15lb flurocarbon line with a size 2 hook for perch

Itsdrew93

im new to dropshot fishing and was watching a YouTube video and some guy recommended a size 2 hook with 15lb flurocarbon line set up im fishing for perch so im just wondering if that will work as ive already ordered the line and hooks or will i be better off using a size 12 hook and 8lb flurocarbon line will i be better off using that set up or the set up the YouTube guy recommended or does it really matter or can anyone give me some advice on which set up shall i use to catch the most fish thanks alot

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The hook size is dependent on the size of the lure but 15lb fluorocarbon seems very excessive, that’s sea fishing territory.

DFL

Site Supporter
Agree with above. I will use up to 8lb in a snaggy swim but 6lb would be my go to bs, keep in mind you will hook a pike occasionally.

A size 2 hook also seems excessive but it’s amazing how even the smallest of perch will engulf a huge hook.

Dusty

im new to dropshot fishing and was watching a YouTube video and some guy recommended a size 2 hook with 15lb flurocarbon line set up im fishing for perch so im just wondering if that will work as ive already ordered the line and hooks or will i be better off using a size 12 hook and 8lb flurocarbon line will i be better off using that set up or the set up the YouTube guy recommended or does it really matter or can anyone give me some advice on which set up shall i use to catch the most fish thanks alot

Could be in case a pike is hooked? Not sure though.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I can understand going up to that if pike become a problem but I wouldn’t start that high.

DFL

Site Supporter
Good question. In a pike infested water you’d need one but then I most probably wouldn’t dropshot, to me, using a wire trace takes some of the dropshotting fun away which is all about using a sensitive and subtle setup.

nejohn

Site Supporter
When I drop shot on the canal I use 4lb maxima, the perch run to about 2lb and had pike upto about 6lb, hook size is dependent on the lure but I would say I don't use anything bigger than a size 10

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
I don't drop shot myself but 15lb sounds excessive. There is a wealth of experience and advice on here, they'll put you right. Enjoy.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
The guys I go with prefer to use 15-20b braid mainline for all their lure and drop shot fishing (Zander & Perch mainly)
For drop shotting they will use 6-10lb fluoro as it provides a stiffer link but if there are plenty of pike around then a trace would always be first choice.
As for size two hooks and Perch - I use 20lb braid and 2s for most of my small 1/2 dead bait fishing for Zander and Perch and you will be amazed how small perch can take a bait that's nearly as big as them.
Although Pike have sharper teeth than Zander the braid will give you more of a chance if one hits than mono will.

Last edited:

Itsdrew93

The guys I go with prefer to use 15-20b braid mainline for all their lure and drop shot fishing (Zander & Perch mainly)
For drop shotting they will use 6-10lb fluoro as it provides a stiffer link but if there are plenty of pike around then a trace would always be first choice.
As for size two hooks and Perch - I use 20lb braid and 2s for most of my small 1/2 dead bait fishing for Zander and Perch and you will be amazed how small perch can take a bait that's nearly as big as them.
Although Pike have sharper teeth than Zander the braid will give you more of a chance if one hits than mono will.
Yhyh nice one mate so what you use size two hooks yh and yh im using 20lb braid aswell but as for the flurocarbon line you think it'll be alright to use or not

Itsdrew93

Yhyh nice one mate so what you use size two hooks yh and yh im using 20lb braid aswell but as for the flurocarbon line you think it'll be alright to use or not
Ive never dropshot fished before only carp fished so i know hardly anything about dropshot fishing

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I use 6/8lb fluoro if theres no Pike... if there are Pike about I put a trace above the hook... it makes sense it saves bite offs and saves leaving hooks in fish... use barbless or at the least crushed barbs