12ft rod

bubfesch

Hey there, I might have a stupid question but didn´t find a answer yet...
I´ve always been fishing 12ft feeder rods in 3 piece. Now I want to buy myself a 2 piece feeder rod in 12ft, because I don´t have a dealer nearby I´m forced to buy online.
My question is if a 2 piece rod has always the same lenght when split up for the transport, for example first piece 1.8m and the second piece with the tip also 1.8m ?

Hope you can help me and sorry for ma bad english, I´m from Austria.

Best regarda and thight lines :)

RMNDIL

Site Supporter
Not necessarily as I always made the butt just a few cm longer than the tip to help protect the tip when folded. But they should be very close.

Browner

Site Supporter
Hey there, I might have a stupid question but didn´t find a answer yet...
I´ve always been fishing 12ft feeder rods in 3 piece. Now I want to buy myself a 2 piece feeder rod in 12ft, because I don´t have a dealer nearby I´m forced to buy online.
My question is if a 2 piece rod has always the same lenght when split up for the transport, for example first piece 1.8m and the second piece with the tip also 1.8m ?

Hope you can help me and sorry for ma bad english, I´m from Austria.

Best regarda and thight lines :)
Your English is far better than my Austrian.(German or Bavarian)
Generally, I would say 2 piece feeder rods are split 2 equal pieces.
Depending how much you want to spend, I would suggest looking at the Drennan range. My reasons being, they are widely available and if buying online from the UK, you will probably have a lot of companies willing to post overseas. Also the range of spare tips available is massive. Carbon or glass, slow or fast taper. Plus spares are kept for a long time should you break something.

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
Hi!
As a general rule of thumb I would say yes - many 2 piece 12ft rods will be configured as you predict, but not all. Try and check on the transport length (where it is quoted for the rod), or if in doubt check with the on line supplier or the manufacturer via their website. For example Browning's Hyperdrome feeder which I am thinking about buying is described as a two section 12ft feeder rod, but it's transport length looks a lot less than 1.8 metres. This is due to the tip section being really long I think and advertised as unbreakable (it's for specimen fishing in still waters/commercials). Drennan's Acolyte Ultra and Plus ranges are 1.8m transport lengths as I believe are their Vertex rods. Meanwhile Daiwa's Nzon range does both 2 and 3 piece 12 ft rods while their cheaper Ninja feeders are just 2

Hope this helps rather than confuses

bubfesch

Your English is far better than my Austrian.(German or Bavarian)
Generally, I would say 2 piece feeder rods are split 2 equal pieces.
Depending how much you want to spend, I would suggest looking at the Drennan range. My reasons being, they are widely available and if buying online from the UK, you will probably have a lot of companies willing to post overseas. Also the range of spare tips available is massive. Carbon or glass, slow or fast taper. Plus spares are kept for a long time should you break something.
Thanks Browner, well one of the reasons to switch over to 2 piece rods are the Drennan rods because I always wanted to own one. Now that the Acolyte distance feeder rods are available I´m thinking about buying one, not because I need to fish in distance but because in the lake I fish there are big carp and I think the distance rod will have more power during the fight than the Acolyte plus range, or am I wrong ?

The only problem I´ve is that I bought last year a supera rodbag which cost me a fortune for my 3 piece rods and I´m quite sure when buying a Drennan rod all my other rods will rot in my cave ;)

bubfesch

Hi!
As a general rule of thumb I would say yes - many 2 piece 12ft rods will be configured as you predict, but not all. Try and check on the transport length (where it is quoted for the rod), or if in doubt check with the on line supplier or the manufacturer via their website. For example Browning's Hyperdrome feeder which I am thinking about buying is described as a two section 12ft feeder rod, but it's transport length looks a lot less than 1.8 metres. This is due to the tip section being really long I think and advertised as unbreakable (it's for specimen fishing in still waters/commercials). Drennan's Acolyte Ultra and Plus ranges are 1.8m transport lengths as I believe are their Vertex rods. Meanwhile Daiwa's Nzon range does both 2 and 3 piece 12 ft rods while their cheaper Ninja feeders are just 2

Hope this helps rather than confuses
Thanks, you helped me :) On the pictures its always difficult to see, but when buying a piece rod I also want to let the top tip on otherwise it makes no sense for me having a 2 piece :)

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Thanks, you helped me :) On the pictures its always difficult to see, but when buying a piece rod I also want to let the top tip on otherwise it makes no sense for me having a 2 piece :)
I'm into 3 piece 12 ft rods these days one being for carp at distances over 50 metres, and the other for silvers up to 40- 50 metres. I find it easier to carry shorter holdalls in my smaller car at a cost of a more complex assembly for ready made up rods which I always use now. The rod in my profile pic is a 2 piece Drennan Acolyte Plus which has handled some goodly sized lumps, and is a nice rod imo. More sensitive tips for that rod have now recently become available from Drennan which makes the rod even more versatile. The 12ft version will cast to around 60 metres weather conditions permitting

Dropon

Regarding Drennan quiver tips, looking at their product range on the Drennan website it would appear the “ fast taper tips are discontinued. Perhaps RMNDIL can comment.

