16 metres plus Poles ???

alsur

Site Supporter
Must admit to leaving 16m section of my pole at home as I find it uncomfortable and unwieldy.

Paul.P

Rarely fish beyond 13m to be honest, but when I do ( Like Dave said ) its a must to get your pole rollers set right & I have an octbox with the bump bar set quite a long way in front of me & I set the rollers to combine with the bump bar so the pole is always on rollers when feeding out & I only need to lift when striking or to lift the float up & down, its surprising how much easier that is on your back, oh yea, & get your seat box level !

Total

Site Supporter
Can only fish my pole for short periods at its full 16 metre length, my back is not what it was....Have increasingly turned to running line to fish these days for matches and pleasure fishing....

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Can only fish my pole for short periods at its full 16 metre length, my back is not what it was....Have increasingly turned to running line to fish these days for matches and pleasure fishing....
Have you tried adjusting your seat box Mark ? I have my box slightly tipped forward when I know Im going to be fishing the pole most of the day. ?

Total

Site Supporter
Have you tried adjusting your seat box Mark ? I have my box slightly tipped forward when I know Im going to be fishing the pole most of the day. ?

Hello Mick, Yes mate, have tried all the various box/foot plate heights to find a solution, but no joy....Back is shot... :giggle: Loves me running line these days and only fish the pole if I really have to.(y)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Hello Mick, Yes mate, have tried all the various box/foot plate heights to find a solution, but no joy....Back is shot... :giggle: Loves me running line these days and only fish the pole if I really have to.(y)
Oh dear, sorry to hear that mate. Still, nowt wrong with using a waggler, stick or feeder. Fishing is fishing afterall.

Oh ... Morris says to tell you that he 's happy to ride about in a new Vivaro come September. He wants the sportive model in black with alloy wheels. I told him he cant have black he can have metalic grey or silver so he's sulking now. And thats after I bought him an head torch. Ungrateful little begger. ??

Total

Site Supporter
@tipitinmick .....Talking about motors.....:ROFLMAO:......Left mine ticking over tonight after looking at something on my wife motor that was annoying her.... Mine not had much use etc etc.....Two hours later, Mrs comes in with my keys!...."Battery should be alright now love!"FFS:giggle::ROFLMAO:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
@tipitinmick .....Talking about motors.....:ROFLMAO:......Left mine ticking over tonight after looking at something on my wife motor that was annoying her.... Mine not had much use etc etc.....Two hours later, Mrs comes in with my keys!...."Battery should be alright now love!"FFS:giggle::ROFLMAO:
Thats age creeping up on you mate. I bet you would have remembered if your fishing tackle had been in the back. ?

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
As is well known, UK poles buck the trend of most european-world match angling rulings in that the majority of poles sold in the UK have options in full length of being available in lengths of up to 16mtrs nominal

almost any pole can be bought at 16 metres or even longer these days, from the cheapest budget makes to the more recognised expensive brands

Anglers flock to buy them in such lengths, plus extentions, dollys etc, yet how many actually use those lengths regularly, or fish full 5 hours of a normal match at that length

about the only times in my experience of fishing in matches, is that the all sections to the full length would be used mainly on such lakes that conform to canal style snake lakes or on a canal proper, most of the time, I note that 13 metres or 14.5 is the more common maximum length used

its a tiring old day fishing at extreme lengths Ive found, and so its rarely if ever that the 14.5 or 16 metre sections are used, the majority of my fishing being done from a top three up to 13 metres, especially when on commie carp puddles, where the shelves and underwater features are reasonably close in, no matter what the season is winter, spring summer or autumn

if Ive got to fish at extreme lengths, I would rather chuck a waggler out, far less tiring

that being so, the latest and only new pole Ive ever bought a Daiwa Airity was just a 13 metre length, which though short according to some, came with a much better spares kit, namely 5 complete top 5's including the one on the pole, I still have the option of extending to 16mtrs or even 17 plus with the sections from my older pole which fit the new one, the price was very good as well without the last two sections, being just less than £1100 ( Bobco special offer )

how often do you use the full length, do you use it for an extended period of time, eg most of a match or just when absolutely needed, ?
Its always nice to fish as short as possible I only go to 16m if I really need to . One very good option when fishing long is have your spray bar out as far as possible set so it takes the weight of the pole with it just touching your knee/ thigh so you can lift your leg on the strike. You must be really comfy and set up correctly and have seat box leaning slightly forward and rollers set up properly as has been said . It's nice to have the option to fish 16m but only when absolutely necessary. I'm still trying to get really set up correctly and be comfy at 16m myself lol. Another point to consider is if fishing long have a section on to counter balance the pole I.e have the 16m section on if fishing 14.5 and 14.5 on if fishing 13m . That helps me . One more important point is dont fish long if you are not comfy doing it fishing is to enjoy not knacker you up get the feeder or waggler out in that case

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
My back and right shoulder are totally knackered now so fishing a long pole is a no-no nowadays... I think the longest I can manage these days is about 9 or 10 mts other than that I'll resort to a waggler or bomb, but as my match days are over it's not too much of a problem.... thing is I loved fishing the pole... miles better presentation than a waggler

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I use the Preston pole support in front if need be to give a bit of a rest bite when fishing long, Once again, set it up with your rollers and you can virtually ship straight out without lifting your pole.

I took the plastic ends off the two L shaped brackets that came with the pole support and put them onto the long side of the brackets so that the support sits further away from me, in effect turning the brackets around so the short sides fits into the uprights and the roller fits to the long sides; it gives it better balance and puts less strain on the pole section.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Using 16m on my favourite club lake would see me fishing the far bank, that is the one on the other side of the island.:D

Luckily I find no need to fish at more than 11.5m most of the time. Were I regularly being beaten by others fishing over that distance then I would too. And I would consider buying a new, better pole to do it with. But if I have no need to fish that long I don't see the point other than being able to say "Because I can".

I read of others who say that to compete on their waters you have to fish at 13, 14.5 or 16m. I obviously fish much different venues. Most of the big weights I see and have caught myself have come from much closer in. My biggest match weight came through fishing topkit in the margins for the first three hours then +1 for the second half of the match.

Fish long if you have to, but do you have to? Have you actually tried plundering the line that everyone else is ignoring and bridging over? Might work, might not. But unless you try you will never know.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I use the Preston pole support in front if need be to give a bit of a rest bite when fishing long, Once again, set it up with your rollers and you can virtually ship straight out without lifting your pole.

I took the plastic ends off the two L shaped brackets that came with the pole support and put them onto the long side of the brackets so that the support sits further away from me, in effect turning the brackets around so the short sides fits into the uprights and the roller fits to the long sides; it gives it better balance and puts less strain on the pole section.
I have the octbox double extending footplate so I can set spray bar further out . I'd like to see your set up Dave