14 or 15ft float rod

Rickb

Evening gents, im looking to buy one of the above, im thinking more along the 15ft but not sure yet.
looking for some recommendations, it will be used for the Warks Avon and Severn mainly in deeper swims or distance wagg or Bolo, species will be mainly Roach and Chub.
thanks

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
I have both but if I was only going to get one rod I would go for the 15' one. That is my 'go to' length when fishing top and bottom floats. I usually use 13 or 14' for the waggler.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
What’s the budget? I’d go 15ft if you definitely have space but if not 14ft, there’s a few places I fish where 15ft would hit the foliage! As such my set up is a 14ft and a 13ft.

Ivan heaphurst

I have a Drennan Acolite, it is like a magic wand, so light and ideal for rivers especially if like the River Weaver are deep. If Ihave a grumble ,because it is tippy I do get the line twisted around the tip of the rod. This s a minor grumble though. It can handle fair sized fish but I wouldn’t be using it for Barbel on moving water or Carp in snaggy still.
Another grumble is that the rod bag it comes in is bobbins.

Rickb

Cheers gents, appreciate the thoughts on length between 14 and 15, i did have a 16ft but sold it on as i just couldnt get on with the length, as used to 13ft.
i have the Acolyte plus in 13 very nice tool but i use it a lot so it was worth the money, not sure id use the 15ft as much at all so would rather keep a lower budget or look used, you gets what you pay for though lol.
Anybody used the maver powerlite 15/17 as one of those has come up locally and was thinking it may be ok at 15 ?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
If you wanted to go a bit cheaper you could look at the cadences could probably get a 15ft for about £150 as opposed to over £200 for another acolyte.

Dropon

Good quality gear is Cadence, nicely finished and good quality fittings. Have a look on Cadence website and blogs on their site. Best of luck .

david white

Site Supporter
Another recommendation for the Cadence brand
It really is down to what length actually suits your requirements and backside foliage limitations of course ! the longer the rod the better the line control on moving water, I prefer 15 ft rod ( Cadence #1 ) for top and bottom floats the line control is improved considerably, but the Cadence 14 ft #0 is possibly the best light float rod I’ve ever used, it’s nigh on perfection, I can’t wait to hook a big roach on it to confirm how I think it will perform

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
And the cadence 15ft is also available as a #0 and is in stock :)

I use 13ft and 16ft rods on the rivers that you name.
I do use the 13ft rods in preference (when it's not too deep), so the longer rod only comes out for fishing the bolo really (ie. fixed waggler in depths over 11ft isn't really practical).
As such, I'm underarm or side-casting.
I've had both 15 and 17ft (and 18 and 20) rods in the past and found the longer rods unwieldy (but likely an acolyte 17 would not be) .... whereas the 15ft was not enough of a difference to my 13ft rods.

PeteC

I think it quite alarming just how many rods I do have..!!

Anyway, I love my Acolyte 17' and could fish a stick with that all day..the action is somewhere between an ultra and a plus...don't think I'd recommend it for a waggler though.

I have an acolyte ultra 14' and absolutely love that too...I tried the 14' and 15' versions of the ultra and the plus at the same time...the plus I found a bit stiff and then found that the 15' versions both seemed to develop a bit of a wobble in the mid section if you know what I mean, hence why I went with the 14'

I also have a cadence 14' #1 which I use with a waggler..again a lovely rod and perfect for my needs.

There's no substitute for have a waggle of the rods together unfortunately which is something not possible with the cadence range.....if you can wait that long James has a stand at the Angling shows, but that's not until next April I believe.....also, depending on where you live there may be one of their ambassadors nearby who you could meet up with. Cadence have a Facebook page where you can ask for advice from both the company and from individuals so perhaps have a look there too. Good luck..!

richox12

I'd personally pick a 15ft over a 14ft if I could. But then i'd pick a 14ft over a 13ft, and a 13ft over a 12ft for top & bottom work. If the bankside allowed me i'd pick longer virtually every time.

It's weird but every Cadence float rod I have picked up either had a bent or a twisted tip. Noticeably. Nothing wrong with actions - all nice. 13ft a nice rod, 14ft OK but 15ft not even in same league as an Acolyte. But that's price for you. I looked at a 15ft a couple of weeks ago and it was big in diameter and a bit too top heavy but had a Donkey's hind leg for a top section. But, again, a very nice action. Guides were too short though.

The rule of thumb that you get what you pay for seems true for float rods the longer you go in terms of weight/balance etc.

Rickb

I'd personally pick a 15ft over a 14ft if I could. But then i'd pick a 14ft over a 13ft, and a 13ft over a 12ft for top & bottom work. If the bankside allowed me i'd pick longer virtually every time.

It's weird but every Cadence float rod I have picked up either had a bent or a twisted tip. Noticeably. Nothing wrong with actions - all nice. 13ft a nice rod, 14ft OK but 15ft not even in same league as an Acolyte. But that's price for you. I looked at a 15ft a couple of weeks ago and it was big in diameter and a bit too top heavy but had a Donkey's hind leg for a top section. But, again, a very nice action. Guides were too short though.

The rule of thumb that you get what you pay for seems true for float rods the longer you go in terms of weight/balance etc.
I agree R

Rickb

I agree Rich, i have looked at 3 cadence rods and all have had a twisted top, just the float rods.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Aren’t Cadence essentially rebranded Shakespeare rods? I’ve just bought a 15’ Maver signature pro. Now have 11, 13 and 15’ rods. Horses for courses and all that.

TiggerXFM

Aren’t Cadence essentially rebranded Shakespeare rods? I’ve just bought a 15’ Maver signature pro. Now have 11, 13 and 15’ rods. Horses for courses and all that.
I have had a go with a 15ft sig pro and it was a nice rod. I liked the handle and reel seat also, very comfy to hold.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I don't think that they are .... they have a similar design philosophy to Shakespeare rods of the James Robbins era (unsurprisingly)
I Have some different models of the mach 3 range and my cadence #2 has a significantly softer tip section.
I've also used two prototypes of the cadence range ... so they were developed separately.

nejohn

Site Supporter
As a general purpose (ie to use for both stick and waggler) for silvers and the odd chub and Barbel my money would go on a Maver Signature pro (come to think of it my money did go on a 15ft signature pro) I quite like the 15ft version as it is slightly stiffer and has a little more backbone than an Acolyte and not really much heavier it is also well balanced with a 3000 size reel (I tend to use mine with a Daiwa TDM)