13ft Barbel rod

Rickb

Any advice on the above before i buy, looking for one for floodwater fishing on the Severn and wye
Thanks Rick

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Mind if ask the thinking behind the extra foot @Rickb ?

Test curve more important I would say to get the weight out. Twin tops in 1.75 and 2.2 do the job in 12ft versions and high up in the rests (2.2 top if needed to put out plus 4oz or so). Apologies if I am missing something about the 13ft thing.

mimississ

Site Supporter
Eyup m8.i bought a pair of daiwa powermesh 2.75 barbel rods...I normally use 2.25 on the tidal Trent...but stepped up to the 2.75 TC. What a difference...much more ooomph in the cast...well worth putting them in your armoury

mimississ

Site Supporter
Eyup m8.i bought a pair of daiwa 12ft powermesh 2.75 barbel rods...I normally use 2.25 on the tidal Trent...but stepped up to the 2.75 TC. What a difference...much more ooomph in the cast...well worth putting them in your armoury..no need for 13ft imo...

Rickb

Your not missing anything mate, i have numerous rods for my feeder fishing, but looking for something for Big floods i can leave set up with a 5000 baitrunner and heavy gear, i have two shimano 12ft specimens rated at 2lb tc but they are more of a playing rod if you know what i mean, trying to cast BIG homemade feeders full is impossible with them, you can get away with a lob, so selling those.
Also the 13ft does make a difference in higher test curve rods i think, it gives that softness for playing without losing the power for casting.
Any way i popped in my local angling direct for some bait to fish a flooded Severn on Saturday and they had a Korum 2.5 tc 13ft barbel rod at £42 with discount £38, so had that and it performed like a dream

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Not 13 foot But ive got 2 of the Martin Bowler 2 and a Quarter TC Big river Barbel rods and they are the best rods ive ever used (y)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Only my opinion but, I prefer a 13' over a 12'. My 11/13' Daiwa Amorphous ultra heavy do me fine.