15ft float rod (trotting)

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I'm after a longer float rod now, looking around there seem to be very few affordable ones. There are some older second hand rods on the bay, I've also spied a 15ft Tricast Finesse coming up at a fairly local auction, but not sure how much they go for. The other options are Drennan or Cadence, so for lighter work (roach,dace occasional chub) what would be the better choice, Drennan Matchpro ultralight or acolyte ultra, or Cadence CR10 #0 or #1. May wait until "The Big One" to have a waggle, but in the meantime, would it be worth a punt on the Tricast, and at what price ?

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Add the Maver Signature Pro Classic to your shortlist. They've been recently discontinued, so there's a chance of getting one for a very good price. They are decent enough rods at full price.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Add the Maver Signature Pro Classic to your shortlist. They've been recently discontinued, so there's a chance of getting one for a very good price. They are decent enough rods at full price.
Thanks, there's a few on ebay at the moment, a firm I've had bargains from before has them on an auction. Any views regarding the Tricast Finesse ?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I love my 13ft acolyte ultra so I’d imagine the 15ft is very nice as well. It’s by far the best rod I’ve used for fish in the 3oz to 3lb bracket but also you don’t bump off fish half that size or struggle too much with fish twice that size either. The match pro ultra light is also a nice rod and would be doable cheaper if you have budget constraints. I’ve not used the signature pro but from a waggle it does feel nice.

Mr Barry S

I'm after a longer float rod now, looking around there seem to be very few affordable ones. There are some older second hand rods on the bay, I've also spied a 15ft Tricast Finesse coming up at a fairly local auction, but not sure how much they go for. The other options are Drennan or Cadence, so for lighter work (roach,dace occasional chub) what would be the better choice, Drennan Matchpro ultralight or acolyte ultra, or Cadence CR10 #0 or #1. May wait until "The Big One" to have a waggle, but in the meantime, would it be worth a punt on the Tricast, and at what price ?
I have a Cadance 15' rod that is pretty good, good rod for the price

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Any views regarding the Tricast Finesse ?

None that are worth a damn, I've not used one. Sliding rod bands tend to put me off rods these days.
I know others disagree, but I'd suggest that the Acolyte Ultra is well worth the extra money over the Matchpro Ultralight, especially when you are intending to use it for trotting.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I agree, I think the acolyte ultra is a bit more of an all round float rod than the ultralight match pro.

MarkW

I've yet to see the real advantage in a 15' rod unless you are fishing deep water at range eg the Bristol Avon below Bath. The rods are less 'crisp' and wieldy than a good 13' rod which has long been my rod of choice. I've tried longer rods right up to 20' but find them hard work. That said I have to look after my elbow as it's prone to cartilage problems.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I have not tried a Tri-cast finnesse but I do have a John Allerton 15' which I like very much I also have a 15' sphere which is lighter than the allerton but that said the allerton does not feel over heavy as it is well balanced once you put a reel on. Ther action of the 2 rods are slightly different, I find the Allerton is a little stiffer for more of its length than the sphere but the sphere has a very fast recovery rate which is a big advantage to help stop bumping fish like dace in fast currents. I like both rods but I must admit I am finding the handle of the sphere a little difficult to get used to, it just doesn't seem to sit right in my hand probably just a personal thing but one you should take into consideration if thinking about buying one. I can not recommend an acolyte as I do not get on with the action of these rods I find them all just a little soft in the middle section and they just don't suit me, I think the action of the match pros is a little better ...well for me anyway. I also can not comment on the Cadence rods as I have only ever had a very short waggle of a 13ft #2 which was OK but nothing special and comaparable with other upper mid priced rods on the market. One bit of advice I would give is do not buy a long float rod blind as they are a very specilised piece of kit and any issues with action and feel tend to be magnified the longer the rod, most certainly a case of what suits one person maybe the rod from hell for someone else. Also I have yet to find a good cheap long float rod certainly a case of you get what you pay for, if you are on a budget you may be better looking at the second hand market

trotter2

Don't buy anything else at that length than an acolyte. If you don't believe me go to bobco and compare 15ft rods side by side. Second hand ones go for about 120 in decent condition.