Last edited:

bubfesch

I'm into 3 piece 12 ft rods these days one being for carp at distances over 50 metres, and the other for silvers up to 40- 50 metres. I find it easier to carry shorter holdalls in my smaller car at a cost of a more complex assembly for ready made up rods which I always use now. The rod in my profile pic is a 2 piece Drennan Acolyte Plus which has handled some goodly sized lumps, and is a nice rod imo. More sensitive tips for that rod have now recently become available from Drennan which makes the rod even more versatile. The 12ft version will cast to around 60 metres weather conditions permitting
I measured my car this morning and a 1.9m holdall would fit exactly in. I´m not sure if the Acolyte plus would be ok for me, I´m targetting bream and tench but in the lake there are also carp with 25 pound and more. I´m not focused catching those but you never know...

Total

Site Supporter
Thanks for that , if you look at Drennan website , products , rods , spare tips only slow taper listed. Thanks again.
If you use the search function on the Drennan website for 'Fast taper tips' it comes up. with the page shown....Looks like their website is missing that link where the slow taper tip is shown.....

The one and only Harvey

He lives well who hides well
Site Supporter
Look no further that Drennan. The rods are excellent and they have the best after sale service of the lot. I prefer slow taper tips.

bubfesch

Look no further that Drennan. The rods are excellent and they have the best after sale service of the lot. I prefer slow taper tips.
I like the brand itself because for me it represents the traditional english fishing culture :) I've heard the after sale service is horrible because Drennan gives no guarantee for their rods, maybe I'm wrong with that...
I'm just not sure if I should buy the distance or plus series. My feeling says that I should go for the distance model because of the power reserves when having a bigger carp in fight.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I measured my car this morning and a 1.9m holdall would fit exactly in. I´m not sure if the Acolyte plus would be ok for me, I´m targetting bream and tench but in the lake there are also carp with 25 pound and more. I´m not focused catching those but you never know...
If you are into bream and Drennan, then the Ultra is the Acolyte for you! This rod has a lovely action, and spare Acolyte tips are fairly easy to get hold of both carbon fibre and glass! The Plus has the extra power which comes in handy for bringing bigger lumps to the net more quickly, but not so good with bringing in soft mouthed fish

Don't forget to give Tricast a look. IMO Couldn't find a better rod for the price. Not big on looks but awesome on performance

bubfesch

If you are into bream and Drennan, then the Ultra is the Acolyte for you! This rod has a lovely action, and spare Acolyte tips are fairly easy to get hold of both carbon fibre and glass! The Plus has the extra power which comes in handy for bringing bigger lumps to the net more quickly, but not so good with bringing in soft mouthed fish

Don't forget to give Tricast a look. IMO Couldn't find a better rod for the price. Not big on looks but awesome on performance
Thanks, well I'm into bream, tench and roach but also carp, for the moment I use the Browning Argon 2.0 rod which is great in my opinion. The rod has enough backbone to handle bigger carp.
I've never used a Drennan rod and I'm not able to get my hands on one, so I need to buy online but not sure if the plus or the distance series would fit me... I think the ultra series would be to soft when fighting a 12pound carp :/

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Thanks, well I'm into bream, tench and roach but also carp, for the moment I use the Browning Argon 2.0 rod which is great in my opinion. The rod has enough backbone to handle bigger carp.
I've never used a Drennan rod and I'm not able to get my hands on one, so I need to buy online but not sure if the plus or the distance series would fit me... I think the ultra series would be to soft when fighting a 12pound carp :/
I haven't tried the Argon range but I do like the Black Viper rods for bream, and river work. I use Daiwa's Cast'izm rod for distance work for big bream and carp as well as Preston's Distance master for longer chucks. I normally use a shorter rod for carp generally on commercials like the Speedmaster or Browning's Sphere range (nice rods).

I agree, getting a decent sized carp to the net is harder work with an Ultra but ok for winter carp work when they will be less energetic in the fight. I don't know anything about the distance rods that Drennan produce apart from the fact that their tips are unique to that model. Now that Drennan are supplying more sensitive carbon tips with the Plus range by default, a 12ft Acolyte Plus might do the trick for you. From memory I think Drennan now also have a 1oz tip for more sensitive bites as an additional extra

bubfesch

I haven't tried the Argon range but I do like the Black Viper rods for bream, and river work. I use Daiwa's Cast'izm rod for distance work for big bream and carp as well as Preston's Distance master for longer chucks. I normally use a shorter rod for carp generally on commercials like the Speedmaster or Browning's Sphere range (nice rods).

I agree, getting a decent sized carp to the net is harder work with an Ultra but ok for winter carp work when they will be less energetic in the fight. I don't know anything about the distance rods that Drennan produce apart from the fact that their tips are unique to that model. Now that Drennan are supplying more sensitive carbon tips with the Plus range by default, a 12ft Acolyte Plus might do the trick for you. From memory I think Drennan now also have a 1oz tip for more sensitive bites as an additional extra
My Argon 2.0 is by far the best rod I owned regarding the price you pay.
I'm also fishing alot on commercials but here in Austria they stock up with carp up to 25 pound. When fishing for tench I caught some carp up to 10 pound...
My feeling tells me to go for the plus series, I just love the small blank the rod has, just hopping the big carp will ignore my redworm and corn 😂