16 metres plus Poles ???

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
As is well known, UK poles buck the trend of most european-world match angling rulings in that the majority of poles sold in the UK have options in full length of being available in lengths of up to 16mtrs nominal

almost any pole can be bought at 16 metres or even longer these days, from the cheapest budget makes to the more recognised expensive brands

Anglers flock to buy them in such lengths, plus extentions, dollys etc, yet how many actually use those lengths regularly, or fish full 5 hours of a normal match at that length

about the only times in my experience of fishing in matches, is that the all sections to the full length would be used mainly on such lakes that conform to canal style snake lakes or on a canal proper, most of the time, I note that 13 metres or 14.5 is the more common maximum length used

its a tiring old day fishing at extreme lengths Ive found, and so its rarely if ever that the 14.5 or 16 metre sections are used, the majority of my fishing being done from a top three up to 13 metres, especially when on commie carp puddles, where the shelves and underwater features are reasonably close in, no matter what the season is winter, spring summer or autumn

if Ive got to fish at extreme lengths, I would rather chuck a waggler out, far less tiring

that being so, the latest and only new pole Ive ever bought a Daiwa Airity was just a 13 metre length, which though short according to some, came with a much better spares kit, namely 5 complete top 5's including the one on the pole, I still have the option of extending to 16mtrs or even 17 plus with the sections from my older pole which fit the new one, the price was very good as well without the last two sections, being just less than £1100 ( Bobco special offer )

how often do you use the full length, do you use it for an extended period of time, eg most of a match or just when absolutely needed, ?

Dusty

Never fished at 16m for an extended period of time, last season I think I fished 13m only once when fishing a snake lake and didn’t enjoy it as I had a heavy pole, I’ve since upgraded to account for this.

Ive seen a few of the lads in our club fishing at 16m, one even stands up when fishing at that distance (why?)

Most of my decent weights have come fishing On 2+2 or in the margins.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I very rarely use a pole, but when I do the maximum I use it is 13 metres. Like you, I think over that is more likely to be a waggler chuck for me.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I've got one but haven't used it at full length yet. Bought it last year as part of a job lot...a Sensas 724. I prefer fishing the short pole really.
I'm not really sure where the two short sections go, that came with it.

Flathead

Site Supporter
Rarely fish more than 10/11 metres. I don’t match fish and usually use the pole on fen
drains and rivers.

Don’t think I could, or would want to, fish any longer nowadays

endpeg

Depends where you fish, a lot of venues in the NW require you to fish 16m.
I can fish 17.5m if needed but it's not easy or comfortable for long periods also impossible when windy!

mimississ

Site Supporter
I packed in match fishing a good 10 years ago.... Back then you could use floating pole.. Is it still allowed in matches.... Or has it gone the same way as the Fishery pellets only rule.....

stephanie

I have fished at 16 meters where needed but mostly up to 13 meters most of the time my main pole is a shimano super ultegra ax which I bought because I got a good deal and the spares package that came with it ie 7 top kits cupping kit and 2 spare 4s the only addition to it I made was getting some universal top kits for it so at the moment I have 12 I think

stephenk

Site Supporter
As is well known, UK poles buck the trend of most european-world match angling rulings in that the majority of poles sold in the UK have options in full length of being available in lengths of up to 16mtrs nominal

almost any pole can be bought at 16 metres or even longer these days, from the cheapest budget makes to the more recognised expensive brands

Anglers flock to buy them in such lengths, plus extentions, dollys etc, yet how many actually use those lengths regularly, or fish full 5 hours of a normal match at that length

about the only times in my experience of fishing in matches, is that the all sections to the full length would be used mainly on such lakes that conform to canal style snake lakes or on a canal proper, most of the time, I note that 13 metres or 14.5 is the more common maximum length used

its a tiring old day fishing at extreme lengths Ive found, and so its rarely if ever that the 14.5 or 16 metre sections are used, the majority of my fishing being done from a top three up to 13 metres, especially when on commie carp puddles, where the shelves and underwater features are reasonably close in, no matter what the season is winter, spring summer or autumn

if Ive got to fish at extreme lengths, I would rather chuck a waggler out, far less tiring

that being so, the latest and only new pole Ive ever bought a Daiwa Airity was just a 13 metre length, which though short according to some, came with a much better spares kit, namely 5 complete top 5's including the one on the pole, I still have the option of extending to 16mtrs or even 17 plus with the sections from my older pole which fit the new one, the price was very good as well without the last two sections, being just less than £1100 ( Bobco special offer )

how often do you use the full length, do you use it for an extended period of time, eg most of a match or just when absolutely needed, ?
That's a really good way of buying - 13m and extra 4s & 5s. Like you say you can use other compatible extensions to go longer ?

JayBee

Site Supporter
The thing is, if you want to fish at 14.5m a 16m pole is better, as every pole I've handled is much nicer with a section off maximum length.
That 16m section certainly comes in handy when nature calls and there are people about.....One eyed trouser snake in one end, and a relieving dribble into the margins.
I'm not sure that the ultra slim MAP 1001 16m section would be big enough for me!

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I fish 16 and 17.5 m a lot at Tunnel Barn in the winter ,not just to fish to the far shelf, but fishing well out of the peg ... sometimes in the summer if catching up the mud line ....sometimes in the winter, you’re fishing long most of the match, until the maggot line comes good, usually last 45 mins

richox12

The thing is, if you want to fish at 14.5m a 16m pole is better, as every pole I've handled is much nicer with a section off maximum length.

Of course they will. They're now 1 section and around 1.8m shorter ! Every pole with a section less feels better than the longer length before.

However, a 14.5 Airity (bought as 14.5) will not feel better than a 16.0 Airity with a section off. They are the same thing.

stephenk

Site Supporter
That 16m section certainly comes in handy when nature calls and there are people about.....One eyed trouser snake in one end, and a relieving dribble into the margins.
I'm not sure that the ultra slim MAP 1001 16m section would be big enough for me!
Totally agree. In the example of his airity though he was buying 13m of a 16m pole ....if that makes sense. Can then extend with other uk daiwa butt sections

JayBee

Site Supporter
Of course they will. They're now 1 section and around 1.8m shorter ! Every pole with a section less feels better than the longer length before.

However, a 14.5 Airity (bought as 14.5) will not feel better than a 16.0 Airity with a section off. They are the same thing.
Totally agree, but there are not too many high end poles that are available as a 14.5m option, and when it comes to sell your pole , a lot of anglers will look for the used 16m option.......Whether they will use it regularly or not.

chris1967

Site Supporter
Its two sections ,put em on if you need them leave them in bag if you dont .Most manufacturers are leaning towards supplying poles today as standard as 16m anyway .Ive got 16m i always leave the 16m and the dolly butt in garage at home

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
have used poles at full length loads, from canals to rivers and lakes, match and pleasure fishing. If i need to fish at full length to catch what i want then i will though mostly these days i fish commercials and most are 13m max to reach the far side. Always have them with me as you just never know. same as anything, if you dont have it with you then you cant use it!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've fished at 16m several times but would prefer not to as it can be hard work, especially in wind.

The biggest part is setting your rollers out correctly as you need to have smooth shipping from your rollers, across your leg without bouncing. Likewise your pole ideally needs to be clean and dry so that it's smooth to ship out so you don't get a wobble on.
And don't fish too light as you can wrap your rig up otherwise.

richox12

Its two sections ,put em on if you need them leave them in bag if you dont .Most manufacturers are leaning towards supplying poles today as standard as 16m anyway .Ive got 16m i always leave the 16m and the dolly butt in garage at home

Blimey. That's expensive.