16 metres plus Poles ???

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
As far as your seat being to high for the van lid/cover could you disassemble seat from frame fit some threaded bar to seat drill holes in the frame and get some large wing nuts that way you could take seat off ..I'd use stainless steel ...

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
whatever happened to the helium filled ones... I could use one o they at 40mts.... sell me bomb/waggler rods and just use the pole;) :p :ROFLMAO: :cool:

robert d

Site Supporter
whatever happened to the helium filled ones... I could use one o they at 40mts.... sell me bomb/waggler rods and just use the pole;) :p :ROFLMAO: :cool:
Instead of feeders up in the trees wed have pole floats lol

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
You can get away with one roller you can have your pole sections in 2 pieces 3 sets or 4 sets of 2 on one double roller sitting in your double pole net or preferred way of holding them . I was watching Will Raison using this method only yesterday when fishing for lumps in the margin . His thoughts were if he catches a real lump it would be easier if they were assembled in 2 sections rather than trying to assemble his top 4 or 5 onto the rest if the pole in one long length. He was fishing short but wanted to be ready as some of the fish were munsters lol.. on most occasions 2 rollers is without doubt much safer
absolutely - have to do the same when there is a wall behind you on a canal, for example
It's definitely more awkward than a two roller setup across an unobstructed bank!

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
On the strips at Decoy the maximum allowed is 14.5 metres, and although I have a bad back, and you have to break the pole down there, I have no trouble in reasonable conditions. Indeed in Winter I would expect to start at 13 or 14.5 metres. That puts you in open water.

I'll use the 16 metre section only to reach an island or the far bank or some other feature. Once again I have no trouble with my back, and can't understand why others do (though I have to do it slowly and carefully). It's my arms that take the strain. Like robertd I have the extending Octbox footplate, which certainly gives me an advantage over anglers without one.

Having said that, I prefer to fish at 11 metres if I can catch there. I can't live with people like Jon Whincup and Chris Barley at Decoy fishing shallow at 16 metres - they can wield a 16-metre pole like a conductor's baton.

robert d

Site Supporter
On the strips at Decoy the maximum allowed is 14.5 metres, and although I have a bad back, and you have to break the pole down there, I have no trouble in reasonable conditions. Indeed in Winter I would expect to start at 13 or 14.5 metres. That puts you in open water.

I'll use the 16 metre section only to reach an island or the far bank or some other feature. Once again I have no trouble with my back, and can't understand why others do (though I have to do it slowly and carefully). It's my arms that take the strain. Like robertd I have the extending Octbox footplate, which certainly gives me an advantage over anglers without one.

Having said that, I prefer to fish at 11 metres if I can catch there. I can't live with people like Jon Whincup and Chris Barley at Decoy fishing shallow at 16 metres - they can wield a 16-metre pole like a conductor's baton.
I'd like my footplate and spray bar to extend 10m and automatically return automatically when I strike lol ...push a button it extends ...might patent it lol

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter

And yet I have witnessed Jon Whincup win a match midwinter fishing the margins. He told me how and the method helped me to get decent section points two weeks later in our pairs Winter league. Sorry but that is one secret I will keep to myself.

robert d

Site Supporter
And yet I have witnessed Jon Whincup win a match midwinter fishing the margins. He told me how and the method helped me to get decent section points two weeks later in our pairs Winter league. Sorry but that is one secret I will keep to myself.
Cant you whisper it

rudd

Site Supporter
I once tried to fish my pole at 16m.
After ten minutes shouted for help, arms numb , top three submerged taking on water and was getting pulled off box.
First angler held me on box, second walked pole up bank, eventually swung in a 2oz roach ?

Brian Lody

Site Supporter
I tried my new pole at 16m on Friday, Sensas 855
Felt really heavy, very uncomfortable.
I admit to having never used a pole at that length before so it could be normal and something practice will make easier.
Seeing the float tip is another thing, i think i would need a lighthouse or an overshotted self hooking rig.

When i was shipping back an F1 grabbed the bait about 8ft from the bank. Oh got any mates there ?
Spent the rest of the day fishing 9 o'clock 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock with just the top kit, Great days fishing.

I digress, am going out again this morning and will have another go at fishing long. need to get used to it or confirm i cant do it !

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
No one ever just picks up a pole at 16m for the first time, and can fish it properly, it takes a lot of practice, and technique, and confidence, as I’ve put before, it’s not the be-all and end -all ,but in match fishing it’s a good strength to have

robert d

Site Supporter
I tried my new pole at 16m on Friday, Sensas 855
Felt really heavy, very uncomfortable.
I admit to having never used a pole at that length before so it could be normal and something practice will make easier.
Seeing the float tip is another thing, i think i would need a lighthouse or an overshotted self hooking rig.

When i was shipping back an F1 grabbed the bait about 8ft from the bank. Oh got any mates there ?
Spent the rest of the day fishing 9 o'clock 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock with just the top kit, Great days fishing.

I digress, am going out again this morning and will have another go at fishing long. need to get used to it or confirm i cant do it !
Its definitely technique and practice , and remember you only fish at 16m if you need to .You can get very high visible floats and leave the float stem out of the water a little more ,different colour tips can help ,if red is not good try yellow or black on a whitish background. Also get a 2 or 2.5 mill tip at that distance if you cant see a thinner one

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
def need practice fishing at that length, tried to find the pole weight at 16m as ive never used it but looking at the net and the test, it has a decent review at 14.5m and 16m so just a case of practising fishing at that length i think, lots of good videos online covering fishing long pole and roller placement etc.

oh and def start with setting the box correctly or your back will be horrible (been there and done that!), simple thing to get wrong but Tommy P did a great video on just this subject.