describe as ‘normal’ stick float rods. I also have a 13-15’ Triaxial which is a more powerful. Again I haven’t seen the 15-17‘ so I can’t comment on that one.

stickfloatkev

stickfloatkev
I’ve got the 14’ versions, both the X and the XS. I was actually pleasantly surprised how forgiving the X is. The XS has a lot more backbone and would be the one I would use on a chub peg. I haven’t seen the 17’ model but it is also an X. I’m not sure how it compares to an Acolyte In terms of power.

I have the older 15 and 18’ versions of the Allerton, which I would describe as ‘normal’ stick float rods. I also have a 13-15’ Triaxial which is a more powerful. Again I haven’t seen the 15-17‘ so I can’t comment on that one.
thanks for that info peartree. really useful. you sound like a proper tri cast fan lol

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
I‘ve been an fan since they first came out, both rods and poles. I fished with Stevie M and Vinnie at Tricast Highfield for a couple of seasons many years ago but got no benefit from the sponsorship as all my gear was already Tricast :ROFLMAO:

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter

I have a 15 foot Acolyte plus, I would say the 17ft Trilogy X has just a little bit more grunt than the Acolyte. Without being too powerful for roach, dace etc.