MarkW

I have not tried a Tri-cast finnesse but I do have a John Allerton 15' which I like very much I also have a 15' sphere which is lighter than the allerton but that said the allerton does not feel over heavy as it is well balanced once you put a reel on. Ther action of the 2 rods are slightly different, I find the Allerton is a little stiffer for more of its length than the sphere but the sphere has a very fast recovery rate which is a big advantage to help stop bumping fish like dace in fast currents. I like both rods but I must admit I am finding the handle of the sphere a little difficult to get used to, it just doesn't seem to sit right in my hand probably just a personal thing but one you should take into consideration if thinking about buying one. I can not recommend an acolyte as I do not get on with the action of these rods I find them all just a little soft in the middle section and they just don't suit me, I think the action of the match pros is a little better ...well for me anyway. I also can not comment on the Cadence rods as I have only ever had a very short waggle of a 13ft #2 which was OK but nothing special and comaparable with other upper mid priced rods on the market. One bit of advice I would give is do not buy a long float rod blind as they are a very specilised piece of kit and any issues with action and feel tend to be magnified the longer the rod, most certainly a case of what suits one person maybe the rod from hell for someone else. Also I have yet to find a good cheap long float rod certainly a case of you get what you pay for, if you are on a budget you may be better looking at the second hand market
I got the 13' Allerton 3 years ago and love it even though I am spoilt for choice. I would love a go with a Sphere but I don't really need one. I use a modified reel seat on the Allerton which is removable and the Match has a shortened reel foot. The plastic top piece clips on and is held in place by the bike inner tube. It's very comfortable to use.

Attachments

• IMG_4203small.JPG
    IMG_4203small.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4204small.JPG
    IMG_4204small.JPG
    171.4 KB · Views: 31

SpenBeck

Site Supporter
Does the Finesse have full cork handle with reel rings or a screw reel seat? If it has reel rings you might struggle with modern reels fitting them.

Shakespeare do the Agility 2 15ft Match Rod, which if anything like the Mach III or Super Team will ba a great rod for £80

frankg

Site Supporter

Cadence 15' #1 is a lovely rod for roach, dace, perch etc and will handle bonus fish like chub and even barbel.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve got the acolyte ultra and cadence #1 both in 13ft and whilst I’ve only used the cadence once so far compared to a year’s use of the acolyte I can tell the acolyte is superior by a reasonable amount. That’s not to say the cadence isn’t a good rod as it definitely is good but it’s definitely not in the acolytes league which is fair enough as it is quite a bit cheaper.

david white

Site Supporter

I agree wholeheartedly with the above especially “ don’t buy blind “ for the very reasons mentioned ( although I can’t comment on the sphere in any way ) I bought the Cadence 15 ft #1 and at its price ( at the time within my budget ) I can’t fault it ( obviously there will bee ‘ better ‘ rods out there both in reality and in people’s minds ( not the same thing !! )

trotter2

Good longer rods like 15ft for trotting which are anything like don't come cheap. If you cannot stretch to the prices you would be better going for a standard 13 ft rod rather than a 15 ft rod that you will wish you had never bought the thing after 1/2 hrs fishing.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Good longer rods like 15ft for trotting which are anything like don't come cheap. If you cannot stretch to the prices you would be better going for a standard 13 ft rod rather than a 15 ft rod that you will wish you had never bought the thing after 1/2 hrs fishing.
Got a 13ft shimano twin power spliced tip I use, just fancied a longer rod for the Thames. Went to the auction to look at the Tricast, looked nice, except the top 2-3 inches were missing, so unless I can get it for silly cheap money, I'll give it a miss.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Are you on the lower Thames? Can understand the need for a longer rod if you are as it does get big and deep. I had a session down there last year and had to fish fairly close in to comfortably fish with a 13ft rod whereas an extra foot would have made things a bit easier. I wouldn't have got it under the tree canopy mind!

Up here on the Oxfordshire Thames 13ft is plenty as most stretches aren't very deep and there's not much long casting needed. There's a couple bits where an extra foot would help but even they aren't deep or wide enough for it to be necessary or a struggle with 13ft.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Are you on the lower Thames? Can understand the need for a longer rod if you are as it does get big and deep. I had a session down there last year and had to fish fairly close in to comfortably fish with a 13ft rod whereas an extra foot would have made things a bit easier. I wouldn't have got it under the tree canopy mind!

Up here on the Oxfordshire Thames 13ft is plenty as most stretches aren't very deep and there's not much long casting needed. There's a couple bits where an extra foot would help but even they aren't deep or wide enough for it to be necessary or a struggle with 13ft.
Kingston,Walton and the surrounding areas. Mind you, usually you could fish a sliding waggler and put your rod in a rest, even after rain it's almost static.