16 metres plus Poles ???

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I can fish my long poles (Tourny pro and Exceler) at 16m, but prefer not to as I don't find it easy.
Then again I don't help myself by not carrying two rollers.

But having said that - on the venues I fish (rivers and narrow canals) there are not many occasions when I need to go beyond 14.4 (stated length).

And there are even some occasions when a waggler will outfish a pole at the same distance.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
@robert d

20200430_105133.jpg

It sets the support 80cm in front of my seat with the footplate extended

I lost the plastic sleeves when they pulled off in the mud as I had to use the arms as temporary brolley pegs last year.
A quick fix was to cut a 10cm section off the uprights and use it as a sleeve. It fits well and I used a pop-rivet to secure in place. If anything it makes the uprights easier to use as well as you have less underneath the clamp and so nothing to interfere with nets

alsur

Site Supporter
Your allowed to fish upto the boundaries of your peg which in most cases is 16-17.5 m... i like fishing long, but it’s not always a nice experience, if it’s windy etc, but sometimes has to be done ?‍♂️
Fishing at 16m is difficult and you need a reasonably good pole to do it, but I'm convinced people who do it regularly not only develop a better technic but become physically better to. I don't fish that many matches and very rarely fish long and I struggle but I have a friend who has very similar pole to me who still fishes plenty of matches and fishes long regularly and can do it well. Would you agree.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
It's a good box Mark, light enough and sturdy. The only thing I don't like is the seat section is permanently fixed to the frame which causes an issue when I put it in the tub of my pickup as it is too high for the top to close. However, watch this space ;)

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
One thing I don’t do is use a pole support when fishing long, I find you don’t have as much control, and react far slower .... I only use a pole support , upto 10-11 m, in really strong wind, when I want to hold everything dead still, and I’m waiting for bites

Total

Site Supporter
I think you hinted in the past about having a clip on rear section for your pickup...:unsure:......Looks a solid box though...(y)

davylad

In the silvers matches I fish on a particular venue, you only ever see the new lads fishing long. I think they're maybe trying to impress, but I've not known one match to have been won, further than 9 or 10 metres, and usually 2 + 2 and shorter. Winter time would probably be different when the water clears a bit, but they only run from April to October.

Total

Site Supporter
One thing I don’t do is use a pole support when fishing long, I find you don’t have as much control, and react far slower .... I only use a pole support , upto 10-11 m, in really strong wind, when I want to hold everything dead still, and I’m waiting for bites

I have a couple of pole support jobs for my Boss box, their own version and a PUPSS jobbie. (both similar extended type) Although both did a decent job, I used to find they got in my way when fishing matches and nets layout etc.....

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Although I have one I'm not a lover of pole supports. I prefer tilting my box forward and picking the two front legs up slightly on my foot platform. When I know I'll be fishing 16m for any length of time I'll put three rollers up. I find for me this is faster and smoother than using a pole support.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I can fish my long poles (Tourny pro and Exceler) at 16m, but prefer not to as I don't find it easy.
Then again I don't help myself by not carrying two rollers.

But having said that - on the venues I fish (rivers and narrow canals) there are not many occasions when I need to go beyond 14.4 (stated length).

And there are even some occasions when a waggler will outfish a pole at the same distance.
You can get away with one roller you can have your pole sections in 2 pieces 3 sets or 4 sets of 2 on one double roller sitting in your double pole net or preferred way of holding them . I was watching Will Raison using this method only yesterday when fishing for lumps in the margin . His thoughts were if he catches a real lump it would be easier if they were assembled in 2 sections rather than trying to assemble his top 4 or 5 onto the rest if the pole in one long length. He was fishing short but wanted to be ready as some of the fish were munsters lol.. on most occasions 2 rollers is without doubt much safer

chris1967

Site Supporter
It's a good box Mark, light enough and sturdy. The only thing I don't like is the seat section is permanently fixed to the frame which causes an issue when I put it in the tub of my pickup as it is too high for the top to close. However, watch this space ;)

Dont do it dave ,dont start cutting a hole in pick up ;)

robert d

Site Supporter
I have fished a pole at 19 metres on one or two occasions now 16 mtres is a real push, 13 or 14.5 is now my range even though poles have got more well balanced you can't beat old age ;-)
I know what you mean Fred I'm struggling with my wrists shoulders and elbows I thought it was arthritis but its tendonitis and rotator cuffs. I'm doing all sorts of exercises to try to be ready . I remember about ten years ago fishing on a very steep bank for roach at 16m catching one after another up in the water only about 3m over the water shouldn't have even fished there as it wasnt really a peg I sat on the steep bank driffield way ..them were the days strong as a bull lol

JayBee

Site Supporter
@robert d

20200430_105133.jpg

I lost the plastic sleeves when they pulled off in the mud as I had to use the arms as temporary brolley pegs last year.
A quick fix was to cut a 10cm section off the uprights and use it as a sleeve. It fits well and I used a pop-rivet to secure in place. If anything it makes the uprights easier to use as well as you have less underneath the clamp and so nothing to interfere with nets
That footplate looks a bit low, have you got some high heeled moon boots / waders / other footwear?

robert d

Site Supporter
@robert d

20200430_105133.jpg

That looks good Dave well thought out thank you

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I need it low otherwise I have to take my ladder with me to get on it :D